Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart bulbs and switches for a not-so-smart first timer.

• 14-02-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Board-ers.

I’m a gadget and tech lover who’s not very technical, but I’ve been bitten by the HA bug and am trying to research the beJesus out of it so I don’t waste my money on rubbish.

As I’m not very technical I’m looking at going down the Apple HomeKit route as it seems to be idiotproof in terms of pairing devices. Plus both my Mrs and I are iPhone users, and I also have a 3rd gen Apple TV (though if the process proved successful I’d upgrade to a 4th gen for the automation ability, in the future).

I’ll most likely start with lighting, and I think Lifx would be my bulb of choice.

However, in order for it to be a success and not have herself divorce me, I’d want/need the setup to fulfill some immediate and important criteria:

1. I WANT to be able control the lights by voice using Siri, remotely and/or with automation, which should be pretty much “out of the box” standard;

but also
    b. I NEED my small children and visitors to be able turn on and off the lights as they need.

So, would anybody please be able tell me if it’s possible to replace my current wall switches with smart ones from the likes of Lightwaverf or Xaomi, in conjunction with the smart bulbs, so that my MiniMe’s and guests (and I’ll be honest, my other half when she misplaces her phone) can operate the lights as “normal” without them turning them off fully and making it impossible to use the bulbs as I would like @ #1 above?

If it’s not possible, could it be achieved using a button such as the Logipop or Elgato Eve switch instead, and just ignore the original one?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! 🀞ðŸ¼

Thanxamil,
    KRN.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd recommend Philips Hue bulbs and hub to you.

It works well with Siri and pretty much everything else (Google Home, Alexa, etc.). You can then also get the Philips Hue dimmer switches for the kids to use and motion sensors to trigger lights in rooms where that is suitable (e.g. hallways, etc.) Most Hue users then cover up the old light switch in one of a number of different manners.

Smart light switches tend to get very complicated very fast if trying to use them with smart bulbs. It is possible, but requires multiple hubs and bridges and some custom code, so not simple and might end up be less reliable.

For instance one option would be:

Xiaomi Switches -> Xiaomi Hub -> RaspberryPi running MQTT -> Smart Things Hub running MQTT code -> Philips Hue bridge - ouch, possible, but complicated.

Another option:
    Fibario modules (behind light switches) -> Smart Things -> Philips Hue bridge, a bit less complicated, but the Fibario stuff is expensive and still a bit complicated.

Generally people don't mix smart switches and smart bulbs (beyond using the Hue dimmer switch) as it gets complicated. Normally people either use smart switches with just dumb bulbs or they use Philip Hue bulbs within it's own gear (hue bridge, hue switch and hue dimmer switches). It is technically possible to mix them, it just gets complicated and requires more time and skills.

BTW I had similar requirements to you. Smart lighting, but it had to be family friendly, reliable and easy to use by herself and visiting family and child minders. I'm VERY happy with my Hue setup in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knightridernut

Appreciate the input BK!

I was all ready to reply with "I'm allergic to the idea of the Hue with its hub", "the Lifx bulbs themselves look better imo (and some even come in a class looking gunmetal colour!!)", "the Lifx app looks better/more functional in any recent Youtube video I've seen (I downloaded both apps last night to play with, but can't get past a registration type page on either one without an actual bulb)" etc, but then I read a reply you wrote on somebody else's post "Hue vs Lifx", entry #4, (it won't let me post the link) and what you said seemed to make sense with regards the range of products (and not just bulbs) in the Hue line, but most importantly that they continue working even if the wifi goes down.

Could you tell me, though, from your experience with Hue and the hub:
    a. It looks like you have to plug the hub directly into the router via ethernet cable? Is there an option for wireless connection?
    ii. We recently bought a house where the original, and larger, part was built sometime in the 1930's so has fairly thick walls - if I found hub range to be an issue, any idea if it could be overcome with a wifi extender or another hub?? Or do the bulbs operate as a mesh?
    3. I saw a review on Youtube yesterday for Lifx bulbs where the guy bought 18(!!!) of them and he pointed out that each one was individually linked to the wifi, therefore, as I understand it, he had 18 drains on his network. Is it a similar case with the Hue, or is it only one drain i.e. the hub?

Thanxamil again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Could you tell me, though, from your experience with Hue and the hub: a. It looks like you have to plug the hub directly into the router via ethernet cable? Is there an option for wireless connection? ii. We recently bought a house where the original, and larger, part was built sometime in the 1930's so has fairly thick walls - if I found hub range to be an issue, any idea if it could be overcome with a wifi extender or another hub?? Or do the bulbs operate as a mesh? 3. I saw a review on Youtube yesterday for Lifx bulbs where the guy bought 18(!!!) of them and he pointed out that each one was individually linked to the wifi, therefore, as I understand it, he had 18 drains on his network. Is it a similar case with the Hue, or is it only one drain i.e. the hub?

You shouldn't have that issue, the lamps have are part of a mesh network, it's not operated over your wifi signal. So you can add lamps between dead spots to increase the network range

Stoner wrote: »
    You shouldn't have that issue, the lamps have are part of a mesh network, it's not operated over your wifi signal. So you can add lamps between dead spots to increase the network range

Right so, looks like I need to do some research into the Hue then.

Thanxamil Stoner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have bought the TP Link Kasa products recently. Started off with their smart plugs when we wanted to be able to control a slow cooker while we were out at work, then bought more for standing lamps and Christmas tree etc when we traveled back to Ireland for Christmas (Live in California). They were really good for that purpose (for reference: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Required-Assistant-HS105-KIT/dp/B06WD6Q8K9/)

As I had good experiences with the Kasa app and ease of use of their smart plugs (no hub required) I ventured into their security camera for a baby monitor, which i've found very good while testing (baby due in March) (for reference: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Security-Assistant-Chromecast-KC120/dp/B074WJPPCZ/)

And now to swing back to your point, I also went for their smart bulbs. Baby is due in a few weeks and we wanted to somehow have dim-able light bulbs for those middle of the night feeds etc. Nothing worse than turning on a very bright light at 3 AM :) I tried a Philips Hue device, but it didn't really fit our needs, so I will return that. Bought these instead and they just slotted into our beside lamps no problem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXM8X88/

Got the multi-colour option just to see what it was like. After using them for a month so far, they are very good. I have them connected via Alexa show and spot to set dim level % and presets etc. You can set each bulb individually, or as a pair (setup in alexa app). Kasa Cam and plugs also commandable via Alexa.

The nice thing about TP-Link Kasa as mentioned is no hub. I started looking into Phillips Hue and the cost just started mounting when I worked out what I'd need.

I haven't tried siri yet (i use Iphone). I didn't really need to as I had the Alexa devices there and then of course the Kasa TP Link App for control via the app itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just FYI, the above links are for Kasa bulbs for the US market and their fitting won't work in Ireland and they are only 110v and thus won't work with Irish 220v

There are Irish suitable ones over on amazon.co.uk

Similarly the Kasa Cam isn't available in UK/Ireland yet. It does seem good, hopefully it will come to our shores soon.

I've a Kasa UK Plug and also a TP-Link wifi router and like them both very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

bk wrote: »
    Just FYI, the above links are for Kasa bulbs for the US market and their fitting won't work in Ireland and they are only 110v and thus won't work with Irish 220v

There are Irish suitable ones over on amazon.co.uk

Similarly the Kasa Cam isn't available in UK/Ireland yet. It does seem good, hopefully it will come to our shores soon.

I've a Kasa UK Plug and also a TP-Link wifi router and like them both very much.

Exactly... yeah, you'd need to get the versions that support the Irish/UK voltage.

I have bought the TP Link Kasa products recently

I haven't tried siri yet (i use Iphone). I didn't really need to as I had the Alexa devices there and then of course the Kasa TP Link App for control via the app itself.

Good man for that Third_Echelon.

However, after a bit of reading online it appears that these products are not directly controllable by HomeKit, but rather through HomeBridge and a Raspberry Pi or the likes. This is wwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond both my ability and my enthusiasm levels! Lol.

Thanxamil though.

However, after a bit of reading online it appears that these products are not directly controllable by HomeKit, but rather through HomeBridge and a Raspberry Pi or the likes. This is wwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond both my ability and my enthusiasm levels! Lol.

That is one of the advantages of Philips Hue, amazing ecosystem, best of any HA product, supports everything easily out of the box. Siri/Homekit works very well with it.

bk wrote: »
    That is one of the advantages of Philips Hue, amazing ecosystem, best of any HA product, supports everything easily out of the box. Siri/Homekit works very well with it.

I also read you can now force pair the Ikea Tradfri bulbs to Hue.

Sadly, though, it appears that if you ask HomeKit/Siri to control your Hue/Ikea tag-team, the Ikea ones fail to respond. If that changes in the near future, I think I'd be all over that combo like a rash in need of a steroidal ointment!!

• Advertisement

I also read you can now force pair the Ikea Tradfri bulbs to Hue.

Sadly, though, it appears that if you ask HomeKit/Siri to control your Hue/Ikea tag-team, the Ikea ones fail to respond. If that changes in the near future, I think I'd be all over that combo like a rash in need of a steroidal ointment!!

Haha nice imagery there :P

Yes, I've two Ikea €7 GU10 bulbs hooked up to my Hue Hub. They are ok, but maybe not worth the trouble. You are right, they don't appear in homekit and have some other issues. I'll probably replace mine with official Hue ones eventually.

Advertisement