Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster after attempted DRAM Overclock to 3000mhz

Options
  • 14-02-2018 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭

Reposting this here as the Overclocking sub forum is pretty dead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    DRAM: Crucial Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz 2 x 8GB Hynix A-dye
    Mobo: ASUS X-370A

Since I built my PC I had to under clock my RAM speed to 2133mhz even though it was capable of 3000mhz.

This is to due to the sh1tty compatibility of DRAM for Ryzen motherboards.

Sometimes I was able to clock it to 2800mhz using auto settings in the BIOS but it only booted sometimes, other times it would post into the bios safe mode.

So quite frustrated, I tried overlooking it by changing timings and voltages based on this tool today:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-0-0-beta-overclocking-dram-am4.html.

The BIOS was updated to the latest version the day before.

These are the settings I dialed in in the BIOS:

441624.png

Afterward rebooting I got blue screens while trying to boot windows, and most of the time now the PC won’t even POST.

In between attempts I tried using only one stick of RAM and managed to get back into windows once and launch a game, but now even using the same ram stick the pc fails to post even with the CMOS pins shorted to clear settings.

One setting which was strange was the SOC voltage.
    You couldn’t just set it to 1.025, instead there was an offset option to add the voltage to the default, the default was something like 0.850.

So I subtracted 0.850 from 1.025 and used the remainder as the offset voltage to add, I presume I did that right.

TLDR, do you reckon the ram chips are now faulty after my tomfoolery or could it be the Motherboard also?

RAM prices are through the roof at the moment, I couldn’t have picked a worse time for it to happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

If anyone can offer advice in buying replacement compatible ram that can achieve full speed for this motherboard I would really appreciate it.

I wish I didn’t go Ryzen now as the ram and motherboard incompatibility is an absolute minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just to be sure - remove the battery, short the CMOS pins, then hold power button for 30 seconds. Make sure everything is fully drained. Then attempt a boot with one stick.

After that the thing I'd want to do is memtest that DDR4 in any other Intel board. DDR4 is DDR4 so it should work in pretty much anything bar ECC req boxes. 4hrs of memtest if its POSTs will verify it as ok or not. If it were to pass then you've to look at the mobo as culprit, if not a nice chunk of new RAM.

Not sure if SOC is System on Chip as per normal parlance but if so a significant overvolt might have hit the memory controller? Maybe? Totally guessing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks for the help Me E. So after taking out the battery today and shorting the CMOS CLR, it booted with one stick in. So I ran memtest on that stick for one pass and it passed. Memtested the other stick for one pass and it passed.
    Managed to boot it with both sticks in and now it's in sleep mode.

I don't know if the ram wasn't seated properly or the motherboard is just playing nice today or what.

I Think illl keep it in sleep mode for the next few weeks instead of shutting down just in case. :P It only draws 0.2 watts in sleep mode anyway!

Advertisement