Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm not sure it didnt time out to allow the organisers to print out the sign in etc. There's an email on the page, worth touching base just in case they can sort you as theres no on the day registration.

Entries for the Orwell Randonnee this weekend are now closed and the waiting list is also full. We will NOT be taking entries on the day
    ^

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I have an entry that i may not be able to use if my new rear derailleur does not arrive. If that's the case how do i transfer my entry to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

I have an entry that i may not be able to use if my new rear derailleur does not arrive. If that's the case how do i transfer my entry to someone else?

I'd buy of you if you can transfer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

I've an entry for the full that I can't use, selling at cost price, E35. First PM secures

• Advertisement

Milk_Tray wrote:
    I'd buy of you if you can transfer..

I got the bike sorted in the end so im gonna give it a bash. Just out of curiosity how long do people expect to do it in. My legs have a fear of hills so im hoping for about 6.5 hours

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I got the bike sorted in the end so im gonna give it a bash. Just out of curiosity how long do people expect to do it in. My legs have a fear of hills so im hoping for about 6.5 hours

I would guess close to 6 hours for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did it in 5.50 moving, 6.12 total, last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

It’s doesnt close until 6pm. I might use all 9 hours🀓

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm only concerned with finishing in ok nick, not what my time is! I felt like sh1t on my last training spin after building very nicely so far this year so just want to feel ok after it :)

• Advertisement

What should I expect at this tomorrow? I got a last minute ticket but have never done an event like this only normal weekend cycles...

Milk_Tray wrote:
    What should I expect at this tomorrow? I got a last minute ticket but have never done an event like this only normal weekend cycles...

Im in the same boat. 1300 meters of climbing is the most ive done in a single ride and this is double. My plan is to try keep the Hr at 175 on the climbs and just tip away steady as she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Im in the same boat. 1300 meters of climbing is the most ive done in a single ride and this is double. My plan is to try keep the Hr at 175 on the climbs and just tip away steady as she goes.
    Also bear in mind that, although not a climb as such, the Lakeshore drive is very energy sapping. Take it easy there and leave something in reserve for the second ascent to the Sally Gap.

Milk_Tray wrote: »

Randonee Light takes a shortcut midway through. It will be signposted and marshalls will be calling it out in advance. When you're getting close see how you feel and if its taking a lot from you veer off to the Light. That saves you a small number of KMs but a good 500m of climb.

PS: Eat well at the foodstop. Suncream suncream suncream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mind The Wall.

ED E wrote: »
    ..Suncream suncream suncream.
    It's normally pissing rain, cold, hail stones, sleet, side winds, headwinds etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Randonee Light takes a shortcut midway through. It will be signposted and marshalls will be calling it out in advance. When you're getting close see how you feel and if its taking a lot from you veer off to the Light. That saves you a small number of KMs but a good 500m of climb.

Splits much earlier, something like 18k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm in!!

See you in the morning D. I'll be in Swordsie rather than Boardsie gear. Go easy on me as I'm nursing a few wounds from last weekend 🀕

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭The Ging and I

Is it really that tasty :D

Whyner wrote: »
    Splits much earlier, something like 18k

Derp, you're correct.

• Advertisement

Ah so there’s stops throughout ? That’s make it a bit more manageable

Ah so there’s stops throughout ? That’s make it a bit more manageable

It'd definitely be worth reading the webpage if you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

It'd definitely be worth reading the webpage if you haven't.
    If you haven’t done this amount of climbing before then know the geopgraphy so you can pace your efforts. Hitting red too soon in the day will make it painful. Lakeshore is not flat and don’t plan it as respite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

D'oh. How does this always come around so quickly? Maybe next year. :pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Enjoy it folks, seems you'll have a rarity, a Randonnee with beautiful weather. Keep hydrated and bring the sun cream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Unprecedented weather for the Randonnee! Hope everyone has a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Heard from a couple of the Orwell guys who did the route today as they will be manning the water stops tomorrow. The advice was to bring a second bottle and suncream!

P_1 wrote: »
    .... a Randonnee with beautiful weather. Keep hydrated and bring the sun cream ;).....
    Miklos wrote: »
    Unprecedented weather for the Randonnee!....
    ..... The advice was to bring a second bottle and suncream!......
    Jesus, rub it in lads! :(

Hope you all have a great day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

See you in the morning D. I'll be in Swordsie rather than Boardsie gear. Go easy on me as I'm nursing a few wounds from last weekend ��

I'm about 800km shy of this time last year. Haven't done any spin over 100km so far this year and havent gone above 1500m climbing so I'll not be punishing anyone other than myself. There's a chance I'll suffer more tomorrow than ever before on the bike...... Lets roll:D

• Advertisement

Without doubt the hardest and best day I've ever had on the bike. Never has a burger tasted so good.

Had nothing left on the last trip to the gap and thought i was going to have to get off. A lad in a bordsie jersey passed me at this point like the hill wasnt even there which was so demoralizing :D Finished in 5hr 50mins which is much better than i thought i could do.

Advertisement