Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcock 10 Mile 19th August 2018

Options
  • 14-02-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Just to let you know there is a new race on the calendar this summer. St Coca's in Kilcock Co. Kildare are hosting the inaugural Kilcok 10 from 10 road race on 19th August. 
    There is a nice flat route planned out (only 35m climb over the full course) with the last 2 miles along the canal before finishing on the harbour in Kilcock village. Medal for all finishers and tech t-shirts for the 1st 400 entries. Anyone familiar with St. Coca's 5k will be know that there will be a decent spread afterwards in the GAA hall. entry is 25 euro and, if not sold out, 30 euro on the day.
    Info here:
    https://www.facebook.com/kilcock10/
    Entries:
    https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/Kilcock10MileRoadRace
    I'm part of the race organisation (somehow got landed with social media responsibilities :'() so if you have any questions, feedback  or even advise post it up here!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Ok we have finally got approval for our route from Waterways Ireland so here it is, net downhill, apologies for the km markers - map was done by one of them triathlete types :). Will be marked in miles on the day
    We've also setup a group entry scheme with a 15% discount for groups of 10+ and 21% discount of groups of 20+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Looks like a great route. Now I'll have to see if I can entice a few of the '17 graduates and '18 novices to sign up. :) I might even be able to get it up to a discountable group :D

Just an update on this, we have the route officially measured so I went out on Saturday morning to run it so I could capture it on garmin - see link below.
    We don't run this route often as some sections are bendy so not ideal in traffic, the course is indeed flat with just 1 or 2 slight incline (same as the incline in the Bob Heffernan 5 k to give it some reference - ie not an incline!), 1 noticable climb over a hump back bridge which is only 30m in length just before the 8 mile mark. Also found the road to be pretty fast in sections, some of this may be down to knowing I was recording the for public consumption so upped the pace a bit but I normally do my easy runs around 8:30-9:00 min/mile and this run felt easy pace at 08:09.
    Any questions let me know
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2733158828

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just an update on this, we have the route officially measured so I went out on Saturday morning to run it so I could capture it on garmin - see link below.
    We don't run this route often as some sections are bendy so not ideal in traffic, the course is indeed flat with just 1 or 2 slight incline (same as the incline in the Bob Heffernan 5 k to give it some reference - ie not an incline!), 1 noticable climb over a hump back bridge which is only 30m in length just before the 8 mile mark. Also found the road to be pretty fast in sections, some of this may be down to knowing I was recording the for public consumption so upped the pace a bit but I normally do my easy runs around 8:30-9:00 min/mile and this run felt easy pace at 08:09.
    Any questions let me know
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2733158828

Thanks a million for this.

Can't wait to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Very helpful. Thanks for posting. My wife is from the outskirts of Kilcock in Ballymagillan there and is looking forward to doing her 'home' race! I'm tagging along for the extra mileage. Mind you, she is after spending the last fifteen minutes studying the map to see where exactly the route is taking us!

• Advertisement

Just to let you know there is a 10% discount for entry to this which is available until Monday - use June10 as the discount code.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just signed up a group from work for this. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Anyone else using this for Berlin? Looking forward to next weekend, looks like a great race

Where is the number pick up point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

What will parking be like on Sunday morning

• Advertisement

Where is the number pick up point?
    We'll be sending out an info pack shortly but number pickup will be:
    Saturday 6-8pm Supervalu Kilcock
    Sunday 8-9:45am Scoil Ui Riada - this is located just across from out track where the car park will be situated.

What will parking be like on Sunday morning
    We will have parking in the school, health center and on the track itself so parking should not be an issue. 
    One thing to note is when coming into Kilcock you will be passing the start line so this road will be closed off from just before 10am so ensure you are there in plenty of time, if you have to divert back across the m/way bridge and come in from the other side chances are you will be late.

We'll be sending out an info pack shortly but number pickup will be:
    Saturday 6-8pm Supervalu Kilcock
    Sunday 8-9:45am Scoil Ui Riada - this is located just across from out track where the car park will be situated.

Thanks for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

You forgot to include the discount code ;)

This is my first proper 10 miler in a long time, to the point that I have no idea what my 10 mile pace should be, or what time I should be going for.

Aiming for a sub 2.58 marathon, so any advice? Usually sneak in a half marathon, which is a race where I know what I should be doing, but a 10 miler is now alien to me!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

We will have parking in the school, health center and on the track itself so parking should not be an issue. 
    One thing to note is when coming into Kilcock you will be passing the start line so this road will be closed off from just before 10am so ensure you are there in plenty of time, if you have to divert back across the m/way bridge and come in from the other side chances are you will be late.

One more parking related question. Which of them is best to make a quick get away after the race towards Maynooth. Will be trying to avoid the galway fans on the motorway. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

One more parking related question. Which of them is best to make a quick get away after the race towards Maynooth. Will be trying to avoid the galway fans on the motorway. Thanks

School or track are just off the Kilcock bypass towards Naas which will bring you back out onto M4 for Maynooth.

This is my first proper 10 miler in a long time, to the point that I have no idea what my 10 mile pace should be, or what time I should be going for.

Aiming for a sub 2.58 marathon, so any advice? Usually sneak in a half marathon, which is a race where I know what I should be doing, but a 10 miler is now alien to me!

Thanks

Have you plugged your recent times into the macmillan race pace calculator? That'll give you your 10 mile pace target if you have a recent HM or even 10k.

Will run this at half marathon pace as Charleville is the main target

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say the info pdf sent by email today is the best of any race I've ran, everything a runner needs to know and no fluff, thanks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Have to say the info pdf sent by email today is the best of any race I've ran,  everything a runner needs to know and no fluff, thanks!
    Aw thanks Supercell - wrote it myself so feedback like that is much appreciated!!

OOnegative wrote: »

School or track are just off the Kilcock bypass towards Naas which will bring you back out onto M4 for Maynooth.
    For a super quick getaway Djemba you could park at the railway station - jog the 900m up to the start. The finish is on the harbour so you can cross the finish line, walk over the bridge and be in you car and away in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Really looking forward to Sunday now. A special mention and kudos to the organisers as well. My wife (Caroline) got in contact with them a few weeks ago and they extremely helpful and understanding around her query. Very much appreciated from both herself and myself. :)

Got to agree with all the sentiments above, between Boards, Facebook, emails, meeting people at trains, the organisation and admin side of things has been fantastic. If the race itself is half as good we are in for a real treat. Kudos to all the team. Now if you could just fix all my niggles in time for Sunday....:)

Just to add to the what the above posters said, well done. Really looking forward to the cake , sorry i mean the race!

Just one quick question, where are the water stations at?

Thanks

Just to add to the what the above posters said,  well done.  Really looking forward to the cake , sorry i mean the race!

Just one quick question, where are the water stations at?

Thanks
    We had originally planned 2 water stations after mile 3 and mile 6 but we're adding one just after mile 8 on the canal due to the forecasted humidity.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback! We're confident we can deliver on the day - we have a good team in the background and a lot of hours have gone into the preparation.
    Once the dust has settled I'll give some insight into race planning, it's been an eye opener!

We had originally planned 2 water stations after mile 3 and mile 6 but we're adding one just after mile 8 on the canal due to the forecasted humidity.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback! We're confident we can deliver on the day - we have a good team in the background and a lot of hours have gone into the preparation.
    Once the dust has settled I'll give some insight into race planning, it's been an eye opener!

Good decision, conditions look like going to be similar to the RnR last weekend though maybe even a bit warmer. Glad there is no Knockmaroon on this one!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Good decision, conditions look like going to be similar to the RnR last weekend though maybe even a bit warmer. Glad there is no Knockmaroon on this one!

Looks like it will be wet also?

Looks like it will be wet also?
    Timing is unclear, currently looks like rain could be over by the race starts but even now is too far to really accurately forecast timing.
    My guess is maybe some light rain/drizzle at the start (like RnR) and drying up later, but really we wont be able to forecast rain timing with much confidence until tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Well that was one of the best organized races I’ve done in a good while,

Information was spot on
    Parking was hassle free
    Number pick up as smooth as can be
    Race started almost on time
    Marshals on route were excellent
    Pacers were also very good (although I had to drop off my one)
    Water stations worked very well, with bins provided
    The extra water station on the canal was a godsend
    Finish line was very calm and easy to move trough
    Then leaving the car park was also excellent

Overall you guys put on a fantastic race and I will definitely be back, well done to all who helped organize the race you did your club proud.

Advertisement