Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced entry to yard by delivery man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭dubrov

Long story short it's all about the race to the bottom, who can do the most for less?

It's a tendering process usually.

That kind of lines up with what I had thought.

It is a sad state of affairs but ultimately the system leads to delivery people who will cut corners to make deliveries.

It is easy for the delivery companies to claim it is against policy and fire them if complaints come in.

Strangely if everyone complained every time this happened, it might actually lead to an improvement in the employment rights of delivery people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We always get the impression that it suits the driver more not to deliver, as we had many who never attempted delivery - wit all kinds of false excuses like nobody home (when we were), .

The driver barely gets paid for the delivery so they do their best to get rid of it the first time it goes in the van, especially if it's anyway off route. The person getting the parcel might pay €10 for the delivery and at least 3 companies are taking a profit from that before it gets into the van.

The race to the bottom has resulted in driving jobs paying less than minimum wage so that's why delivery has gone ****e. A person packing shelves in a shop earns more for less responsibility than a driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

dubrov wrote: »
    That kind of lines up with what I had thought.

It is a sad state of affairs but ultimately the system leads to delivery people who will cut corners to make deliveries.

It is easy for the delivery companies to claim it is against policy and fire them if complaints come in.

Strangely if everyone complained every time this happened, it might actually lead to an improvement in the employment rights of delivery people.

Yeah the industry is gone to pot.

What i'm even still doing in it i'll never fully understand.

The last thing any company should be doing is firing people, but it happens and it happened to me in 2016.

Complaints aren't as common as people will have you believe i should state though.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The driver barely gets paid for the delivery so they do their best to get rid of it the first time it goes in the van, especially if it's anyway off route. The person getting the parcel might pay €10 for the delivery and at least 3 companies are taking a profit from that before it gets into the van.

The race to the bottom has resulted in driving jobs paying less than minimum wage so that's why delivery has gone ****e. A person packing shelves in a shop earns more for less responsibility than a driver.

The Nightline and Fastway lads really get shafted in this area.

The van drivers have it far worse than us in Trucks.

I was in one job briefly as cover in 2016, €9.50 an hour i got driving a truck, only for it was a favour i would have refused.

Lidl pay their staff €11.50 an hour with zero risk compared to those on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭dubrov

Sounds like the real story here is that delivery companies are c&nts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is very strange, as the reason we have stopped using Debenhams is that Nightline constantly failed to deliver and never texted us. Maybe it varies by driver.

My main problem with Debenhams is that (depending on which fulillment centre is used), they omit the county to from our address, I had gotten to know a nightline driver in the midlands now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I fully appreciate that and agree with it. But, that's not my problem, the suppliers need to get it sorted.

I fully appreciate that and agree with it. But, that's not my problem, the suppliers need to get it sorted.

The sad thing is they won’t.

If they haven’t done it by now they never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I don't understand why more people dont use Parcel Motel...

Or why people order parcels to their house when they know they'll be at work all day (not saying that this is the case here but it is pretty common).

Or why people order parcels to their house when they know they'll be at work all day (not saying that this is the case here but it is pretty common).

Often had people book delivery slots, example 11-1, you get there, no answer, you ring them and

“Sorry I’m at work until 7, can you call back after that”

• Advertisement

How much do you pay for the delivery? Because if its less than €20 it is your problem, as people not wanting to pay for delivery is what has made delivery drivers serfs for the companies.

dubrov wrote: »
    Sounds like the real story here is that delivery companies are c&nts.

The whole system is. The companies make huge profits and the customer gets a great deal, but no one is willing to pay for the delivery to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How much do you pay for the delivery? Because if its less than €20 it is your problem, as people not wanting to pay for delivery is what has made delivery drivers serfs for the companies.

I'll pay what the supplier charges me if I want the goods. I can't yet see an option on any site where I can offer an amount for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sunny Dayz wrote:
    In short this delivery guy forced his way into our back yard and it has left me feeling uneasy. Granted my parcel was safe where he left it but I'd rather he had left it with a neighbour or returned it to the depot rather than forcing my pladlocked gate open. Is it worth complaining to the delivery company or am I getting a bit worked over nothing?

He was trespassing. You should have reported the matter to the Gardai. I have never heard of or experienced a similar instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

You won’t believe what happens next when delivery guy delivers his parcel

Fake outrage is fake outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We've a great DPD delivery guy with a similar, hard working, helpful attitude to the OP's delivery guy, keen to get the parcel delivered dry, safe and hidden. I texted him my appreciation along with a caveat "We're happy to have Barry place all our parcels in ...... hidden and dry spot and won't hold him personally responsible for stolen parcels" The more expensive bigger items are delivered to work.

I'm with most of the posters sentiments on this thread and am confused that the OP is offended by the delivery guys efforts to ensure a safe, dry and secure delivery. But I'm seeing a lot of this lately, a yearning for offense, a fashionable desire to find fault with anything, no matter how well meaning the effort and job.

"Forced entry"

I'll pay what the supplier charges me if I want the goods. I can't yet see an option on any site where I can offer an amount for delivery.

That's the problem. The supplier does not charge enough for the delivery because people won't shop with them. But the supplier and the at least 2 delivery companies will make a nice profit from the sale, the people doing the work don't.

Look at the stories coming out about Sports Direct and Amazon dispatch depots about how the staff are treated and then think about the the same attitude to the delivery driver, except that they have to supply a new van and pay for motor tax/courier insurance /diesel /maintenance from the €2 or €3 a package they get before they can take a wage never mind a holiday or sick day.

A few of my friends where motorbike couriers during the boom and made good money but were out in all weather all year. The last to leave was after the crash and wages were being constantly cut. He went to the boss and asked for more money as he barely making enough to barely keep on the road. His boss said sign on and keep working, he signed on and hasn't set on a bike since and was actually better off. The same companies are still delivering your packages with the same attitude to the delivery person!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

OP. Are you a yank?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ignore deez nay sayers op, hurry and get the fbi on the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

chicorytip wrote: »
    He was trespassing. You should have reported the matter to the Gardai. I have never heard of or experienced a similar instance.

LOL, excellent effort chicorytip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try and address as much as I can.

I'm nearly sure the gate wasn't open. It's the type of gate that if the latch wasn't drawn it would swing open. And I'd notice it wide open. Also my mother checked on our house at weekend while we were away and she said the gate was definitely locked then. The weather was fairly calm on Sunday and Monday.

I still don't really understand why he went to all that effort. I actually spoke to the guy later in the week, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know what else to do with the parcel. I've never seen him before, maybe he's new. The phone number wasn't on the front of the package which would have saved some hassle - I find that only some address stickers show the phone number. The parcel was supposed to be signed for. But many of my deliveries need to be signed for and they often aren't.

I've gotten a number of parcels delivered over the years. I've gotten to know many of the local postmen and couriers and they couldn't be nicer or more helpful fellas. Many have gone above and beyond: rang me, have dropped it to my work or my husbands work if it's along their delivery route, some have left with neighbours, some have dropped back to the depot or post office. Some have left in hidden places like behind a flowerpot, under a shrub, down along the side of the house (outside). The only negative I've had in a delivery til now was when someone flung a delivery over the fence a few years ago. I just got such a shock the other day to find that someone had made their way right into our backyard. It's not something I've ever heard of or experienced before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I just got such a shock the other day to find that someone had made their way right into our backyard. It's not something I've ever heard of or experienced before.

You're trying to make a big deal about supposed "unauthorised access" and he "forced his way in". He did no such thing. Your gate wasn't properly secured, and he had authority to deliver a parcel.
    As for the phone number not being on the label.. if you provided your phone number to a retailer and a delivery company used it for the purpose of contacting you to deliver the parcel, I'm sure you'd have a good ould moan about data protection and feeling your privacy was violated..

Fix your gate and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

chicorytip wrote: »

The Gardaí would tell you (in very polite official language) to go and f**k yourself, and they would be right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Surprised at so many attacking the OP here. If the driver had broken the gate, what would they say? If they had left out an expensive pet? If a dog had attacked them?
    If it is unlocked with no warning signs, fair enough, driver went beyond the call of duty. It does sound like the driver had to do a bit to get the gate to open, which to me is going too far. If I was the driver's boss, I'd have a word if there was a complaint, not give out a bollicking. I didn't get the impression from the OP that they are looking for compensation, just looking for some advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I used to have a small van courier business in Cork years ago. Back in those days, all business to business deliveries, so no hassle. Small deliveries, a couple of boxes, envelopes etc. Minimum delivery Cork city £5. Taxi drivers were sitting around doing little enough during the day, started offering package delivery for £2.50. No goods in transit insurance. If they lost it, tough sh*t. I had it, and was paying £300 a year for the privilege. If I lost or damaged a consignment, you were covered. Then taxis wouldn't turn up to pick up parcels, or arrived late. Or delivered late. Didn't want to let down the regular taxi customers. Businesses came back to me fairly quickly. Everything had to be signed for, so deliveries to the home would have been a nightmare.

I was then made an offer by a bigger courier - We take you over. We'll give you more work. We'll take 30% cut off everything we give you, including the business you had. Unreal. Then a van started going around, franchise opportunity £16,000 to buy in. They take a cut of every job, may have been 25%?. This is before the person does one delivery. Has to buy/lease a van, get insurance, put diesel in it, service it, put tyres on it. Then try and make a wage. Business to homes has massively increased the amount of business, but dropped the rates through the floor - A race to the bottom.

Nowadays, some of the rates being paid to van owners are scandalous. €2 per delivery. Not per box, per delivery. You deliver 1 envelope, you get €2. You deliver 20 boxes of copier paper, you get €2. Do you see why drivers leave big deliveries behind, or ones that are miles out of the way? Can't cover the cost in diesel, never mind anything else. I've had drivers at my door at 9pm, working since 6.30am. That's dangerous.
    They are trying to do 100+ deliveries a day to try and make some money.

Who's fault is it? Everyone has to share the responsibility. Amazon, Debenhams, Littlewoods, Sports Direct pushing delivery rates through the floor. Why? Because their customers (us) want cheap deliveries. Hell, i do too, but I'm not going to go whining when the service is appalling. If Amazon free shipping went, and it became €15 minimum delivery people would think twice. Sports Direct seem to be trying to put the onus for shipping on their customers now, but implying that you are paying the delivery company directly, absolving them from claims of loss or damage.

For a delivery from the UK to Ireland? Standard movements would be something like this:
    Vehicle sent to collect
    Loaded on to collection vehicle.
    Back to Freight Forwarder/courier/haulier warehouse for sorting, and loading on to export vehicle.
    Driver brings 40ft artic to Ireland on Ferry.
    Offload at arrival warehouse, maybe send on another truck to local depot.
    Out on delivery vehicle.
    For €6.75.
    I don't think this can continue, we'll eventually run out of drivers. I used to think the owners of the Fastway, Nightline, DPD were making the money, but if you look at the rates it is hard to see how. It looks like everyone is being hammered and service is becoming non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't think this can continue, we'll eventually run out of drivers. I used to think the owners of the Fastway, Nightline, DPD were making the money, but if you look at the rates it is hard to see how. It looks like everyone is being hammered and service is becoming non-existent.

It's silly to say we'll run out of drivers. If there was a shortage of drivers, the remaining drivers could demand higher profits, and as a result more people would become drivers.

You said it yourself, at one stage taxi drivers found it profitable to deliver goods. Now I'm guessing they leave it to the delivery drivers.

It's not great to be a supplier of such a service in a market with an oversupply. To make money when profits are razor thin, you either need to work excessive hours, break the law (go without proper insurance, speeding, stealing from customers), cut corners (leave on doorstep without a signature), or well.. not actually make any money (where wear and tear on your van exceeds your delivery costs).

So maybe the op needs to bear that in mind. The delivery driver cut a corner because if he didn't, he'd be losing money on the delivery.

Couriers generally throw our packages in the drive, I've seen the driver fling it out of the van window and hit our front step. At least the courier here actually made a little effort.

Had something similar recently with an post, we have one of the post boxes and a couple months back came home to find an empty box on top of it. Had to pry it open to discover that the postman had opened the package and then removed the contents forcing them into the delivery box. I reported him as much as I liked that he ensured that I got my delivery the fact that he felt entitled to open it and remove contents was not alright. An Post made it out like he was doing us a favour but I thought it was quite the violation, there could have been anything in the package and I'm sure postmen have got fired for similar.

Tenigate wrote: »
    It's silly to say we'll run out of drivers..

Not silly at all. Drivers are in demand for the first time since the crash, because there is a shortage.Those that will drive will do it for someone else to get a wage, but won’t go out on their own. This doesn’t suit the courier company model the way it is at the moment. Brexit may slow down the home delivery parcels which would relieve pressure in the business.

• Advertisement

Tenigate wrote: »
    It's silly to say we'll run out of drivers. If there was a shortage of drivers, the remaining drivers could demand higher profits, and as a result more people would become drivers.

You said it yourself, at one stage taxi drivers found it profitable to deliver goods. Now I'm guessing they leave it to the delivery drivers.

It's not great to be a supplier of such a service in a market with an oversupply. To make money when profits are razor thin, you either need to work excessive hours, break the law (go without proper insurance, speeding, stealing from customers), cut corners (leave on doorstep without a signature), or well.. not actually make any money (where wear and tear on your van exceeds your delivery costs).

So maybe the op needs to bear that in mind. The delivery driver cut a corner because if he didn't, he'd be losing money on the delivery.

Companies increasing the rate of pay is never going to happen unless they drastically increase the cost of delivery and we won't pay increased delivery charges. The HGV companies are now looking to hire from outside the EU as they have run out of Europeans to abuse. Read the comments to see how drivers are being treated for our cheap consumption.

http://www.thejournal.ie/truck-drivers-shortage-ireland-3-3854511-Feb2018/

They won't be able to import van drivers to treat like st1t so soon we'll be going to the depot to pick up our own packages, but since their is also a shortage of HGV drivers then our package won't even get out of the vendors warehouse.

HGV drivers and couriers are treated worse than nearly any other job and people then wonder why they get a crap service.

Advertisement