Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2018 - 3rd June

Options
  • 15-02-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Thought I’d start a thread. Just over 15 weeks to go. Have many signed up?

I signed up a few weeks ago. Will be my second time doing it. It was my first marathon last year and I was injured so limped around the route so looking forward to doing it properly this year. I will be looking for advice on pacing it. I had a negative split of 7 mins in DCM but all the hills were at the start. They are all after 16 miles in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Thinking of doing the half again. Did it 2 years ago, when they sent us the wrong way on a baking hot day

It'll either be this or Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

colin32 wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the half again. Did it 2 years ago, when they sent us the wrong way on a baking hot day

It'll either be this or Edinburgh

I heard about that. I didn’t do it that year. Not the day you want extra miles!

No, and it's a tough course at the best of times. Said I'd never do it again, but if can get fit enough might give it a bash

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I've ran it 3 times and am doing it again this year. I love running it. The only downside is getting passed by the half marathon runners when you're wrecked.
    But it's a great marathon in a lovely city

colin32 wrote: »
    No, and it's a tough course at the best of times. Said I'd never do it again, but if can get fit enough might give it a bash

At 20 miles last year I said I’d never do another marathon again - it will be my 4th in June :D

• Advertisement

fennor72 wrote: »
    I've ran it 3 times and am doing it again this year. I love running it. The only downside is getting passed by the half marathon runners when you're wrecked.
    But it's a great marathon in a lovely city

I think they were ahead of me last year for the most part anyway. I do remember a few relay runners belting last me just after relay change over and then a while later passing them back out again - that was a good feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I entered this two years ago now and have yet to run it due to ACL rupture. Hoping this is the year I can make the startline.

107 days.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    At 20 miles last year I said I’d never do another marathon again - it will be my 4th in June :D

I say that for 10km as well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Not signed up yet but intend on running it...it'll be 8 years since my last Cork marathon!

aquinn wrote: »
    I entered this two years ago now and have yet to run it due to ACL rupture. Hoping this is the year I can make the startline.

107 days.

But who’s counting :D

Ouch. Did that skiing this time 9 years ago! Did you have it repaired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

But who’s counting :D

Ouch. Did that skiing this time 9 years ago! Did you have it repaired?

Yes, also happened skiing. Not a fun experience.

Got operated on April 2016. A long and difficult recovery but getting there finally.

Did you go for the operation or leave it?

aquinn wrote: »
    Yes, also happened skiing. Not a fun experience.

Got operated on April 2016. A long and difficult recovery but getting there finally.

Did you go for the operation or leave it?

I had the operation. They made a new ligament from tendons in my other leg. Was definitely a good year before I was back on track. Never had as much as a twinge since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

I've been thinking about Cork also this year, time of year suits. Any discount code floating around to ease the pain.

mccutchie wrote: »
    I've been thinking about Cork also this year, time of year suits. Any discount code floating around to ease the pain.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen discount codes for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harry_bealy

Ran 2017 race and loved it, so have just signed up again and will go for a sub 3.

Overall, it's relatively flat, with some nice stretches (Marina, Blackrock/Mahon loop, last 2.5 miles with the wind at your back!!). Definitely PB territory.

The hills when they do come however, come at precisely the wrong time. So incorporating hills into training/tempo runs becomes even more important. I wobbled badly in the heat last year once we reached the area around the Lough.

Coming in early June, will be either pouring rain, or scorchio.

Mallow 10 mile in late March will be a great warm up. Sold out but some transfers may still be available.

Any others looking at sub 3 or thereabouts?

Ran 2017 race and loved it, so have just signed up again and will go for a sub 3.

Overall, it's relatively flat, with some nice stretches (Marina, Blackrock/Mahon loop, last 2.5 miles with the wind at your back!!). Definitely PB territory.

The hills when they do come however, come at precisely the wrong time. So incorporating hills into training/tempo runs becomes even more important. I wobbled badly in the heat last year once we reached the area around the Lough.

Coming in early June, will be either pouring rain, or scorchio.

Mallow 10 mile in late March will be a great warm up. Sold out but some transfers may still be available.

Any others looking at sub 3 or thereabouts?

Wow - that’s some time you are going for. I’m going for 4:10 I hope. Last year I started struggling round The Lough too but Farranlea road was the last straw and started to walk at that stage and just ran / walked the rest. I’ll be looking for pacing advice closer to the time as ran Dublin with a 7 min negative split but not sure how to pace Cork considering the hills at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Wow - that’s some time you are going for. I’m going for 4:10 I hope. Last year I started struggling round The Lough too but Farranlea road was the last straw and started to walk at that stage and just ran / walked the rest. I’ll be looking for pacing advice closer to the time as ran Dublin with a 7 min negative split but not sure how to pace Cork considering the hills at the end.

I struggled badly last year from Mahon on, but like yourself, Farranalea Road was the final straw. I was searching for shade anywhere on that section. I ran a negative split on the old course in 2015, but I ran the first 15 miles very conservatively (1st marathon) and it was lashing rain that day too, so I didn't overheat. I think it's best done with even splits - so a conservative start, but saving something for the hills at the end. It won't feel like even effort though - you'll still be pushing on in the 2nd half, but the hills will slow you down. I think a lot depends on the weather in Cork. If its a hot day, then your hitting those hills at the hottest part of the day as well. I know they're not Clon style hills, but the feel bug enough at the end of a marathon! I'd try and get out on them for your long runs if possible, and also a get a feel for running the 2nd half of the course at marathon effort.

I'm in for the half myself, but I've no idea how I'm going to approach it yet.

I struggled badly last year from Mahon on, but like yourself, Farranalea Road was the final straw. I was searching for shade anywhere on that section. I ran a negative split on the old course in 2015, but I ran the first 15 miles very conservatively (1st marathon) and it was lashing rain that day too, so I didn't overheat. I think it's best done with even splits - so a conservative start, but saving something for the hills at the end. It won't feel like even effort though - you'll still be pushing on in the 2nd half, but the hills will slow you down. I think a lot depends on the weather in Cork. If its a hot day, then your hitting those hills at the hottest part of the day as well. I know they're not Clon style hills, but the feel bug enough at the end of a marathon! I'd try and get out on them for your long runs if possible, and also a get a feel for running the 2nd half of the course at marathon effort.

I'm in for the half myself, but I've no idea how I'm going to approach it yet.

Thanks HBS. I was going to chase you for advice at some stage :-) i’ve 16 miles to do tomorrow so going to run the second half of the route finishing on the straight road. Might as well start including the hills as much as possible.

I agree, I think the weather will make all the difference on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

In for the half, haven't done it since 2014 and always liked this race so might as well give it another shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 charloda

Great race for the marathon, lots of support couple of quiet places coming out of lee tunnel, 2nd half plenty of support out there, some though hills in places but overall very fair track, finish is fast last couple miles flat or even negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Yep register for the full; did my first sub 3 there in rainy 2015 (that long ago?).

Would love a new PB there this year; praying for rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

echancrure wrote: »
    Yep register for the full; did my first sub 3 there in rainy 2015 (that long ago?).

What are you down to these days, Echancure? 2.50, 2.52? I remember enjoying your report of the race and the whole event in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

echancrure wrote:

That makes two of us (praying for rain that is). The humidity on warm day is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Itziger wrote: »
    What are you down to these days, Echancure? 2.50, 2.52? I remember enjoying your report of the race and the whole event in 2015.

Yeah Cork 2015 was magical for me.
    I did Dublin 2016 in 2:49 so I'll be looking to improve on that all being well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

echancrure wrote: »
    Yeah Cork 2015 was magical for me.
    I did Dublin 2016 in 2:49 so I'll be looking to improve on that all being well.

Ooops, sorry for not getting the sub 2.50 right. That's a great barrier to break and now another big one, the sub 4 min/km. For someone who runs in kms, that's a massive line to cross even though not many others would appreciate it. Remember the first time you did sub 40 for a 10k...........

Ran most of the 2nd half of the route in my 16 mile LSR this morn! Hadn’t been on Farranlea road since the 4th June last year and it brought back memories.

Think i’ll do it a few times before the big day. Even today I had a bit of a mental block about it and noticed once I was over it I felt really strong and my pace picked up yet I dragged going up the hill itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Did the full last year (great day out), hopefully might do the relay if I can get a team together or join one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hi all,

Ive just signed up to do this. just reading above, how hard are these hills towards the end ? I don't know the route well. This is my first marathon also. I did the dublin half a few years ago in 1 hr 40 so I'm not a complete novice but have only just got back in running since xmas building up from 5k to 12k in last week. So I have work to do.

Hi all,

Ive just signed up to do this. just reading above, how hard are these hills towards the end ? I don't know the route well. This is my first marathon also. I did the dublin half a few years ago in 1 hr 40 so I'm not a complete novice but have only just got back in running since xmas building up from 5k to 12k in last week. So I have work to do.

Congrats on signing up. The hills aren’t that bad on their own but it’s where the come in the marathon that is the problem in Cork. Dublin has actually more hills but they are at the start when your legs aren’t tired. In Cork the hills of any significance start as you enter Ballyphehane and you are climbing for a bit - on a normal day they really wouldn’t be that significant and each of them is quite short. You have one on Connolly road by Tory Top Park and then a bit of a drag before you turn onto Pouladuff road which is downhill. After the Lough you start on a drag again upto Magazing road and then a nice down Orchard Road and then you have a fairly decent drag up Farranlea road which is at 21 miles. After that is a nice downhill and then completely flat. Are you from Cork? Maybe include them towards the end of your long runs if you are. Good to practice them on tired legs.

I did Cork as my first marathon last year. It’s a lovely one to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Congrats on signing up. The hills aren’t that bad on their own but it’s where the come in the marathon that is the problem in Cork. Dublin has actually more hills but they are at the start when your legs aren’t tired. In Cork the hills of any significance start as you enter Ballyphehane and you are climbing for a bit - on a normal day they really wouldn’t be that significant and each of them is quite short. You have one on Connolly road by Tory Top Park and then a bit of a drag before you turn onto Pouladuff road which is downhill. After the Lough you start on a drag again upto Magazing road and then a nice down Orchard Road and then you have a fairly decent drag up Farranlea road which is at 21 miles. After that is a nice downhill and then completely flat. Are you from Cork? Maybe include them towards the end of your long runs if you are. Good to practice them on tired legs.

I did Cork as my first marathon last year. It’s a lovely one to start with.

Thanks for detailed reply and encouragement, I'm based in dublin but where I live is at peak of a hill so my training runs will always finish with an uphill section so hoping it will put me in good stead. I will be down in cork in April so will check out that section then.

Advertisement