Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced entry to yard by delivery man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Wow I have to say I am quite surprised at the replies!
    I'm surprised that people don't seem to have a problem with someone taking it upon themselves to gain unauthorised access to your property. If it was an emergency fair enough, but to deliver a parcel?!

The gate wasn't left open. It wasn't windy, it's actually been blustery here since last night and the gate hasn't budged. The latch is stiff and has a padlock secured on it. It took me a while to figure out how he managed to get in. He forced the gate and the fence apart and by doing so the latch slid out (I hope I'm explaining it clearly).

That's what happens when you ask a question on a public forum.
    You get answers that might differ with your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Wow I have to say I am quite surprised at the replies!
    I'm surprised that people don't seem to have a problem with someone taking it upon themselves to gain unauthorised access to your property. If it was an emergency fair enough, but to deliver a parcel?!

The gate wasn't left open. It wasn't windy, it's actually been blustery here since last night and the gate hasn't budged. The latch is stiff and has a padlock secured on it. It took me a while to figure out how he managed to get in. He forced the gate and the fence apart and by doing so the latch slid out (I hope I'm explaining it clearly).

Can you say for sure that the faulty gate wasn't open when the delivery guy arrived?

It's hard to see what this guy done wrong, his job was to get your parcel to you safely and in a timely manner, job done. Sometimes it's just hard to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭dubrov

Why all this love for the delivery driver?

He was doing himself a favour by putting the package in the recycling bin. .

There is no way he should be entering anyone's back garden without permission. He should have rang the OP first

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Let me guess op , some recompense would solve all of the problems you are feeling right now... Would this the accurate.

It's the likes of yourself and the poster above that ruin it for the rest of us.

Chancers plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Are you sure he didn't just hop the wall/fence? We have a high gate and it can be securely locked but people could still get into the back garden by hopping the wall if they really wanted to.

• Advertisement

What might take force to you could be a simple push for the driver.

I know that if I saw that I could drop the parcel into an out of sight/exposed spot by easily opening a gate I would, and would (rightly) assume that I'm doing a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dubrov wrote: »
    Why all this love for the delivery driver?

He was doing himself a favour by putting the package in the recycling bin. .

There is no way he should be entering anyone's back garden without permission. He should have rang the OP first

You are assuming the Delivery driver had the OP's number, perhaps he did call, and the OP had their phone off.

Given the choice having the parcel left hidden in the back garden, or left on the front door step on a wet and windy day, i'd take the back even time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

In fairness, I get a lot of courier deliveries and DPD are the only one's that text.

DHL Express, Nightline, Fastway Couriers and An Post text me! As well as DPD

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

The driver needs to get a signature , end of story , he shouldn't have left your parcel anywhere expect with you , we pay enough for delivery, ring and complain , end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The driver needs to get a signature , end of story , he shouldn't have left your parcel anywhere expect with you , we pay enough for delivery, ring and complain , end of story

Fastway don't.they just leave it at the door.an post ask you what you want done with it if you're not home.so a signature isn't needed in every case.

What might take force to you could be a simple push for the driver.

I know that if I saw that I could drop the parcel into an out of sight/exposed spot by easily opening a gate I would, and would (rightly) assume that I'm doing a good job

A good job by delivering a parcel that should be signed for unsigned ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah, but perhaps the only ones that gave the OP his parcel on the day in questiuon.

Is that true of all companies, a lot of time, they just had me the parcel and go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

And the OP is the exact reason I refuse to do deliveries to domestic properties unless someone is present.

A good deed done and sh1t is your thanks.

Thank god it wasn’t your home I went to or you’d be chasing up your parcel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A good job by delivering a parcel that should be signed for unsigned ...

A lot now don’t need signatures. And no, people don’t pay enough for a delivery, hence the race to the bottom for courier deliveries. You pay crap money, you get that level of service.

And the OP is the exact reason I refuse to do deliveries to domestic properties unless someone is present.

Thank god it wasn’t your home I went to or you’d be chasing up your parcel.

Salt of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Would you still consider it a good deed if somebody was watching and decided to take the package for themselves?

Or what if the OP was away for a few days and had one of their neighbours put the bins out on bin day?

Personally I think it's the delivery driver being lazy rather than doing the OP a favour. Phone calls, texts, and emails are the norm these days so I find it difficult to understand why the delivery driver couldn't contact the OP for some instruction on what to do with the package.

So are you saying that this didn't help the courier in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Many a time, I've had parcels dropped in the porch. Some worth up to about €50. Was always amazed to find them there, as my front garden is only about 20 feet, so the porch and every thing in it is visible from the footpath.
    If ever something went missing, I'd challenge the obvious lack of my signature.

Think about it for a moment, the delivery guy is taking a chance on YOUR honesty. Not suggesting for a moment that its up for debate, but rather reminding you that the delivery guy trusted you enough to do this.

Give him a break, he's just doing a job and saving you some inconvenience - in most cases, if you can't be there for delivery, they tell you to go to the depot with ID.

He is gambling alright but for his own benefit.

• Advertisement

So are you saying that this didn't help the courier in any way?

Nope, why would it? They get returns every single day, this situation would have been no different.

Strictly speaking if there’s no answer at the property you don’t deliver the goods unless pre authorised such as instructions on the manifest or you ring the customer and they permit it.

I haven’t done it and won’t Incase there’s some issue down the line such as someone saying they didn’t get the goods, even with photographic evidence.

If the goods were in a Jiffy bag then you could shove it in the letter box, but that is a rare occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nighline text, at least for Debinhams deliveries

This is very strange, as the reason we have stopped using Debenhams is that Nightline constantly failed to deliver and never texted us. Maybe it varies by driver.

Nope, why would it? They get returns every single day, this situation would have been no different.

Strictly speaking if there’s no answer at the property you don’t deliver the goods unless pre authorised such as instructions on the manifest or you ring the customer and they permit it.

I haven’t done it and won’t Incase there’s some issue down the line such as someone saying they didn’t get the goods, even with photographic evidence.

If the goods were in a Jiffy bag then you could shove it in the letter box, but that is a rare occurrence.

I've never worked in deliveries but surely there is pressure on delivery companies to cut costs. Each undelivered parcel is costing them money. I can imagine that translates into pressure on delivery drivers to increase delivery completion rate.

If what you say is true, then the delivery guy is taking a big risk for no reason. I could understand this if it was a once off but I have experienced several different delivery guys doing similar.

For me it makes no sense unless there is a benefit or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I don't understand why more people dont use Parcel Motel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've never worked in deliveries but surely there is pressure on delivery companies to cut costs. Each undelivered parcel is costing them money. I can imagine that translates into pressure on delivery drivers to increase delivery completion rate.

If what you say is true, then the delivery guy is taking a big risk for no reason. I could understand this if it was a once off but I have experienced several different delivery guys doing similar.

We always get the impression that it suits the driver more not to deliver, as we had many who never attempted delivery - wit all kinds of false excuses like nobody home (when we were), .

Long story short it's all about the race to the bottom, who can do the most for less?

It's a tendering process usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I had a parcel put into my recycle bin and I wasn't in to read the note. Another person in the house put the bin out and it was collected. Parcel gone!

We always get the impression that it suits the driver more not to deliver, as we had many who never attempted delivery - wit all kinds of false excuses like nobody home (when we were), .

I always got the impression that delivery drivers apart from An post would do anything to make a delivery. Thought this was because delivery drivers got paid per delivery whereas the postman will get paid regardless of weather he delivers the package or not.

Donutz wrote: »
    I always got the impression that delivery drivers apart from An post would do anything to make a delivery. Thought this was because delivery drivers got paid per delivery whereas the postman will get paid regardless of weather he delivers the package or not.

Some of the self employed guys get paid per delivery, others including me got a daily rate, it didn't matter if i made 1 or 101 deliveries, my money was no different each week.

• Advertisement

Skedaddle wrote:
    I had a parcel put into my recycle bin and I wasn't in to read the note. Another person in the house put the bin out and it was collected. Parcel gone!

So these kind of mistakes actually do happen. I always assumed it but never came across an example of it.

Advertisement