Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2018 - 3rd June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for detailed reply and encouragement, I'm based in dublin but where I live is at peak of a hill so my training runs will always finish with an uphill section so hoping it will put me in good stead. I will be down in cork in April so will check out that section then.

That sounds good. Your hm time is excellent anyway so just need to work on endurance and I think for Cork especially not burning yourself out before you get to the hills - which as I said would be barely noticeable on a normal day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

In for the half for this! First time running the event so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

diego_b wrote: »
    In for the half for this! First time running the event so looking forward to it.

Finally doing the full, hopefully.

73 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

aquinn wrote: »

73 days.

Good stuff!! Keep up the progress!

aquinn wrote: »

73 days.

How’s the training going? I ran a lot of the second half of the route again on my long run yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

I'll decide on this after Mallow on Sunday. Wasn't planning on it but have built a base up recently so a shame to let it go to waste. 10 weeks to sharpen up. Did it in 2015 in the lashing rain and enjoyed it. Must do a recon of the 2nd half as it was changed last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I've just been reading that the full+relay will be starting at 8.30 and the half at 10.15 - to facilitate another event on the streets of Cork later that day. I think the earlier the better at this time of year due to the potential for it to be very warm.

I've just been reading that the full+relay will be starting at 8.30 and the half at 10.15 - to facilitate another event on the streets of Cork later that day. I think the earlier the better at this time of year due to the potential for it to be very warm.

That’s definitely a good thing. Praying Summer doesn’t kick in until the afternoon of June 3rd. A few celebratory beers outside would be lovely. All going well so I’ll be finished at 12:40 :-)

Talking to a fella this eveninh who knows a fella who knows another fella and talks that the route is changing again this year and returning to the old?? One going out to Ballincollig way and back in. Bit frustrating that no clarity on this yet.

noelearly wrote: »
    Talking to a fella this eveninh who knows a fella who knows another fella and talks that the route is changing again this year and returning to the old?? One going out to Ballincollig way and back in. Bit frustrating that no clarity on this yet.

Maybe they’ll take out Farranlea road! Though I think they’ll still need to avoid churches. Be interesting to see what they do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haven’t entered yet but probably doing relay with a few others (obviously). Looking forward to it - love the race, where I managed my first sub 3:30 in 2015.

This one?

bgeccm-map-09-course-map.jpg

That seems a bit strange to me - it takes out all the parts along the Mahon Estuary and the old railway line, which are some of the nicest parts of the course (imo) and puts back in the hill after Inchigaggin lane on the Model Farm Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Did my first marathon in cork about 8yrs ago this yr will be my second. Looking fwd to it but having awful trouble finding somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Did my first marathon in cork about 8yrs ago this yr will be my second. Looking fwd to it but having awful trouble finding somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay.

Have you tried the B&Bs on Western Road or somewhere like East Village in Douglas - though that can be noisy with the pub underneath.

Air BnB?

This one?

That seems a bit strange to me - it takes out all the parts along the Mahon Estuary and the old railway line, which are some of the nicest parts of the course (imo) and puts back in the hill after Inchigaggin lane on the Model Farm Road.

Can’t see the point of that as surely it’s better to close as few roads as possible. I thought the course worked last year. I didn’t see many complaints about it anyway. I agree with you in that i’d hate to see the Blackrock loop taken out of it.

This one?

I'm not sure to be honest, could just be a rumour. Might have something to do with the other event planned ?? What that event is i.don't know sorry.

noelearly wrote:
    I'm not sure to be honest, could just be a rumour. Might have something to do with the other event planned ?? What that event is i.don't know sorry.

It says on the website that it's the Eucharistic Procession. I don't know a whole lot about it myself but I think it takes place in the city centre. I think the time change is great and even that it should have gone back to 8am. I'm hoping your friends friends friend has it slightly wrong and that if the course is changing that its changing back to the 2016 route. I also read the match in Pairc Ui Caoimh is being played on Saturday evening to facilitate the marathon. There seems to be a lot of moving things around to faciltate everyone just so the race can be held on a Sunday (including course changes). I'm beginning to wonder is it worth it for a race of its size.

They seem fairly confident on the website that it’s following last year’s route. It’s been updated recently too so not old info. http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/the-marathon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

There is no change to the Marathon route this year. Half-mar start (~first two miles) is due to change - not yet finalised.

Condo131 wrote:
    There is no change to the Marathon route this year. Half-mar start (~first two miles) is due to change - not yet finalised.

Any clues? Will the Atlantic pond be going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Any clues? Will the Atlantic pond be going?
    That's the intention. Going around the new Pairc Ui Caoimh plaze instead. Better surface & less twists & turns.

Condo131 wrote: »
    That's the intention. Going around the new Pairc Ui Caoimh plaze instead. Better surface & less twists & turns.

Sounds great - there's a fine surface there now. The path around the Atlantic Pond is in bits lately too. I went flying there in 2016 after tripping on a uneven bit of the path (wasn't looking to be honest) and it's in worse state now. But also it's quite narrow and can be crowded early on to. It'll be nice to show off the new Pairc as well.

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Good to hear as I've just entered the half to run with a friend. Last time I did this with him was for the great 14m half marathon of '16 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Just signed up for the Half, Looking to improve on my half marathon time but not sure it is the right course to do it. Did my PB last year in charleville. But coming off a training block for rotterdam marathon, I feel i am fitter so just need to do more speed work leading up to the half.

boydkev wrote: »
    Just signed up for the Half, Looking to improve on my half marathon time but not sure it is the right course to do it. Did my PB last year in charleville. But coming off a training block for rotterdam marathon, I feel i am fitter so just need to do more speed work leading up to the half.

How was Rotterdam?

If the weather obliges and not too hot or windy then you might do it no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harry_bealy

If anyone needs, or knows of anyone that needs a race number (marathon), I can oblige.
    Race organisers have confirmed that they can arrange a transfer to another name.
    I have a calf injury which just isn't holding up and have paused training. Wont make Cork this time around.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If anyone needs, or knows of anyone that needs a race number (marathon), I can oblige.
    Race organisers have confirmed that they can arrange a transfer to another name.
    I have a calf injury which just isn't holding up and have paused training. Wont make Cork this time around.

:(

Get it deferred. The organizer was amazing for me and did just this so defer until ready.

Sorry about the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

boydkev wrote: »

One thing to bear in mind is that Charleville is one of the flattest half marathons in the country. Still possible to do a PB in Cork but the course isn't as fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Took the plunge and registered this morning. London was a bit of a burnout (literally) so we'll have another go on home soil before the summer holidays :)

Advertisement