Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate and bills

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

endacl wrote: »
    You need the following attitude.

Pay-Up-Sucher-Dollar-Symbol-Tattoo-On-Hand-Palm.jpg

"Yeah? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "It's in the credit union? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "You hadn't budgeted for actually having to pay up? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "What you have left is exactly what you owe me and you won't be able to eat for the rest of the month and will have to drop out of college, return home, and give up on all your hopes and dreams? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".

Just go the whole hog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

endacl wrote: »
    You need the following attitude.

Pay-Up-Sucher-Dollar-Symbol-Tattoo-On-Hand-Palm.jpg

"Yeah? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "It's in the credit union? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "You hadn't budgeted for actually having to pay up? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".
    "What you have left is exactly what you owe me and you won't be able to eat for the rest of the month and will have to drop out of college, return home, and give up on all your hopes and dreams? Don't care. Not my problem. Pay me what you owe me. Now".

Spot on but with more bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I can't believe you'd carry-on 'not caring' for so long......I'm starting to think you're the freeloader, OP. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

fritzelly wrote: »
    How was the tenancy set up? Individually or just the one and sub let on the lease?
    What does is say in the tenancy re bills if anything?

Dont have a lease actually but know the landlord personally so very unlikely to get screwed by him

No sign of her at all this evening so not much more I can do today but ill be on it quickly since im really feeling like a mug now with so many posts telling me to get her to pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you know him personally then that should be an avenue
    She's probably out on the piss hoping you're in bed by the time she gets home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Ask her why she's got money for fake moustaches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Why did you pay all of the bills yourself.
    Why didn't you wait until they had paid their share to pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Any updates

keavebm wrote: »
    Any updates

Time for more of a laugh at me :pac:

Mutual friend tells me she was at hers a couple evenings ago "humble bragging" about not being able to afford all her bills "but still able to go on the piss with the gurls"

Life lesson for me at this stage, but she's gone home for the weekend and left her Apple TV in the sitting room so depending on my mood between now and Sunday evening it might find it's way into my room if I'm up for the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Time for more of a laugh at me :pac:

Mutual friend tells me she was at hers a couple evenings ago "humble bragging" about not being able to afford all her bills "but still able to go on the piss with the gurls"

Life lesson for me at this stage, but she's gone home for the weekend and left her Apple TV in the sitting room so depending on my mood between now and Sunday evening it might find it's way into my room if I'm up for the fight

lash it on ebay for 150euro then send her a link to the page asking her if she wants to bid on it.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I can well imagine her walking away at the end of the college year leaving the two of you stuck for the bills, unfortunately.

I'd suggest a text or call reminding her that you need your money as soon as she returns after the weekend, so she had better 'get to the credit union', and also that there is an esb bill due and she needs to have her share of that ready too.
    That's a lot of money to leave another student stuck for, IMO. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, it going missing into your room ain't as bad as it going missing, permanently, tbh.

Little update on this. She's since been evicted after her and a mate destroyed another housemates possessions and clothes by throwing them out the bedroom window onto the oil tank breaking it in the process, the 2 bedside lockers doing most of the damage to that. Gonna be a cold storm here.

Caused ~€3k worth of damage by doing that, and also owes 3 months rent which the landlord never said anything about but thought she was paying it since last year he rang me if anyone was a couple days late. My €150 is well down the list of debtors at this stage so I doubt I'm ever gonna see it.

Life lesson for me and anyone reading this, don't let any cnut take advantage of you unless you're happy being out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

<snip>

Wish I'd seen what was said before it was snipped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Little update on this. She's since been evicted after her and a mate destroyed another housemates possessions and clothes by throwing them out the bedroom window onto the oil tank breaking it in the process, the 2 bedside lockers doing most of the damage to that. Gonna be a cold storm here.

Caused ~€3k worth of damage by doing that, and also owes 3 months rent which the landlord never said anything about but thought she was paying it since last year he rang me if anyone was a couple days late. My €150 is well down the list of debtors at this stage so I doubt I'm ever gonna see it.

Life lesson for me and anyone reading this, don't let any cnut take advantage of you unless you're happy being out of pocket
    <snip>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note:

Folks, please remember this isn't a soap opera. Let's not add details that may or may not be correct, or that the OP may not wish to share

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note:

Folks, please remember this isn't a soap opera. Let's not add details that may or may not be correct, or that the OP may not wish to share

Well this story might actually be considered unrealistic if it was in a soap I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Little update on this. She's since been evicted after her and a mate destroyed another housemates possessions and clothes by throwing them out the bedroom window onto the oil tank breaking it in the process, the 2 bedside lockers doing most of the damage to that.
    Direct your housemate to FLAC, tbh.
    Life lesson for me
    Be happy that you're only €150 down.
    Gonna be a cold storm here.
    Get something like this for the window, as seen below;

Have used something similar on my window over here in Toronto, and it helped keep the heat in when it was about -20 degrees celsius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Tough life lesson but for future reference little miss snowflake like herself DID have the money just chose not to pay it to you. You were NEVER going to be putting her under pressure by demanding it back asap. Unfortunately she now gets to walk away without paying what is owed.
    If by any chance her stuff hasn't been collected yet it's possible her parents will be with her to collect her stuff. Can you stick a copy of all bills outstanding with her share owed to her bedroom door and try to be there to get it from them before they depart? Hopefully they may be embarrassed by her antics and pay up if they are ordinary decent folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surely this is criminal damage and she can be prosecuted for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Karma will catch up with people like that!

I feel awful if I owe someone a fiver or a tenner! I couldn't leave someone in the lurch for large amounts like she's done.... Unfortunately, I think most people in a house-share situation have come across someone like this at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

OP - you can submit a complaint to her college's student body governor (don't know the exact title of that office) and they can interview her in relation to this; bringing the colleges name into disrepute is the phrase I think.

Contact the college accomodation office and ask them who to forward the complaint to. It's some college body that will be dealing with the awarding of her degree

EDIT: Maybe it is the academic council or ethics committee I am thinking of

Advertisement