Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New business venture

Options
  • 15-02-2018 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I am trying to establish my own business and after some research have developed a new product I want to bring to the market. (Baby clothing) I am looking to get advice on how I go about getting s prototype made and then sourcing a manufacturer abroad? Do I need to travel to these countries? Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Hi

I am trying to establish my own business and after some research have developed a new product I want to bring to the market. (Baby clothing) I am looking to get advice on how I go about getting s prototype made and then sourcing a manufacturer abroad? Do I need to travel to these countries? Any advice would be appreciated

What have you learned from your research so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 crazyground2005

What have you learned from your research so far?

That there is a need for my product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

clothing industry would be a tough one to get into. Theres no true copyright/patent as most places that manufacture don't seem to care so what ever design you send to another country to produce if they like the design they could copy it and manufacture it themselves. All this I heard from a friend of mine that does cloths design work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Make and sell it locally first to friends and family etc. to iron out any problems. After that afaik, you'll need deep pockets and/or good contacts. Lucrative market if you can get into the right places at the right price but a lot of 'ifs'. Maybe better to sell the idea after proving it?

Ya just did a quick look around there found this video.

Bottom line you need to be first to market meaning you need to manufacture it first and make the money fast before others copy the design.
    If the design is something truly new perhaps there could be some way of getting a patent but you need to do this research.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Make and sell it locally first to friends and family etc. to iron out any problems. After that afaik, you'll need deep pockets and/or good contacts. Lucrative market if you can get into the right places at the right price but a lot of 'ifs'. Maybe better to sell the idea after proving it?

My question is how do I make it locally. Is there a copy that can mass produce my product in Ireland or abroad?

Ya just did a quick look around there found this video.

Bottom line you need to be first to market meaning you need to manufacture it first and make the money fast before others copy the design.
    If the design is something truly new perhaps there could be some way of getting a patent but you need to do this research.

I’m definitely going to get a patent
    My question is about getting it produced and on the market

Ideally you would make the first prototype yourself and test it out on a real baby. if you dont have the skills to do this then there are places in ireland that design custom cloths like wedding,communion dresses etc. it could be expensive but at least then you will have a design that the factories can copy/produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

do you intend sewing your own garments or printing your designs on to a pre-made garment ?

either way is easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ripping

My advice is if you can sell it then it will work. I have worked with many companies that have a great product / service but fall flat while those that have mediocre offerings excel cause they have strong sales. Also, from the companies and entrepreneurs that I have had the privilege to advice , I have seen that patents and copyrights aren't meaningful unless you have the money to protect them in court. Rather position a strong brand and customer base, with a client centric approach. Keep the burn rate (overheads) as low as possible, creating value creatively - this approach will keep you lean while not working yourself into a capital nightmare... I could carry on forever but need to stop somewhere lol. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I wouldn't suggest traveling anywhere to get a prototype. Send your blueprints off to various clothing manufacturers in China. Let me make it up and post it out to you. Most of them will do it for next to nothing. This will give you good idea of delivery times, quality of good, cost of shipping and also test the reliability of the manufacturers. If you want to keep cost down this is probably your best bet.

Advertisement