Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon socks

Options
  • 15-02-2018 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

What socks would people advice for running a marathon in 14-18degrees?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whatever socks you normally use? No need for anything different because its the marathon. I use the Lidl running socks mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

huber wrote: »
    What socks would people advice for running a marathon in 14-18degrees?

Same socks as for any other run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

adrian522 wrote: »
    Whatever socks you normally use? No need for anything different because its the marathon. I use the Lidl running socks mainly.

+1 on this. Bought a couple pairs when they were on special before the marathon last year and although they havent really kept well, there a great sock for the price.

Couldnt find my hilly ones the day before the marathon, but I done a lot of my long runs in the Lidl ones aswell so I was able to use those instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lidl all the way for me. I use them for all my long runs. I have tried a fair few other brands - kalenji, puma, penneys, pro touch, 1000 mile - but my favourite and old reliables are Lidl. I did DCM in them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I wouldn't over think your socks, I've spent >€15's on socks I hate and <€3 on Lidl and Puma ones that I love.
    Just wear what you feel comfortable in, slightly more padding and a good inch or 2 above the neck of the shoe would be recommended for longer distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Bodyglide on the tops of the toes, in between them, the inside and outside and you should be fine with most running socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    +1 on this. Bought a couple pairs when they were on special before the marathon last year and although they havent really kept well, there a great sock for the price.

Couldnt find my hilly ones the day before the marathon, but I done a lot of my long runs in the Lidl ones aswell so I was able to use those instead!

I normally train in Lidl socks and run the longer training sessions/marathons/ultras in Hilly Twin Skins. Great sock and extremely long wear in them.
    Used to run in 1000 Miler socks but was getting too many blisters from them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Use 1000 mile for most long runs and races of 10k-50k. Plenty of Lidl socks that I use for shorter runs. Never had a blister on any long or short run or race. Lucky I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    ....and a good inch or 2 above the neck of the shoe would be recommended for longer distances.
    What would the benefit be here? I'd usually wear the lower socklet type socks as opposed to anklet socks......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

healy1835 wrote: »
    What would the benefit be here? I'd usually wear the lower socklet type socks as opposed to anklet socks......

Once you have no concerns that the shoe could rub then that should be ok, for me I like to err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

As regards the OP, I'd wear the Hilly Marathon Fresh socks for a Marathon, but I honestly haven't found much difference between them and the Crivit socks from Lidl. I've stocked up on both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I'm also a fan of Lidl/Aldi socks. I stopped buying expensive socks years ago.

A little tip....get them a size too small. That way they are more snug on your feet (they will still fit!) and are less prone to movement thereby reducing friction and hence blisters! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

geld wrote: »
    A little tip....get them a size too small.

Depends if your foot size is at the upper or lower end of the size range for the socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Have worn the hilly's and they are very good. Supportive and breathable. Huge fan of the Aldi - good support, very breathable and a little extra for the pressure points. The Aldi ones even have the L&R printed, handy when you are in a rush. Both are faultless in my experience.

Friendly reminder that LIDL have running socks back in TODAY at 3 euro a pair, absolute bargain they have lasted me ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Friendly reminder that LIDL have running socks back in TODAY at 3 euro a pair, absolute bargain they have lasted me ages.

Well now i definitely have no sympathy for you if they're all gone when you get there :P:pac:

ariana` wrote: »
    Well now i definitely have no sympathy for you if they're all gone when you get there :P:pac:

They are in every shop except for Finglas, I swear...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

They are in every shop except for Finglas, I swear...:pac:

There was a shortage of size 9-10.....after I left! :D

Advertisement