Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Oil Boiler trying to light but not staying lit

Options
  • 13-02-2018 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I know I shouldnt be a nosy curious fecker but a neighbour across from our house in a housing estate for the last hour or so has been trying to light and keeps cycling on and off and its getting on my tits and my bedroom backs onto her and her boiler and wonder if I am gonna get any sleep tonight, its like water torture. looks like she is out otherwise I would call round and ask her to switch it off at the timeclock or the fusebox or spur or whatever.

What could we be talking here - dirty photo-sensor or air in the system or something else - very curiously it doesnt seem to be going to lockout even though its not running properly.

Heres sequence: 1: fan starts up 2: Sonic boom as it lights (as I call it) 3: seems to light for around 18seconds then cut out - and it does this in a sequence , time and time again. over and over.

I can only hope she has it on timer to go off a 11pm or something otherwiseits this all night!! - not going to lock out

So tempted to go over , whip off the front of the outdoor module and unplug the wire to the burner or turn off the thermostat inside the module housing ... but then again , knowing me someone will call the gards on me and I will spend a night in the cells!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

What boiler is it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

anthonyos wrote: »
    What boiler is it

from a distance it looks like a condenser one like ours , a grant euroflame - although her one starts with a boom and our one starts with a puff (if that makes sense haha)

as I say - dont want to go snooping in her back garden in the dark it will look too suspicious like Im casing the joint :)

unusual not going to lockout - maybe its because its lit for about 18seconds before it goes off.

could even be faulty boiler stat as well I suppose - but dont they always fail in a completely stuck on or stuck off scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

from a distance it looks like a condenser one like ours , a grant euroflame - although her one starts with a boom and our one starts with a puff (if that makes sense haha)

as I say - dont want to go snooping in her back garden in the dark it will look too suspicious like Im casing the joint :)

Wear pajamas and claim sleep walking.

If you get in trouble, we'll vouch for your sanity. :confused:

Tom44 wrote: »
    Wear pajamas and claim sleep walking.

If you get in trouble, we'll vouch for your sanity. :confused:

:D

the mrs thinks its gonna explode haha - I dont, but it cannot be doing it much good this stopping and starting malarkey!

Keeps sounding like thunder every time it starts to ignite. - its gone 11pm so i doubt she has it on timer - most probably be at this faffing about all night now. Will have to resign myself to the fact its gonna go on all night :mad:

So tempting - just open front door and its most probably got an electric cable leading from stat to burner and just separate, bobs yer uncle .... and we all get sleep tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Andy.

Go to sleep.

Your wife

Ursummupet wrote: »
    Andy.

Go to sleep.

Your wife

there will be no sleep ... i keep waiting for the next boom - its like chinese water torture :eek: or that waterboarding thing they use for information

If i aint woken up by bloody birds at 6am in the morning I am kept awak by some neighbours faulty boiler that they havent turned off before they went out or gone to bed! :mad:

I need Sleep!!

Stopped at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

Stopped at last!

it hasn't andy your asleep and don't realise it

could be photocell or combustion leak in cabinet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Nip over the fence and turn oil off at the tank, will lock out in a few mins.

• Advertisement

DGOBS wrote: »
    Nip over the fence and turn oil off at the tank, will lock out in a few mins.

oh yeah , why didnt I think of that !

its back at its faffing about out there again today booming like a bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I just replace the nozzle on mine when it starts doing that usually filters full of c88p when the tank runs low. Suspect they are complaint there radiators aren't getting warm as well.

I just replace the nozzle on mine when it starts doing that usually filters full of c88p when the tank runs low. Suspect they are complaint there radiators aren't getting warm as well.

yeah, when its started doing that yesterday and my mrs was concerned it might blow up I said "dont worry, it just sounds like its running out of oil in the tank, it will lock out soon" - but it never ... could be loads of crap in her filter. Thats the one by the isolation valve at bottom of tank isnt it with the unscrew bottle part at the bottom. _ I had to clean ours in one of the houses we rented once, full of crud it was, but it just caused the boiler not to light and then went to lockout.

theres a filter in the oil pump too isnt there , do they ever get clogged up much? its only 4 hex screws to undo it from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭poppers

mine was acting like that turns out the nozel was dirty cleaned it with a wire brush and now back working perfectly.

poppers wrote: »
    mine was acting like that turns out the nozel was dirty cleaned it with a wire brush and now back working perfectly.

haha your not supposed to use wire brushes - these nozzles are precision engineered devices :D - no wire brushes, no clearing with a needle or pin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

poppers wrote: »

:eek: :eek:
    Are you serious?
    You're not supposed to touch the face of the nozzle with your finger, let alone take a wirebrush to it. :)
    If its that sooted up there is a big problem problem with your boiler.
    How do you know its running perfectly, have you got pressure gauges, a smoke pump and a flue gas analyser?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

I had a neighbor like Andy's, but just very loud when it was running.
    Nurse doing odd hours.
    Luckily she left it on one day while at work.
    Her dad did the servicing :eek:

Unknown to her, she got a free service. :) . Well at least her boiler did.

Rest of neighborhood known. :pac::pac:

But I'm not Andy ..............

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celiam

I know I shouldnt be a nosy curious fecker but a neighbour across from our house in a housing estate for the last hour or so has been trying to light and keeps cycling on and off and its getting on my tits and my bedroom backs onto her and her boiler and wonder if I am gonna get any sleep tonight, its like water torture. looks like she is out otherwise I would call round and ask her to switch it off at the timeclock or the fusebox or spur or whatever.

What could we be talking here - dirty photo-sensor or air in the system or something else - very curiously it doesnt seem to be going to lockout even though its not running properly.

Heres sequence: 1: fan starts up 2: Sonic boom as it lights (as I call it) 3: seems to light for around 18seconds then cut out - and it does this in a sequence , time and time again. over and over.

I can only hope she has it on timer to go off a 11pm or something otherwiseits this all night!! - not going to lock out

So tempted to go over , whip off the front of the outdoor module and unplug the wire to the burner or turn off the thermostat inside the module housing ... but then again , knowing me someone will call the gards on me and I will spend a night in the cells!

At least you would get some sleep in a nice cosy cell

celiam wrote: »
    At least you would get some sleep in a nice cosy cell

or not - could be full of drunks and people shouting out their innocence from other cells ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NRG Awareness

Dirty Photo electric sensor. wipe the soot off it

• Advertisement
Advertisement