Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Buggies

• 14-02-2018 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

So I am expecting number 2 in July and have an 11 month old. I like to walk a lot and am looking into getting a double buggy but I'd love to hear what brands people like and don't like. Tips on what to look out for etc.
    At the minute the out n about seems to be highly recommended - I just need to be sure it will fit through my front door before I buy anything.
    Any tips / recommendations greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I had the Baby jogger city mini double, thought it was brilliant, bought it 2nd hand and it really held it's value well, sold it on 5 years after I bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

HelgaWard wrote: »
    I had the Baby jogger city mini double, thought it was brilliant, bought it 2nd hand and it really held it's value well, sold it on 5 years after I bought it!

Oh that looks similar to the out n about. Did you find it ok for getting around shops etc?
    Yes I reckon adverts will be my first search. They can be expensive to buy new. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Lodger81

I have the Phil & Ted's Dot. It's not a side by side double so fits fine through doorways. It's very durable as well so ideal for somebody who likes to walk a lot. Would need to buy the cocoon cary cot as an extra for the newborn to use for the first few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Loved, loved, loved our Bugaboo donkey. Really flexible and great for babies and toddlers. Loved that it could convert and had a proper pram part for the first six months. Then used it as a single with the ride board. One of our best baby buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I'm due no. 2 in may. No.1 will be nearly 2.
    I got the mothercare genie double. It's a great bit if kit. The main seat can be converted to a bassinet to start (without the need for add-ons, it's just reconfigured). The toddler seat is an add-on, and can be taken off, and the buggy clicked into a shorter arrangement to fit just the one seat (single buggy) when the toddler no longer needs a buggy, or when he guess into the (add-on) buggy board at the back. It's not a side-by-side, if that's what you are looking for, but both seats can face in either direction (can be facing each other, facing me, facing forward etc), so it's not 1 kid tucked in under the other (which is what I wanted to avoid). It's also way cheaper than other double buggies

I have the single of the out and about atm, and it drives me crazy! The storage is rubbish, and the pully to put the seat flat/upright is always getting curled up and stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh that looks similar to the out n about. Did you find it ok for getting around shops etc?
    Yes I reckon adverts will be my first search. They can be expensive to buy new. :(

Never had a seconds trouble with it, it fit in everywhere, even my own front and internal doors. Even the granny's loved it, (neither liked the 3 wheeler single buggy I had). A girl I worked with had twins and she recommended it to me, and I just took her recommendation, without a whole lot of research and it served me very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

lazygal wrote: »
    Loved, loved, loved our Bugaboo donkey. Really flexible and great for babies and toddlers. Loved that it could convert and had a proper pram part for the first six months. Then used it as a single with the ride board. One of our best baby buys.

We loved ours too. We had three under three and on a few occasions we used it as a double with the buggy board.

lazygal wrote: »
    A few people have recommended this. I've looked it up but they're very expensive. I might keep an eye for a second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a double nipper, it’s a great buggy for walking. It’s super light to push- there’s 18 months between my two (26 months and nearly 8 months now). My 6 year old has been known to jump into it too (messing/being lazy!!) and it’s no bother to push with him either.
    The basket on it is an extra, and it’s crap- I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to get stuff into it without having to take it off. Think I’ve used it once.
    It’s also a bit of a pity that you can’t use two single rain covers- my two year old won’t leave on the rain cover over himself (I can’t blame him)- but I wouldn’t be inclined to leave the baby out in the rain!
    It fits through all standard doors- I’ve only come across one door that I couldn’t get through in public so far!
    They also seem to really hold their value for selling on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Double Nipper here as well - very happy with it. We have a 22 month gap (22.5 months and 2 weeks) and even with the serious weight imbalance it's very easy to manoeuvre and no real issues taking it on a London bus when we go through the middle doors. Will be running with it when small lad is big enough too.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    I have a double nipper, it’s a great buggy for walking. It’s super light to push- there’s 18 months between my two (26 months and nearly 8 months now). My 6 year old has been known to jump into it too (messing/being lazy!!) and it’s no bother to push with him either.
    The basket on it is an extra, and it’s crap- I can’t figure out how I’m supposed to get stuff into it without having to take it off. Think I’ve used it once.
    It’s also a bit of a pity that you can’t use two single rain covers- my two year old won’t leave on the rain cover over himself (I can’t blame him)- but I wouldn’t be inclined to leave the baby out in the rain!
    It fits through all standard doors- I’ve only come across one door that I couldn’t get through in public so far!
    They also seem to really hold their value for selling on.

Thanks so much! And did you need to get the carrycot as an add on when baby was little or did you bother with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nipper and Uppbaby vista here.Nipper came second hand from donedeal.21 mth age gap.Nipper is great for walking but has very bad storage and is a nuisance if you are in the habit of bringing a changing bag everywhere with you-nowhere to hang it.Check that it fits in the boot of your car!It will fit through most doorways to be fair.
    Vista is our primary one.Love it but it is quite heavy to steer with the two kids in it.Great storage, good for walking on any road surface(non puncture wheels) and will fit in the boot of your car.2015 model has quite wide back wheels though so you would want to check your front door width too.
    Overall I prefer the Vista for our usage but I can definitely see the out and about is very good too.

Thanks Shesty. Yeah the storage thing has come up a few times. I'll have to get a changing bag for my back. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I didn’t get a carrycot, it looked very small, and I have giant babies, so I knew it would be a waste. I got a cushion/head hugger thingy for him though.
    There’s loads of pockets on the nipper, there’s plenty places to stick a few nappies and a packet of wipes. It’s just a problem for longer days out, etc!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I didn’t get a carrycot, it looked very small, and I have giant babies, so I knew it would be a waste. I got a cushion/head hugger thingy for him though.
    There’s loads of pockets on the nipper, there’s plenty places to stick a few nappies and a packet of wipes. It’s just a problem for longer days out, etc!

Fantastic! Thanks so much for that.

Advertisement