Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Shooting in Parkland, Florida

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I like the USA, believe it or not, but Jesus it is one fcuked up country.

The country is fine, it's the inhabitants that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Well there's a big difference between a semi-automatic Ar15 and a point 22 magazineless single shot bolt action target rifle. No civilian should have access to automatic, semi-automatic, magazine/revolver, or concealable (i.e. handgun) weapons, ever!

Maybe because I asked a specific question? But you decided to answer one I didn't ask...wonder why?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It still begs the question of need for a civilian population to access to what is essentially a military weapon.

Yep. Plus the bump stock makes a complete ass of the law related to the banning of automatic weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Murica

Sorry, I didn’t mean you, I meant the panjandrums. Sounded like he talking about living in America.

joeysoap wrote:
    Sorry, I didn’t mean you, I meant the panjandrums. Sounded like he talking about living in America.

That's who I was referring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That's who I was referring too.

I get it now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The country is fine, it's the inhabitants that are the problem.

Aye, I remember once being on the beer with a Canadian fella in Nevada once, this typical redneck comes in, seems alright but the barman won't serve him, leaves in a strop. Canuck says to me, back in Moose Jaw ( that's where he was from, how cool is that?) or in Donegal that would be the last we'll see of him, but wait and see. Sure enough, the bucko comes back in the bar with a shotgun, didn't get too far mind, but totally different mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have a friend in Pompano/Deerfield who only found out about it because I texted her. 30 minutes later the school she works in was put on lockdown. There was a delay notifying other schools so I assume at the time of Sky news breaking the story they still weren’t sure what was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have addressed you several times about the Olympics and the weapons used
    no you haven't, you've ignored the question repeatedly.
    Is the sole purpose of an olympic target rifle to kill? If so how do you come to that conclusion. The origin of guns is not relevant to the discussion.

I asked you a question so far you have refused to answer.
    I answered in the post you just quoted. But just in case: I assume zero but have no intention of checking since it is totally irrelevant to the discussion
    I can only assume it would highlight a level of ignorance if you did. Maybe you right in avoiding it.
    Ignorance of what, some cryptic point you are trying to make?

Ignorance of what, some cryptic point you are trying to make?

I don't argue with fools lest onlookers can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another day, another shooting.

Leaders and politicians can say whatever they want, but as long as they do nothing to change it, it will continue ad nauseum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yep. Plus the bump stock makes a complete ass of the law related to the banning of automatic weapons.

Out of mild curiousity, are such devices banned in any other country? If I were to look at French law, for example, is there a paragraph/line that says "bump stocks, as defined by... are forbidden"?

The reason I ask is that they don't actually modify the weapon's action, which is why they were not regulated by the ATF the previous time it came up. The problem is in passing effective legislation which defines them. For example, this rifle uses a perfectly ordinary wooden stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUF-eqSliA . All the bump stock does is make easier a technique which can be learned with a little practice. Basically, training wheels on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't argue with fools lest onlookers can't tell the difference.
    I, unfortunately, seem to have made that mistake already.

Anyway it's become clear you just want to make stupid, unverifiable claims and not actual address any point that going on here so I won't be bothering any more with you.

so I won't be bothering any more with you.

Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

According to cnn the suspect passed a background check to buy the gun at 18yo but its illegal to buy a handgun under 21.
    Baffling law really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Schools in the States do shooter drills where the kids practice what to do when there is an active gunman on campus i.e. go to a designated hiding place or hide under their tables and stay quiet.

I'm currently in a government lab and we have to do active shooter drills. Not gun control because that would be silly, just drills for when the unavoidable happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Here's the suspect

So Cruz was previously identified as a threat( being socially awkward probably futhered his isolation and sense of grievance) to the school but was still allowed access to military grade weaponry.....what could possibly go wrong?.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Douglas High has a place students call “the Emo Gazebo,” he said. “That’s where all the kids that are considered weird or not accepted sat. Kids at the Emo Gazebo didn’t even accept him there. He was just an outcast...He didn’t have any friends.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

and they wonder why these things happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably a kid that was bullied all his life by other kids.

I don't think its fair just to call him a weirdo. He's a weirdo for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/videos/2373361312683885/

Dey Turk awer guns type comments below it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a Christian gun that can't be used by Muslims.

Maybe gun manufacturers could make a version that won't work on children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Like others have said, when nothing happened after Sandy hook nothing was ever going to happen moving forward. And when the NRA have ao much influence one one half of politics ad have a rake of national ads going that literally advocate violence, you can be sure it's going nowhere either.

Think someone mentioned it earlier that as more and more senseless shootings have occurred, the amount of posts in a thread about it have dwindled.

Americans have no real interest in making changes to stop this carnage and sadly, other countries have begun to shrug their shoulders too. Why should we bother showing any empathy when your opinion is belittled with “cars kill too” “you don’t know the difference in an auto and semi auto” deflect, deflect, deflect.

Other people have stopped caring and that’s a real tragedy of Americans own making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Out of mild curiousity, are such devices banned in any other country? If I were to look at French law, for example, is there a paragraph/line that says "bump stocks, as defined by... are forbidden"?
    We don't know that this guy used a bump stock or anything like that, do we? This article includes a discussion of the audio, which seems to suggest he was not. The AR-15 is basically a semi-automatic "civilian" version of the M16, and can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, with better accuracy than if on full auto.

There should be no illusion that the lack of a full auto mode makes a weapon any less dangerous. Less indiscriminate, perhaps.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just listening to RTE; A depressed loner that didn't fit in with his schoolmates and had an unhealthy obsession with firearms.

He set off the fire alarm to get everyone into the corridors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Think someone mentioned it earlier that as more and more senseless shootings have occurred, the amount of posts in a thread about it have dwindled.

Americans have no real interest in making changes to stop this carnage and sadly, other countries have begun to shrug their shoulders too. Why should we bother showing any empathy when your opinion is belittled with “cars kill too” “you don’t know the difference in an auto and semi auto” deflect, deflect, deflect.

Other people have stopped caring and that’s a real tragedy of Americans own making.
    +1 Regular mass murder seems to be a price they are willing to pay for the insane gun culture over there. Sad for the victims, but nothing will ever change and there will be another massacre along shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There's a Christian gun that can't be used by Muslims.

Maybe gun manufacturers could make a version that won't work on children.

That is actually depressing...someone that backwards making and selling guns...Merica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shaunr68 wrote:
    +1 Regular mass murder seems to be a price they are willing to pay for the insane gun culture over there. Sad for the victims, but nothing will ever change and there will be another massacre along shortly.

Again, never underestimate the power of the lobbyists, I suspect if the majority wanted to change these laws in America, they simply may not be able to

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just listening to RTE; A depressed loner that didn't fit in with his schoolmates and had an unhealthy obsession with firearms.

He set off the fire alarm to get everyone into the corridors

I'm always left unimpressed by these school shooters. Why do that? He should know the active shooter drill, start shooting, go to any congregation area and do most of it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Noveight wrote: »
    Of the total use of motor vehicles, what percentage are used for crime?

Of the total use of guns, what percentage are used for crime?

Throw an estimate on those two numbers, compare them and then you might see why you're being ridiculous.

Used as battering rams, getaway cars, used to transport illegal guns, people and drugs, there are a hell of a lot more cars used for crime than guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

He is probably autistic and so cant relate toother people and they cant relate to him. He was adopted too so may have had allsorts of attachment issues relating to that. Is anyone studying these lone male killers and coming up with a common thread of them being loners. It isnt fair to assume he was bullied, if he was very odd and obsessed with guns the other students may have been afraid of him. They had predicted if anyone would shoot up the school it would be him.

The school was supposed to havevery good security in place and yet he walked in with guns. He had been expelled previously so would have known the layout I suppose and the weak security links.

He appears to be a total waste of space and it would have been better for everyone if he had just taken his ownlife.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote:
    He appears to be a total waste of space and it would have been better for everyone if he had just taken his ownlife.

Or maybe resources should have been put in place to prevent this individual from doing this is the first place, and maybe these resources could be used to prevent similar future events?

The reason I ask is that they don't actually modify the weapon's action, which is why they were not regulated by the ATF the previous time it came up. The problem is in passing effective legislation which defines them. For example, this rifle uses a perfectly ordinary wooden stock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUF-eqSliA . All the bump stock does is make easier a technique which can be learned with a little practice. Basically, training wheels on a bike.

Bump firing without a bump stock reduces accuracy IMO. He's performing that action lying down as well along with the barrel support. Standing up and moving and attempting the bump fire technique at the same time reduces accuracy by alot yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdAhTxyP64

The bump stock restores this accuracy to a certain extent which at the end of the day increases the potential casualty rate. I think they are against the spirit of the automatic weapons ban and should be dealt with properly though legislation, though as you mention it could be hard to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Offers an insight into the cultural problem. Any talk of bans or restrictions and people go mental and buy stockpiles of them for no real reason other than "you can't take them away from me now", no threat of removing them and people go back to not really caring too much and not buying guns for no reason - like most countries.

It's easy to buy a gun over here in NZ, or Aus for example, as long as you have a reason. To get a permit is easy, as long as you have a reason. Reasons being hunting, pest control or target shooting. Prove x,y and z and you get your permit. It has the tiny edge of difficulty which people who don't want or need one don't bother but it still stupidly simple and easy that if you want one you can get one. Don't read about mass shootings every other day from this part of the world, do you?

It’s a bit like the ban of sales of alcohol on Good Friday, massive stockpiling. We won’t see anything like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

shaunr68 wrote: »

there was quite a damning qoute this mornign along the ines of the Principal saying "we run regular drills for this type of incident"

I mean....that says it all to me!

Riskymove wrote:
    there was quite a damning qoute this mornign along the ines of the Principal saying "we run regular drills for this type of incident"

Makes a lot of sense really, may have prevented more deaths and injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense really, may have prevented more deaths and injuries

My point is that it is damining that they actually need to do this....they are in a country that expects mass shootings in schools

and no one cares enough to change anything....they want their guns and automatic ones at that etc etc

A 19 year old with a troubled history can legitimately buy a AR 15 or whatever and do this

and another one will do it next month.....and no one cares

Riskymove wrote:
    and no one cares enough to change anything....they want their guns and automatic ones at that etc etc

I disagree with this statement, I suspect many Americans care deeply about this issue, and the numbers could be growing, but since it's not a very democratic society, making changes can be and is hard to do there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As I say in every one of these threads; the American public have decided that in a cost benefit analysis, these mass shootings are a tolerable consequence of their right to bear arms. This is how they wanna live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Here's the suspect
    NIMAN wrote:
    I don't think its fair just to call him a weirdo. He's a weirdo for a reason.

I know it's not popular to say but I think it is clear that he probably has either mental health issues or a learning difficulties. If he was that socially awkward, he wasn't normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Government: Guns are banned! Give us all your guns!

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it.

Government: Don't kill people and go on mass shootings!

People: Nah, fùck the world and fùck existence and fùck being itself.

Banning guns will do jack lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it

If only that were the case, the actual reaction is to threaten violence from the NRA all the way down. The NRA have actually now upped that to calling for violence from the public those who speaks out in opposition of the politicians they fund. This kind of sh*t has a lot to answer for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wish i could say i was surprised by the news, but at this stage, mass shootings are just part of every day life in America. As someone else mentioned, if they did nothing after Sandy Hook, lawmakers clearly have no interest (or the wrong kind of interest - $$) in not having anything change. Gun lobbyists will make damn sure to find something else to blame, other than the high powered rifle that he should never have been allowed to own (because who the **** needs a god damn assault rifle :mad:).

And it will happen again. And again. And again. But Children's lives are apparently a price they are willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

tretorn wrote: »
    He is probably autistic and so cant relate toother people and they cant relate to him
    At this point let me be the first to say you really haven't got a ****ing clue what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

People: Nah, it's mine, I'll just hide it.

Government: Don't kill people and go on mass shootings!

People: Nah, fùck the world and fùck existence and fùck being itself.

Banning guns will do jack lads.

How would this shooter have acquired a gun he could afford in that scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Its time for the American love affair with guns to end
    Its time to change the mindset
    How many more children's lives need to be tragically cut short for this to happen

• Advertisement
Advertisement