Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant with skin problem

Options
  • 15-02-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

occupier/Landlord with tenants. Tenant A has a skin condition and after he has been in the living room there can be some flakes of skin (from eczema), the buildup can be substantial at times. Another tenant (Tenant B) shares bathroom with him and says he finds big amounts in the shower etc.
    It does not effect me hugely as I do not occupy those areas.
    I have pointed it out to said tenant twice and asked him to clean it which he did.

Tenant B wants me to broach the subject with Tenant A again.

Suggestions for best way forward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Explain that he needs to keep the areas clean or he'll need to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

Do you think it is my responsibility to police this or should tenant B speak up to tenant A if he has the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Do you think it is my responsibility to police this or should tenant B speak up to tenant A if he has the problem?

As you live there - I think you should get involved.
    If you didn't live there I think you would have to leave them to resolve it themselves.

Is it an issue for you? I mean these substantial amounts of skin flakes, do you notice them in the living room? Or is it a case of tenant B being a bit over sensitive?

"Huge amounts in the shower". I'd have thought a well draining shower would flush skin flakes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's a really sensitive issue. Tricky.

But if you could broach it, it sounds like it might be easy to deal with. The housemate would just need to give the sitting room a quick lick of a hoover, by the sound of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If you could provide one of those small hand held hoovers it would be easy for him to clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

Ghekko wrote: »
    If you could provide one of those small hand held hoovers it would be easy for him to clean up.

Thanks for all the replies. That is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

grim

Ghekko wrote: »

Or tell him to buy it himself. The person his the op's licensee not his child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If you live there also then they are potentially a licensee. Explain the issue, if not resolved, evict

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Tell him he will have to hoover up after himself daily when he is molting.
    If he refuses, kick him out and hope your next tenant is not as gross.

Seems a bit of an over-reaction in here to this issue?

I doubt he's doing it on purpose. You need to find a middle ground. Evicting someone because they have a skin problem? I mean, come on.

You need to figure out if the skin flakes are an actual issue, or if the other tenant is making it an issue. Use the affected areas yourself. Certainly don't point blame at the chap with the skin issue, I'm sure he's heard it all his life and doesn't need an uncomfortable situation at home over it.

Go out and buy a little handheld hoover 'for the house' and just leave it there. Don't specifically buy one for this issue or make him go and get one. Have a bit of decency about it and put yourself in his shoes.

I'm thankful i never had any such issues myself but I'd like to think i'd have a heart when dealing with someone who does.

Advertisement