Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide rate in Gardaí six times higher than national average?

Options
  • 14-02-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

Gareth O Callaghan has been covering the death of Detective Superintendent Colm Fox. He claims that seven serving members have taken their lives in the last year.

https://twitter.com/GarethOCal/status/963174009142734848

In a force of about 13000 that's 53 per 100,000. The national average in 2016 was 8.5 per 100,000. I find that number staggering. How has this been allowed to continue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

In a force of about 13000 that's 53 per 100,000. The national average in 2016 was 8.5 per 100,000. I find that number staggering. How has this been allowed to continue?

Because the Dept of Justice and Garda senior management don't give a fiddlers about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

A few cops drink in my local and they do some serious drinking. It seems to be a part of the culture in the force. Could be using it to handle the stress?
    Every cop I Know has investment property, these might add to the stress over the last decade with debts built up. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There was always a heavy drinking culture in the AGS and yes a lot of them are property landlords.

But same could be said about the Prison service also

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement