Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 3 for first time?

• 14-02-2018 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am new here and seeking advice from the internet people :-)

I want to do the Dublin Marathon this year in under 3 hours.

About me:
    Never ran a marathon
    Have ran 5-6 half marathons as part of training
    Fastest half marathon time 1:38:05
    Fastest 10k 43:22
    Fastest 5k 20:50

My training:
    I used go a just run 5-8ks uncontrolled at fast pace always trying to better my personal bests.

I have started using a Garmin HR watch and started to follow the stage 2 workout plan this week.

All my records were achieved last year. I took 4 weeks off training in a December which has reset me a bit. I now hit threshold HR just running sub 5 min per km.

Nutrition wise I use myfitnesspal and am currently on a small weight cut. Am 74kg, 6 foot 1 inch.

Is it likely I could run a sub 3k in October if I stick to the Garmin training plan (5 day week)?

Any tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Have a look at this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191, there is tons of information and experiences about exactly that, running a sub-3 marathon.

Is it likely you will do it this year?

To be brutally honest, no. On the risk of sounding negative, it's highly unlikely. You're quite a bit away from the required standard and the first marathon is usually a tough learning experience, very few runners manage a sub-3 at their first attempt. Your half PB is 1:38, you'd have to get that to around 1:25 (give or take a bit) to have a good chance.

By all means give it a good go. You'll learn a ton from the training and the marathon and then will be much more likely to hit it at a following attempt.

I'd use a plan that has you run more than 5 times a week, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all,

I am new here and seeking advice from the internet people :-)

I want to do the Dublin Marathon this year in under 3 hours.

About me:
    Never ran a marathon
    Have ran 5-6 half marathons as part of training
    Fastest half marathon time 1:38:05
    Fastest 10k 43:22
    Fastest 5k 20:50

My training:
    I used go a just run 5-8ks uncontrolled at fast pace always trying to better my personal bests.

I have started using a Garmin HR watch and started to follow the stage 2 workout plan this week.

All my records were achieved last year. I took 4 weeks off training in a December which has reset me a bit. I now hit threshold HR just running sub 5 min per km.

Nutrition wise I use myfitnesspal and am currently on a small weight cut. Am 74kg, 6 foot 1 inch.

Is it likely I could run a sub 3k in October if I stick to the Garmin training plan (5 day week)?

Any tips?

Thanks!

To be honest sub 3:40 is more realistic, maybe if it all goes really well a sub 3:30, but i believe you need to run a sub 1:35 half to consider the sub 3:30

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Having run a grand total of 1 marathons, I am finally qualified to answer a query such as this.

But seriously, last October DCM was also my first, when I had started the training program my PB’s were 10K 39:09, HM: 1:26:15, 5k 18:32. Trained hard for the marathon bar missing occasional days due to injury or illness. came in at 3:16:20 and that included 2 stops, one for cramping hamstring and another for severe stitch/chest pain. This year I’m hoping for a sub 3:10 and that’s with a hell of a lot more training. A sub 3 on your first go is very ambitious, especially given your times. I’d never tell anyone what they can’t do, you might be genetically gifted, but I would be aiming for more realistic goal like a sub 3:20. One thing I took away from the experience was that you really don’t respect the distance until you’ve done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

This time frame is ambitious but can be doable with alot of luck and preparation. Majority of people won't get to this level in that sort of time frame

Few tips I would give;

1) Training starts now. Don't tip along till 18 weeks before and jump into a plan

2) Long runs need to start now. Approx 1hr 40 - 2hrs are relative easy pace for you (We are talking 90 sec + slower than MP for you) Build by a mile per month but keep tipping along with these on top of your sessions

3) Consistent 5-6 days a week. No point going ham for a week or two and disappearing for a week after that. Similarly no point hammering your easy days

4) Shorter reps at 10k pace and 20 min tempos (slightly slower than 10k pace) and progress from there. No point going for long hard tempo runs till your body conditions itself otherwise form will drop in later stages of the runs and you are P!ssing into the wind in terms of improvement. Get your body conditioned to holding good form and running race paces in a controlled manner.

5) 6 months of 10k work now will leave you in a position where your body can handle marathon specific training. This is known as "training to train" phase of training which is a missing ingredient in many training approaches these days and one of the biggest flaws with generic plans by in large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I had planned a sub 3 for my first marathon too. But I did too much too quick and got injured a few weeks out. From January I was running 60km around 5 days per week. By September I was running 100km per week and I had a 83.54 half behind me that month so it was looking good for a Dublin sub 3. My advice is don't rush in build up the milage and get your shorter distance times down. I still plan to run my first marathon sub 3 but I've pushed that goal out a few years. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Why not aim to get your shorter distance times down for this year. Run the marathon but do it for fun and try to enjoy it without too much pressure on yourself. Aim for a 1.30 half (adjust faster or slower according to your training)

Sub 3 is a cruel beast if you are not ready. I've done an 81 min half and still haven't broken 3.07...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Yes, just to add to everyone else's words of caution, it's hard to extrapolate from half-marathon time for your first marathon.

My best half was about 1.36 before my marathon, and I did the marathon in 3.54 :eek::o - I hadn't done the excellent level of training Testosterscone recommends, but I had done the long runs / trained all summer etc. (I was aiming for 3.40 but failed spectacularly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

It's certainly do-able if unlikely.

Look at Steve Way. Ran his first marathon in 3:07 after just a few weeks training.

8 months good training should have you coming close to it.

If you're hitting your current times off the back of such poor training, suggests the times will tumble down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

This time frame is ambitious but can be doable with alot of luck and preparation. Majority of people won't get to this level in that sort of time frame

Few tips I would give;

1) Training starts now. Don't tip along till 18 weeks before and jump into a plan

2) Long runs need to start now. Approx 1hr 40 - 2hrs are relative easy pace for you (We are talking 90 sec + slower than MP for you) Build by a mile per month but keep tipping along with these on top of your sessions

3) Consistent 5-6 days a week. No point going ham for a week or two and disappearing for a week after that. Similarly no point hammering your easy days

4) Shorter reps at 10k pace and 20 min tempos (slightly slower than 10k pace) and progress from there. No point going for long hard tempo runs till your body conditions itself otherwise form will drop in later stages of the runs and you are P!ssing into the wind in terms of improvement. Get your body conditioned to holding good form and running race paces in a controlled manner.

5) 6 months of 10k work now will leave you in a position where your body can handle marathon specific training. This is known as "training to train" phase of training which is a missing ingredient in many training approaches these days and one of the biggest flaws with generic plans by in large

That's great advice,I had times close to the op and followed very similar tips to the ones posted above and ended up doing 2 53 in DCM so its very doable if you take it seriously.

Advertisement