Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of domestic appliance

Options
  • 14-02-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

So I bought a medium-sized appliance from an online retailer (a microwave to be exact). The deliverer didn't knock (or knocked very silently) and left a card stating that the appliance can be collected from an An-Post branch. That's fine - but how does one get rid of the old appliance? You can't exactly just dump an appliance in the an-post branch can you? The WEEE recycling centres are too out of the way for me to be convenient - does this mean that the appliance just goes in the black wheelie bin (if it will even fit?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik it's an offence to put it in the black wheelie bin.

Contact the online retailer to ask them what their policy is. They are still obliged to take it, but usually f you're not at home for them to collect it, the expense of getting it to their depot is your problem.

Shops like Powercity and DID often have a big bin near the front of the store that you can drop these things into. Last I know, Powercity don't require/check for proof that you bought something from them.

Edit: here you go https://www.powercity.ie/site/recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The deliverer was likely An Post and wouldn't be able to take it back anyway - you'd have had to contact the supplier to arrange collection either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Some of the online stores include a prepaid label for you to use - you put the old appliance intot the box of the new one, attach the label and arrange for it to be collected.

maybe wait until you get your package and check the paperwork?

as for the delivery person "not knocking" - if its in an post then it was your postman knocking - its not in their interest to put a box in their van, bring it to your door and then "knock quietly" or "not knock". You simply did not hear the knock - you could have been in the shower, the kettle could have been on and making noise, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

CeilingFly wrote: »
    as for the delivery person "not knocking" - if its in an post then it was your postman knocking - its not in their interest to put a box in their van, bring it to your door and then "knock quietly" or "not knock". You simply did not hear the knock - you could have been in the shower, the kettle could have been on and making noise, etc etc.

Had this happen numerous times myself, I've even been there and heard the flap of the letterbox and the card hit the floor, with no prior knock on the door. Had to chase the postie several doors down to get my parcel. Sometimes they are in a rush or can't be bothered, especially if there is the prospect of them having to take a bulky item away with them. Much quicker to quietly stick a card through the door and leave the customer with the hassle of picking the item up from the depot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

L1011 wrote: »
    The deliverer was likely An Post and wouldn't be able to take it back anyway - you'd have had to contact the supplier to arrange collection either way.

Agree - not sure if it's in An Post's remit to take back old appliances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Had this happen numerous times myself, I've even been there and heard the flap of the letterbox and the card hit the floor, with no prior knock on the door. Had to chase the postie several doors down to get my parcel. Sometimes they are in a rush or can't be bothered, especially if there is the prospect of them having to take a bulky item away with them. Much quicker to quietly stick a card through the door and leave the customer with the hassle of picking the item up from the depot later.

So a postman calls to your door with a parcel and does not knock.

That simply makes no sense whatsoever - why would he/she take parcel out of the van, bring it to your door and not knock and then have to write out a slip?

They don't take bulky items back there and then, so that could not be the reason.

There's so much noise within a house these days that its easy to miss the knock on a door (I miss knocks myself, but have 2 dogs that will hear it :) )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That simply makes no sense whatsoever - why would he/she take parcel out of the van, bring it to your door and not knock and then have to write out a slip?

They don't take bulky items back there and then, so that could not be the reason.

There's so much noise within a house these days that its easy to miss the knock on a door (I miss knocks myself, but have 2 dogs that will hear it :) )

Same happened to me last year. Every morning, 3 days in a row, note left in letterbox, time of "delivery" 8.30/8.35/8.25am. The last day I called in to collect and asked if the postman was actually calling as everyone was up and about, and we would hear the doorbell. She said she would investigate. Next day postman was ringing the doorbell at 8.30 to deliver a package. Rings every time since. He was fairly new at the time. The more experiences ones normally do the parcel run in the van before or after the main post. Leave the van at the top of the park, and walk around with the letters.
    There was a big thread on one of the other forums about this some time back, and a lot of people were having the same problem. Some of them caught the postie walking up the road, and they had no package with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

The parcel stays in the van. Postie hops out of the van, sticks a little card through your door and is on his way. Much easier than having to drag heavy parcels about, with no guarantee that the customer is at home.

I have no doubt that sometimes people may not hear a knock, but equally there are occasions when the delivery driver, whether post or courier, can't be bothered and just sticks the card through the door. As above I've had it happen to me and actually heard the letterbox snap closed and the card hit the floor, so would definitely have heard a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

as for the delivery person "not knocking" - if its in an post then it was your postman knocking - its not in their interest to put a box in their van, bring it to your door and then "knock quietly" or "not knock".

you'll actually find that some posties dont bring the heavier bulkier items with them...and do precisely this 'trick'.

Caught one out with this before and he admitted he didnt have the item in question with him....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - can we stick to the OP, rather than the knocking habits of postmen ;)

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

About the recycling, I know our local (Clonmel) recycling centre takes WEEE material for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cml387 wrote: »
    About the recycling, I know our local (Clonmel) recycling centre takes WEEE material for free.

All do, as they have to. The OP said there was none convenient to them

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I think the answer here is to put up with the inconvenience and take the old appliance to the recycling centre.

Advertisement