Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop HDD to SDD worth it?

Options
  • 14-02-2018 2:50pm

I've got one of these:
    http://www.toshiba.ie/discontinued-products/qosmio-x70-b-10t/?categoryNameProductPage=laptops

It's a few years old but has a i7-4720HQ and 16Gb of RAM. I would expect it to be sprightly, but the hard disk seems to be a big bottleneck. HD Tune Pro shows an average transfer rate of 80Mb/s and no health issues. After boot, the disk monitor shows 100% for ~5 mins, and 50-70% for a few minutes more. At 100% sometimes it's only moving 3-4mb/s according to the task manager, but the system is definitely sluggish while this is happening - keypresses can be buffered for several seconds before registering.

I'm wondering if swapping out the HDD for an SDD along with a clean install of windows would be likely to give a significant boost?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P73B1E4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1518615824&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd
    is on sale for 117 at the moment. I love the machine otherwise - big screen, and am running 3 screens with it (hdmi and vga outs). So question is whether to put the €117 towards a new desktop system with a Ryzen 5 2400G or eke out some more time from what I have with the new SSD, and then put the SSD in a new system later.

I'm doing more video editing these days, and I think the graphics card is a bigger factor in rendering than mass storage throughput?

Any insights welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

100% upgrade. With modern platforms you're crazy not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭SVI40

Upgraded my laptop to an SSD about a year ago, best thing ever. I couldn't go back to a non SSD HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, it would give you a massive boost. The machine is decent enough otherwise for most tasks including editing.

As for the upgrade, up to you. If you've the money to spare, sure. But I think to get a significant upgrade in terms of raw power and make it all worthwhile, you'd really ideally be looking at Coffee Lake i5 (six core; high budget option) or Ryzen 1600 (6 core; lower budget option).

Appreciate the advice, all. SSD it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Appreciate the advice, all. SSD it is!

It will literally change your life. Such a massive upgrade in terms of snappiness and responsiveness. Should you build a pc in the end for your other uses, I guarantee you will want to keep the laptop around for a lot longer than if you kept the HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yes.

Didn't read the thread. Don't need to. Absolutely yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yes, definitely worth it, best bang-for-buck ever.
    Also doing a clean install is advisable, as Windows will set itself up with proper TRIM settings for SSD etc.

Another benefit is that you can keep around the old HDD as a backup....
    or put it in an HDD enclosure like this one;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tool-free-Inateck-External-Enclosure-FE2004-Black/dp/B00IJNDBM4/

Advertisement