Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadlands Part I - Riding Out

• 14-02-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

It was April 26th, in the year of our lawd eighteen hundred and eighty one. The desert heat was rising all throughout the great territory of Arizona. When it gets that hot, folks get riled some, but it ain't folks you had to worry about. No, the old Sonoran, she was hidin' varmints the likes of which you don't ever want to meet.

Back then, you came to Arizona, you took the old Bayou Vermilion rail out of El Paso and your first stop would have been Tombstone. And, unless you were the cheap sort, your first stop in Tombstone would have been the Oriental Saloon on First Street.

And I tell it true, it's there that the first two heroes in our tale met, seated watching the same poker game. Good old rough and ready George 'Reed' Edlington and the able inventor Silas Kirby....

OOC: George and Silas bit of banter twixt ye, you're watching a game where one guy is clearly winning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

OOC: what sort of stakes are they playing for, is it cents and dimes or is there silver on the table?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Reed bites the top off one of his cigars and spits the piece in his mouth on the floor, before striking a match off the wooden floor and lighting it.

He looks at Silas.

'Howdy. In town long?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Cents and Dimes

Necrominus wrote: »
    Reed bites the top off one of his cigars and spits the piece in his mouth on the floor, before striking a match off the wooden floor and lighting it.

He looks at Silas.

'Howdy. In town long?'

"Just arrived in today, you know how to play this game they are playing?"

The saloon doors swing open and Lysette Koulevla walks in.

The odd gentleman looks up, Tombstone is getting stranger sorts passing through lately. All return to their beers.

Lysette sees that most of the saloon is gathered around the card game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Lysette struts over to the table, scratching a match to life off the brim of her top hat, the deftly swapping it for the cigar in Reed's mouth. As the smoke billows out of her mouth she inquires
    "Whatgwanan? Ya playfuh kach er sumtin entressin?"

Ooc : It turns out there is such a thing as watching too much rastamouse.

Reed gets to his feet angrily.

'Hey, rasta-bitch - that's my cigar!'

He snatches it back, the glint of his brass knuckles on one hand as he does so and inhales, before exhaling a huge puff of smoke in her face.

He shrugs and throws the cigar at her.

'Have it, I prefer this anyways.'

He takes out a tin of chewing tobacco, chews wildly and spits into the bucket on the floor.

'Bullseye!'

Her eyes roll back in their sockets and she tips her hat, saying
    "Thankin' yuh kindly!"
    in a deep southern drawl.
    Her eyes snap back, she smiles, bows and sashays to the bar.

sKeith wrote: »
    "Just arrived in today, you know how to play this game they are playing?"

Reed turns back to Silas.

'Ayuh.. they be playin' poker boy! Don't tell me yuh never played poker? You should join 'em, beginner's luck an'all....

I didn't catch yer name?'

He eyes the rasta bowing at the bar warily. He needs to keep his temper in check... for now, at least.

Banjo wrote: »
    Her eyes roll back in their sockets and she tips her hat, saying
    "Thankin' yuh kindly!"
    in a deep southern drawl.
    Her eyes snap back, she smiles, bows and sashays to the bar.
    The bartender smiles as she approaches.

"Howdy Mam, Ned Boyle at yer service. What ya havin today?"

• Advertisement

Reed turns back to Silas.

'Ayuh.. they be playin' poker boy! Don't tell me yuh never played poker? You should join 'em, beginner's luck an'all....

I didn't catch yer name?'

He eyes the rasta bowing at the bar warily. He needs to keep his temper in check... for now, at least.

"Poker, thats the one where your cards have toadd up to 21, right..."

"The names Kirby. What do people call you?"

"Poker, thats the one where your cards have toadd up to 21, right..."

"The names Kirby. What do people call you?"

Reed guffaws.

'21? What land did they find yuh in boy? Lemme guess, you're one of them there inventor types? Head in the clouds and never watchin' where they walk? Ayuh, I'd be reckonin' that of yuh alright.

Names George. Reed to muh friends. Tryin' to decide if you're one of em yet or not.

What brings yuh to Tombstone anyhap?'

Fourier wrote: »
    The bartender smiles as she approaches.

"Howdy Mam, Ned Boyle at yer service. What ya havin today?"

"Bonjou mesye Ned! Da blans wat chu bacca, him want by mi rum - howma gun say no t'dat?"

Boyle looks askance at Lysette.

"I take it you want rum miss?"

Reed guffaws.

'21? What land did they find yuh in boy? Lemme guess, you're one of them there inventor types? Head in the clouds and never watchin' where they walk? Ayuh, I'd be reckonin' that of yuh alright.

Names George. Reed to muh friends. Tryin' to decide if you're one of em yet or not.

What brings yuh to Tombstone anyhap?'

"Wouldn't want you to get an aneurysm in ur noggin' there ol chap, so i'll just call you georgie.

I came out west in search of the gold and maybe some land to call my own.

Just be stoppin thru Tombstone."

A heavy set of boots step onto the saloon's porch and a man in a broad Stetson walks in.

A few fellers reach for their guns almost on instinct, but relax. He ain't here to kill, least not yet.

Thornbury L Hemp eyes the saloon noticing the gamblin' goin' on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A heavy set of boots step onto the saloon's porch and a man in a broad Stetson walks in.

A few fellers reach for their guns almost on instinct, but relax. He ain't here to kill, least not yet.

Thornbury L Hemp eyes the saloon noticing the gamblin' goin' on.

Thorn looks around summing up the room, seeing if he notices anything about it before he decides. He looks at who is powered who is badass and how he’d leave if it kicks off.
    As he looks side to side he strolls in he whips off his long leather duster, slings it accross his neck revealing the worn smooth twin handles of peacemakers in well oiled rigs at his side with apache slung (horizontal) 12” Bowie’s nesting in the small of his back.

Boyle looks askance at Lysette.

"I take it you want rum miss?"

"Kisaki pwobleme? Ya wani pahley wit dem subtitles?"
    She makes pantomime gestures towards Reed, then at herself and finally the drinky drinky signal. Very slowly she draws an invisible line at chest level and chants slowly
    "Laffin...bouy... biyin... mi... rum..."

Ooc : referring of course to cartoons in popular periodicals

OOC:

Chips:
    Thornbury: 2 White, 1 Red
    George: 3 White
    Lysette: 3 White
    Silas: 1 White, 1 Red, 1 Blue

Reed eyes the new entrant to the bar.

'Pfft, I could take him.'

He looks up at the rasta woman playing charades.

'Barkeep, she wants a rum, an' that new boy there is payin' for it!'

• Advertisement

Thornbury eyes the bar subtly. He clocks George as a possible treat. Two members of Baron Vermilion's enforcement gang sit in the saloon as well. They're known as the Cowboy gang, used to be outlaws before Vermilion saw fit to hire them.

"Wouldn't want you to get an aneurysm in ur noggin' there ol chap, so i'll just call you georgie.

I came out west in search of the gold and maybe some land to call my own.

Just be stoppin thru Tombstone."

'Gold boy? Now yuh have me interested. But if you're gonna survive in the West boy, you're gonna need to know the rules...'

Reed explains the game of poker to Silas.

'And don't call me Georgie boy. I've killed men for less.'

Reed eyes the new entrant to the bar.

'Pfft, I could take him.'

He looks up at the rasta woman playing charades.

'Barkeep, she wants a rum, an' that new boy there is payin' for it!'

Thorn snorts and throws a card (just a card ) at Reed. You seem fun he says (not a trace of humour on his stones visage ( cast conceal arcane on self and hold while we are in company)

Thornbury eyes the bar subtly. He clocks George as a possible treat. Two members of Baron Vermilion's enforcement gang sit in the saloon as well. They're known as the Cowboy gang, used to be outlaws before Vermilion saw fit to hire them.

Ook knowledge who is vermillion

Bar keep three rums one for my new friend and one for the Cat in the hat

Tigger wrote: »
    Ook knowledge who is vermillion
    OOC: Railway Baron who owns the line into Tombstone. Suspected of being a Voodoo bokor.

Thorn snorts and throws a card (just a card ) at Reed. You seem fun he says (not a trace of humour on his stones visage ( cast conceal arcane on self and hold while we are in company)

Reed steps on the card and scrunches it with his boot. 'You got a problem boy? Or just testin' me for a reaction?'

He walks over to Thorn.

'I like problems. Wanna be one?'

'Gold boy? Now yuh have me interested. But if you're gonna survive in the West boy, you're gonna need to know the rules...'

Reed explains the game of poker to Silas.

'And don't call me Georgie boy. I've killed men for less.'

Silas is shocked, he say in a very low voice directed only at georgie, "What, you've killed people? Are you an outlaw?"

Thornbury's power is pulled into his body, not a trace left in the room. You'd really have to have a gift to sense it now.

• Advertisement

OOC: Railway Baron who owns the line into Tombstone. Suspected of being a Voodoo bokor.

Ooc : his name is "baron Vermillion", he's not exactly blending into the background...

Silas is shocked, he say in a very low voice directed only at georgie, "What, you've killed people? Are you an outlaw?"

Reed turns back.

'Ayuh. I've killed men, women, varmints. I'm the toughest son of a bitch in this tavern!'

Boy I just bought you a drink, now if you want to behave like an adult sit back down and drink your drink.
    He looks over at Cat ,”you gonna sit with us Miss?”

Reed turns back.

'Ayuh. I've killed men, women, varmints. I'm the toughest son of a bitch in this tavern!'

Not a flicker on my face but inside I’m howling.

Ooc : his name is "baron Vermillion", he's not exactly blending into the background...
    OOC: Ha! Baron Vermilion is a shorthand, full name Baron Simone LaCroix, owner of Bayou Vermilion rail.

Boy I just bought you a drink, now if you want to behave like an adult sit back down and drink your drink.
    He looks over at Cat ,”you gonna sit with us Miss?”

Reed stares at Thorn for a long moment. 'Temper, remember your temper' he internalises.

'Ayuh. Thank yuh for the drink. What's your name boy?'

• Advertisement

I finish my rum and turn to the barkeep “another for me since this varmint don’t inderstand rounds’”

Thornburry, but my friends call me Thorn, since theys all dead I don’t know why I said that. I stare off into the distance, remembering , always remembering.

Boyle the bartender quickly brings Thornbury another drink.

"There you are Sir"

Reed flicks a cigar to Thorn.

'I can't pay yuh back in kind for the drink. Been down on muh luck recently. I can give yuh a smoke though. Got plenty of that for now.'

'And muh name is George. Reed to muh friends.'

• Advertisement

Reed flicks a cigar to Thorn.

'I can't pay yuh back in kind for the drink. Been down on muh luck recently. I can give yuh a smoke though. Got plenty of that for now.'

Thank you kindly, mam you Gots a light he nods at Cat

'And muh name is George. Reed to muh friends.'

Pleased to meet you Sir .

Lysette waits for one of the gamblers to lean forward to rake in his winnings; she rolls the shot glass across her face with her forearm, tipping it's contents into her mouth and then spinning it off into a corner as she rises from the bar, slides the gamblers chair out while his weight is shifted elsewhere and joins her benefactor.
    "Mess mesi! Nah, wata buncha ruffntuffs lyk yisselvs dwan in a town lyk dis?"

Silas asks Georgie, "So, which are better, the reds or the blacks?"

Pleased to meet you Sir .

'Pleasure is all mine. What brings yuh to Tombstone... Thorn did yuh say?'

Reed extends his left hand to shake with Thorn, still concealing his right under his duster.

You ask a lot a questions Sir, I'll ask you one in return, is it true the world has changed?
    I herd rumor

'Well, we had a sayin' back where I came from. Always bet on black!

Mind you, I don't have too much money right now pardner so take from that what yuh want.'

'Pleasure is all mine. What brings yuh to Tombstone... Thorn did yuh say?'

Reed extends his left hand to shake with Thorn, still concealing his right under his duster.

Bad luck to shake hands with your left had sir!
    only injuns do that

Bad luck to shake hands with your left had sir!

Reed nods.

'Ayuh. But yuh don't want me to show yuh what's on muh right hand. Might cause problems fer us here. And I don't feel like problems right now, unless I'm makin' em.'

Reed nods.

'Ayuh. But yuh don't want me to show yuh what's on muh right hand. Might cause problems fer us here. And I don't feel like problems right now, unless I'm makin' em.'

I take three quick steps back

• Advertisement
Advertisement