Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2018 - 3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Kellygirl wrote:
    No - was wondering what it would be like alright? Very hilly??

I'd definitely recommend it for next year. It's not one for making pbs on or anything. Yeah there was nice few hills. I ended up walking up a couple. The sand was quite difficult to run in too!

Overall though I could think of worse ways to spend a morning. It's a nice distance 2 weeks out from the marathon to start tapering with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

Hi all, quick question. Is there any gym/leisure clubs close to the finish line that have a pay as you go option to use shower facilities after the marathon?

I do this most years in Dublin, there is a flyefit close to the finish for a shower and change afterwards which is used by a lot of people through pay as you go for €10.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

Looking forward to the marathon now, will be my second one this year, hoping my manchester marathon training will still be in my legs. may has been a busy month so not great mileage, got one 20 miler, and did 17 on monday night..
    similarly to manchester i have had no races in between, just didnt get a chance

good luck to all, i know it is too early to predict, but the weather looks to be good for next week so far...could be another hot one. although manchester was perfect weather condition, cool and cloudy..

aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Alberto17 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question. Is there any gym/leisure clubs close to the finish line that have a pay as you go option to use shower facilities after the marathon?

I do this most years in Dublin, there is a flyefit close to the finish for a shower and change afterwards which is used by a lot of people through pay as you go for €10.

I don’t know of any to be honest but never looked before either.
    amcgee wrote: »
    Hi

Looking forward to the marathon now, will be my second one this year, hoping my manchester marathon training will still be in my legs. may has been a busy month so not great mileage, got one 20 miler, and did 17 on monday night..
    similarly to manchester i have had no races in between, just didnt get a chance

good luck to all, i know it is too early to predict, but the weather looks to be good for next week so far...could be another hot one. although manchester was perfect weather condition, cool and cloudy..

aidan

Just did 4 miles this morn and it’s warm out there. Hope it’s cooler on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

If you see anyone wearing a t-shirt for the Sanctuary Runners on the day please give them a cheer! The running group I'm with has been doing a bit of training with them over the last few weeks & it will be a struggle for some of them as they've only started the running lark recently.

451471.jpg
    451470.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Try giving the hotels with gyms like the Clayton, Metropole a ring and ask. Hotels will never turn down money!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Anyone race the John Buckley 5k last night?

High caliber field on show. I was bollocked after it!! :)

Saw the article on The Sanctuary Runners in The Examiner. Fair play to all involved. Will definitely give them a cheer.

Didn’t make the John Buckley race last night. Would have loved to.

Anyone race the John Buckley 5k last night?

High caliber field on show. I was bollocked after it!! :)

Didn't go all out but managed my best 5k time of the year by a whole 4 seconds :) I liked the addition of the half-way split they had this year & was a bonus to get to take a stroll on the hallowed ground of Pairc Ui Chaoimh afterwards.

Here are the medals. Wonder what the t-shirts are like this year? Do they ever show them beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

This could be an option..
    http://www.f4l.com/cork/guest-pass
    Gym near college of commerce in the city centre, not sure of their Sunday opening hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

This could be an option..
    http://www.f4l.com/cork/guest-pass
    Gym near college of commerce in the city centre, not sure of their Sunday opening hours though.

Brilliant, thanks for suggestions!

Virtual tour of the route published by de paper :)

You can now run the Cork City marathon in eight minutes

Definitely almost time, spotted the mile marker painted in the Mardyke when I was out for a jog earlier. Will be a welcome sight next Sunday!

451815.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Can someone please refresh my memory. I only remember the drag up the Jack Lynch tunnel and Mahon. But are there any more? Did someone say the last 6 miles are a gradual decline? I've ran it a couple of times but I'm not very familiar with Cork.

fennor72 wrote: »
    Can someone please refresh my memory. I only remember the drag up the Jack Lynch tunnel and Mahon. But are there any more? Did someone say the last 6 miles are a gradual decline? I've ran it a couple of times but I'm not very familiar with Cork.

There’s a sort sharp hill upto Turners X off the link just at the mile 17 marker. Mile 19 has a hill on Connolly rd and a small drag after the Lough. Then there’s a nice downhill on Magazine rd and Orchard road for mile 21 and then Farranlea Rd is a hill (drag, steeper part, drag and one last pull onto idle Far, Road which is mile 22.

After that it’s down and flat and e tiredly flat mile 23-26.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Kellygirl wrote: »
    fennor72 wrote: »

There’s a sort sharp hill upto Turners X off the link just at the mile 17 marker. Mile 19 has a hill on Connolly rd and a small drag after the Lough. Then there’s a nice downhill on Magazine rd and Orchard road for mile 21 and then Farranlea Rd is a hill (drag, steeper part, drag and one last pull onto  idle Far, Road which is mile 22.

After that it’s down and flat and e tiredly flat mile 23-26.

Hope that helps.
    I think we can agree that the Ballyphehane climb and the Farranlea Rd. climb are the most challenging for where they come in the race. They are more drags than climbs but if you're racing it you'll feel both! Even though th drag from the tunnel up to Mahon is tough enough, you should still be fresh at this stage. One thing I will add, that I learned last year. If you can focus and work the kms from 28 or so to 34, then you have the psychological benefit of the downhill on Inchagaggin Lane and the fact that you're turning for home. Good chance of breeze at your back too for the last 6k. 
    So, my advice would be to remind yourself that, yes these kms are hard - Farranlea nearly did for me - but that it's going to get 'easier' soon. Take a few deep breaths and relax the shoulders and arms on the Lane and then refocus when you hit the Straight Rd.
    Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Be prepared for some head winds down by blackrock castle (weather depending of course), from mile 11-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Itziger wrote:
    I think we can agree that the Ballyphehane climb and the Farranlea Rd. climb are the most challenging for where they come in the race. They are more drags than climbs but if you're racing it you'll feel both! Even though th drag from the tunnel up to Mahon is tough enough, you should still be fresh at this stage. One thing I will add, that I learned last year. If you can focus and work the kms from 28 or so to 34, then you have the psychological benefit of the downhill on Inchagaggin Lane and the fact that you're turning for home. Good chance of breeze at your back too for the last 6k. So, my advice would be to remind yourself that, yes these kms are hard - Farranlea nearly did for me - but that it's going to get 'easier' soon. Take a few deep breaths and relax the shoulders and arms on the Lane and then refocus when you hit the Straight Rd. Good luck to all.

Great advice! Very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

What's the half marathon course like hills wise?

If this weather keeps up it should be interesting!!!

• Advertisement

What's the half marathon course like hills wise?

If this weather keeps up it should be interesting!!!

Exact same info as above in my post. Half marathon covers the 2nd half of the marathon course.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HankSchrader

Exact same info as above in my post. Half marathon covers the 2nd half of the marathon course.

Ok wasn't sure what way they were doing it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Mile 14 on the old railway line is in what seems to be a GPS Bermuda Triangle....i run this section a lot and you cannot trust the reading on your watch here so be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

spc78 wrote:
    Mile 14 on the old railway line is in what seems to be a GPS Bermuda Triangle....i run this section a lot and you cannot trust the reading on your watch here so be careful!

Especially when you come off the footbridge. The trees play havoc with the signal.

spc78 wrote: »

The tunnel screws things up a little too!

Anyone know what the story is with tracking of participants? It’s showing up on the RTRT.me app but no mention on the main website. There never has been tracking before I don’t think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Please tell me that the weather app can't be trusted and it'll be at least 10 degrees cooler?

aquinn wrote: »
    Please tell me that the weather app can't be trusted and it'll be at least 10 degrees cooler?

I’ve a few on the go. Metcheck still saying 14 degrees. Windfinder is gone up to 18 by 10am. Praying it will go back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I’ve a few on the go. Metcheck still saying 14 degrees. Windfinder is gone up to 18 by 10am. Praying it will go back down.

I'm getting 20!

Ok, positive happy thoughts. It'll be great. Loads of dialorite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

It's gonna be a scorcher by the looks of things.

Advertisement