Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2018 - 3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Can't find a closing date for entries for this- does anybody know?

Also thinking of putting my wasted London training to use, but recovery has been slow so far, want to leave it until I get a better sense of how the body is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

sideswipe wrote: »
    Can't find a closing date for entries for this- does anybody know?

Also thinking of putting my wasted London training to use, but recovery has been slow so far, want to leave it until I get a better sense of how the body is!

Recovery has been very slow after London here, but I'm sure I'll be grand in time. Taking it very easy again this week to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Recovery has been very slow after London here, but I'm sure I'll be grand in time. Taking it very easy again this week to be sure.

Pretty sure it's the 11th of May closing date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Thinking of doing same re London blow out.

Decent course?

Djoucer wrote: »
    Thinking of doing same re London blow out.

Decent course?

A while since I ran it, but decent profile not too dissimilar to Dublin (a little less hilly?).
    Weather is the variable again- t'was hot one of the years I ran it but the start time is 08:30am which helps.
    Going to email organisers re reg deadline- will post response.

Edit: 11th of May it is!

Interesting comparison between Dublin & Cork marathons. It's comparing old courses but still interesting as both have relatively small changes.

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    A while since I ran it, but decent profile not too dissimilar to Dublin (a little less hilly?).
    Weather is the variable again- t'was hot one of the years I ran it but the start time is 08:30am which helps.
    Going to email organisers re reg deadline- will post response.

Edit: 11th of May it is!

Interesting comparison between Dublin & Cork marathons. It's comparing old courses but still interesting as both have relatively small changes.

I did the most of the second half of cork as a training run recently. It's mainly just short sharp pulls from 18 to 20 ish. I wouldn't call them killers by any means it's just where they are. After this it has a very fast section to the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

noelearly wrote:
    I did the most of the second half of cork as a training run recently. It's mainly just short sharp pulls from 18 to 20 ish. I wouldn't call them killers by any means it's just where they are. After this it has a very fast section to the finish line.

There's a long drag up the South Link as well which I always forget about. I'd agree it's more the location of the pulls than the size of them. The weather can be a bigger issue in Cork - either hot and humid or rain and wind. I still prefer the pre 2018 course, although I'd a bad time last year which is colouring my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Signed up for the Half, really looking forward to it. Hope the weather plays ball that weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

So where will the action be afterwards? Our relay team has committed to staying the night and will be up for a pint or two, I’d imagine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The Sextant seemed to be a popular post-race watering hole for previous races, pretty sure they gave a free drink if you produced a medal one year & had a bbq going out back.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    The Sextant seemed to be a popular post-race watering hole for previous races, pretty sure they gave a free drink if you produced a medal one year & had a bbq going out back.

I'm not sure about the drink, but there was definitely a free burger in the Sextant. The Old Oak always give out vouchers for a free pint and it's close to the finish line, so pop into the Oak for a pint on your way over to City Hall to pick up your bag and then across the road to the Sextant for a free burger!

I'm not sure about the drink, but there was definitely a free burger in the Sextant. The Old Oak always give out vouchers for a free pint and it's close to the finish line, so pop into the Oak for a pint on your way over to City Hall to pick up your bag and then across the road to the Sextant for a free burger!

Had the free burger in 2015. In 2016 the Sextant kept me awake all night the night before with their sound system (was staying in hotel opposite) and I haven’t been a fan since. No burger that year to make up for the disturbance! Good beer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Murph_D wrote: »
    So where will the action be afterwards? Our relay team has committed to staying the night and will be up for a pint or two, I’d imagine. ;)
    The Long Valley is very close to the finish. Hard to knock. Couple a pints and one of their legendary sandwiches and you'd nearly be ready for a cool down jog ;)

Itziger wrote: »
    The Long Valley is very close to the finish. Hard to knock. Couple a pints and one of their legendary sandwiches and you'd nearly be ready for a cool down jog ;)

We could always do a cool down/pub crawl/beer mile job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Having it on the Sunday is a lot more civilised for a celebratory beverage or two afterwards for sure. I'm running the half with a friend so must ask he's on for a beer or two afterwards.

Hadn't realised it's less than a month away as have Limerick & the Burren marathons between now & then so only think a week or two ahead :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a group from our club heading down. We are staying Saturday and Sunday night.

I don't really know Cork but there is talk of the rising Sun micro brewery and/or Franciscan well after the race.

I'm leaning more towards running the half as a session rather than an All out effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Last day to register is today - has everybody signed up?

Dc6La7UWAAEn3M1.jpg:large

Who T.F. uses paper these days?? You'd need an envelope and a stamp........ Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Who T.F. uses paper these days?? You'd need an envelope and a stamp........ Crazy.

all the good races do :)

• Advertisement

I'd actually love to know the figures. Can't even be double figures surely??

noelearly wrote: »
    I'd actually love to know the figures. Can't even be double figures surely??

I don’t believe it’s anywhere near as many as they are depicting. Who would be bothered?

I've only been running 10 years but I'm trying to remember if I ever used paper forms. On reflection I can confirm that's a negative. I did win a towel once for coming second in Age category in a small German race and they asked if I could leave an address and they'd post it on as they'd forgotten to bring the box!! I said that it was ok........ :(

Hope it wasn't a really nice towel.

I’ve used paper entries for Cork, Donadea, Ballycotton. The latter for guaranteed club entry (and it was a lot easier than the notorious online process), Cork for student discount, Donadea because Anto doesn’t have the internet. No hardship really. Retro chic.

Last 20 miler done today. Most enjoyable part was actually the Ballyphehane part of the route which I normally hate. Hope I feel the same on the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Kellygirl wrote:
    Last 20 miler done today. Most enjoyable part was actually the Ballyphehane part of the route which I normally hate. Hope I feel the same on the day!!

I did my 20 on Saturday. I was so happy to have it done. As I said to my running partner, everything else is just a bonus after it!

Good luck everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm out for the full so switched to the half.

Sick for the last 3 weeks and so have lost too many miles.

It's the right decision and I'm happy with it.

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Did anybody do the half marathon in rosscarbery yesterday? If so what did ye think of it? It was my first time doing it and it was pretty epic but what about those hills??!

Puibo wrote: »
    Did anybody do the half marathon in rosscarbery yesterday? If so what did ye think of it? It was my first time doing it and it was pretty epic but what about those hills??!

No - was wondering what it would be like alright? Very hilly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Puibo wrote: »

It was a great course and really scenic. Some very challenging hills but I loved it! One of the best organised half marathons I've been to

Advertisement