Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to add storage?

Options
  • 14-02-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Im at 252mb left on a 32GB drive on my device, a Linx 1010b tablet/keyboard. I have done all the disk clean ups and optimising possible, deleted unnecessary programs and files. I only have 67mb of photos on it so transferring them wont make any tangible difference. Lately I have been getting error messages and crashes as the disk is obviously very near full. Ive gone through the C drive and there does not seem anything left I can delete, there is tons of Windows stuff but I cant get rid of it without risking trouble.

So what is the solution in this case. I have no media of substance to transfer to a USB key to create space. Is there a way I can use a USB key or device as a plugged in 2nd hard drive to solve this. I would prefer not have one of those bulky HDDs permanently connected to a wire, is there a way to avoid this? Better again can a technician just open it up and add/upgrade the disk to take more memory an option?

I have had the device 3.5yrs without trouble so would prefer not to have to replace it just because it is has used up all the memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I believe there should be microSD slot for memory card that can go as big as 512Gb, but your device support only 128Gb (check manual to be sure)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're gonna face this issue a lot with it only having a 32gb drive. is there a windows.old folder? if so, you can delete it.

Get rid of any software you don't actually need.

I'd recommend you consider getting something else. These types of devices aren't just a Windows version of an Android tablet. You'll find yourself constantly trying to manage the C drive especially when it comes to Windows Updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

is there a windows.old folder? if so, you can delete it.

I recently cleaned up my wife's Linx tablet and the windows.old folder was one of the primary memory hogs. You could also look at running 'Disk Cleanup', one of the Win 10 applications. When run, select 'Clean up system files'.

If you're still having problems, copy any user data off the device and do a factory reset. It's pretty quick.

When you've managed to free up some space, invest in an SD card, and set the system to use that as the primary storage for docs/music/pictures etc.
    If you Google it, there are plenty of how-to tutorials, such as https://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-apps-sd-card-windows-10-november-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As another 1010B user, I’ve had a 64GB SD in it from day 1, and haven’t had issues, so I’ll second that recommendation. Likewise, I tend to point general storage to the card, making it easier to maintain the onboard for OS purposes. It minimises the time spent trying to clean up.

You might need to restore to factory, and kill off any windows.old, but you should be okay after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows on a 32GB NAND is like a 7ft tall basketballer buying a Peel P40. Total joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

ED E wrote: »
    Windows on a 32GB NAND is like a 7ft tall basketballer buying a Peel P40. Total joke.

To some extent I’d agree. At the same time I knew in advance I would mainly want it for light stuff while away from my PC, and can put up with its limitations in that regard.

That said, it is a little hard on its limited ram, and I needed to tweak page file sizes to suit.

For the technically inclined a lightweight debian build might be the panacea for such a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP here, thanks for all the tips. I had already done a disk clean up and it only gave me 1GB. I just checked my Windows.old folder there minute ago and it is only 170kb so nothing to be saved there. It is really frustrating as I have little to no media on the device and I think the only program I have ever downloaded was Abobe Reader. So I really cannot work out why the C drive is 99% full.

Anyway looks like an external SD card is the way to go. But other than that does anyone know is there a list of Windows files that can be deleted without affecting the OS? I wouldnt mind getting rid of the junk in there I never use, I presume deleting stuff like Microsoft Edge and their other apps will have no effect on the OS?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So I really cannot work out why the C drive is 99% full.

Its not you, its by design. My Windows dir is 29.6GB, your machine is 32GB raw or probably about 28GB usable. Simply not enough. The tablet should not have been sold below 64GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Try CCleaner. Every time Windows updates, it gets slightly bigger.

What do you use it for? It's been mentioned already but a linux OS might suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

SpaceMonger - free trial for 30d - will "map" all you drive usage. From there you can see "what using how much". Installer only take 5-6Mb
    You probably already checked and cleaned, but will mention both "TEMP" directories.
    System restore points created?
    Any chance there was another user set up on device?

As it was expressed previously - Windows10 on 32Gb disk - Good as expensive Photo-frame

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I forgot to mention, check out Patch Cleaner, and also take a look at Treesize. If you're still having problems I'd strongly suggest nuking the machine and doing a reinstall.
    Patch Cleaner: http://www.homedev.com.au/free/patchcleaner
    Treesize: https://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

WizTree is free and will tell you what's using your space. I imagine it'll mostly be Windows files.

http://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wiztree-finds-the-files-and-folders-using-the-most-disk-space-on-your-hard-drive/

Advertisement