Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2018 - 3rd June

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Username | Distance | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    thomas Anderson| Marathon| 2:56:25| GIN|
    boydkev| Half| 1:33:52| 1:35:00|
    KellyGirl| Marathon| 4:20:05| 4:09:59|
    deisedude| Half| 1:35:00| 1:38:00|
    smurfsturf| Half| 1:46:52| 1:45:00|
    amcgee| Marathon| 3:24| 3:29:59|
    chavezychavez| Marathon| 2:57:31| 3:44:30|
    Djemba Djemba|Half|1.21.00|1.19.59|1.23.34
    Adrian522|Half|1:32:xx|1:50.00
    diego_b|Half|1:40:23|1:42.00
    DNS Harriers|Marathon|N/a|2:56:59|3:02:30

Thanks to all the volunteers from Saturday at the expo through to Sunday. The water jump within the first 500 metres of the half would have been interesting but in the space of 15/20 minutes before the race they fixed the leak so much so most wouldn't have noticed anything.

A fair result for me. Tried to keep something extra for the straight road in but had nothing extra to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

KellyGirl| Marathon| 4:20:05| 4:09:59|4:27:51
    smurfsturf| Half| 1:46:52| 1:45:00|

Quite a bit behind where I hoped to be. Started with the 4:15 pacers but pulled back from mile 16. My head was messing with me a bit and I was worried about the heat. I thought I might pick it up and finish fast but got an awful stitch just as I turned onto the straight road and had to walk most of that so that was beating my pb gone out the window.

Editing to add I did get a course pb of 22 mins so that’s a positive at least.

The support and volunteers were amazing. I’m glad the tracker was brought in this year and even though I said I didn’t like the t-shirt it wasn’t so bad when I put it on after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »
    Impressive start from Eau Rouge. Fingers crossed for him..........

Take a bow sir. That is one impressive run right there, even if you did have Terrier handing you cooling towels down the straight road ;) 
    2.26.5x?? Berlin won't know what hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Seriously tough day for me yesterday. Knew going in I was a bit tired, but said I'd keep ti to around 7.10 a mile. A really long wee early on threw me too. Ages it was!

Just before the half way point, a dramatic portaloo stop was required. This occurred again around mile 15, and I put it down to the gels. Felt horrible, so I just discarded the sachets of poison and had no more issues after that. However, running without gels wasn't really on my cards so I did have to slow down a good bit for the last few miles. Got home with the 3.15 pacers, they caught up with me and I decided to take it home with them. I don't really feel like I gained anything by doing it though, it almost took as much out of me as a race.

Well done everyone! Seriously tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well done to all and especially those who paced and did the full.

I am loving Cork. I haven't been in years but from the hotel staff embracing the marathon as they had packs for us and maps to the start. To those who volunteered at the expo and on the day I am really impressed and grateful.

The small water bottles were brilliant and so frequent. The sponges were like magic, amazing. To the locals who set up stands with water, jellies, water hoses. You were all brilliant.

I had a super day. I'm really delighted. Lovely and steady run from me. First half since ACL rupture in 2016 when I was originally due to run the full.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Well done to all and especially those who paced and did the full.

I am loving Cork. I haven't been in years but from the hotel staff embracing the marathon as they had packs for us and maps to the start. To those who volunteered at the expo and on the day I am really impressed and grateful.

The small water bottles were brilliant and so frequent. The sponges were like magic, amazing. To the locals who set up stands with water, jellies, water hoses. You were all brilliant.

I had a super day. I'm really delighted. Lovely and steady run from me. First half since ACL rupture in 2016 when I was originally due to run the full.

Really impressed at how steady your pacing is! Well done. I know - the water stops were brilliant. I was never finished my previous bottle when I got to the next station so I’d empty it over my head and take a new one. The sponges were fab. If I remember correctly they only ever had them on the marina and I couldn’t wait for them yesterday. I was so thrilled when I saw another lot of them by the Lough. It was an amazing feeling. I was like a drowned rat when I finished and first time my hair wasn’t a salty mess it got so much water poured over it on the way round :D

What hotel provided all that? Fair play to them. Though I stayed in The Sandymount for DCM last year and found them fantastic too and they even dropped us into the start. Great customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Really impressed at how steady your pacing is! Well done. I know - the water stops were brilliant. I was never finished my previous bottle when I got to the next station so I’d empty it over my head and take a new one. The sponges were fab. If I remember correctly they only ever had them on the marina and I couldn’t wait for them yesterday. I was so thrilled when I saw another lot of them by the Lough. It was an amazing feeling. I was like a drowned rat when I finished and first time my hair wasn’t a salty mess it got so much water poured over it on the way round :D

What hotel provided all that? Fair play to them. Though I stayed in The Sandymount for DCM last year and found them fantastic too and they even dropped us into the start. Great customer service.

Thank you. No wonder the last two miles were tough as they were the fastest!

How are you feeling today?

We were in the Metropole, really lovely hotel and staff. A very busy road though and we only found the earplugs this morning.

They had little packs for those taking part and water on offer at all times. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

Ditto, congrats to all.

It was a great day for running, but a missed opportunity for me. I just couldn't find my running legs and felt like I was carrying a camel on my back which was a real struggle. I guess I was expecting too much following my pb in Newry last week.

Two resolutions... no more chasing pb's and no more predictions (it's jinxing me :))

smurfsturf| Half| 1:46:52| 1:45:00|2:04:42

aquinn wrote: »
    Thank you. No wonder the last two miles were tough as they were the fastest!

How are you feeling today?

We were in the Metropole, really lovely hotel and staff. A very busy road though and we only found the earplugs this morning.

They had little packs for those taking part and water on offer at all times. Very impressed.

Ah, I was wondering was it the Metropole. The sale manager in there is fantastic and also taking part yesterday.
    smurfsturf wrote: »

Two resolutions... no more chasing pb's and no more predictions (it's jinxing me :))

I think you may be onto something there. I’ve gotten it very wrong the last two races now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good race.
    Nothing to do with the organisers, but two things that really disappointed me was the amount of corner cutting and launching of plastic bottles into bushes, ditches and over fences onto railway tracks.
    Cheating & littering. Very poor form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good race.
    Nothing to do with the organisers, but two things that really disappointed me was the amount of corner cutting and launching of plastic bottles into bushes, ditches and over fences onto railway tracks.
    Cheating & littering. Very poor form.
    Look who the cat dragged in. How did ya do?

I agree on both the corner cutting and the littering by the way. If you want to see hilarious cc'ing though you should come with me and we'll jog the Lux one some year. Fellas have put 50 metres into me by hopping up on a footpath when the road goes straight on for a bit before you get to a bend...... I wouldn't mind but most of the lazy fookers are only doing a few miles of a relay anyway :)
    Sorry for hijacking Kelly. Good run (though I think you should tell the voices in your head to get lost when they scream 'slow down'. I've done it on a few occasions using slightly stronger language.)

Itziger wrote: »
    Look who the cat dragged in. How did ya do?

I agree on both the corner cutting and the littering by the way. If you want to see hilarious cc'ing though you should come with me and we'll jog the Lux one some year. Fellas have put 50 metres into me by hopping up on a footpath when the road goes straight on for a bit before you get to a bend...... I wouldn't mind but most of the lazy fookers are only doing a few miles of a relay anyway :)
    Sorry for hijacking Kelly. Good run (though I think you should tell the voices in your head to get lost when they scream 'slow down'. I've done it on a few occasions using slightly stronger language.)

18 minute positive split :O
    Don't know if they've invented a word to describe pain like that yet. Might throw up some musings later this evening.

Silliest thing about the corner cutters was they jumped up on foot high pavements to take a couple of metres off the corners, then hugged the outside of the bend all the way through the Jack Lynch tunnel. Brainless!

I was disgusted at where I saw bottles end up especially in places like the line in to the Marina. Bottles fired into the bushes and nettles. Absolutely no need for it. Also the amount of people who just drop in the middle of street. We kept shouting at people behind us to watch the bottles as soceasy to pick up a bad ankle injury standing on one.

I need to sort the voices in my head alright!!! I think they were a bit too disruptive :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

deisedude| Half| 1:35:00| 1:38:00| 1:38:25

On the day with the heat decided to go with the 1:40 pacers. Small bit off the target time but happy with the result all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

thomas Anderson| Marathon| 2:56:25| GIN|2:58:05
    boydkev| Half| 1:33:52| 1:35:00| 1:31:19

Some Actual times vanished off table

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Well done everybody! Seems to be the same story with me as everybody else, the weather! I stuck the 4 hour pace for 13 miles and gradually slowed as the race progressed.

Still I beat my last time by 3 mins!! Learning all the time.

I hope everyone is well on the way to recovery and thinking of the next race!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Adrian522|Half|1:32:xx|1:50.00|1:50:14

I went out with the intention of treating like a training run. I ended going out at more of a steady pace. My leg was giving trouble from early on but by thew second half I was really struggling despite only running what should be easy pace.

In the end I was just glad to finish it, tough day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My first half marathon in 6 years and 6 years ago it was in basketball shorts, a casio watch and I was 2 stone heavier so I don't wana count it really.

I aimed to stay under 4:15 per km throughout and was well ahead of schedule until the Carrigrohane Straight. The opening 2 miles and round Pairc Ui Chaomh was a lovely addition.

The merge into the full marathon felt smooth as I was a little ahead of the mass pack but the relay changover at the end of the centre parks road was a real bottle neck. The water stops were excellent, I kept the 90 min paces in my sights the whole way through. Some great music playing at the Lough and other spots.

The people of Cork make this, people just outside their homes cheering you on, clapping, setting up their own water stations, jellies everywhere. Kids hi-fiving.

Pace dropped on the 16K mark to 4:30 and I just couldn't get back to form, there was a slight breeze and the twists and turns in wooded area after the skate park just sapped me. North main straight never felt so long (bloody cobbles). Crossed the line at a tad over the 1:30 mark. Very happy!

Got an email today saying I can get my race photos for €25? Ha! Good Luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I'm surprised that the council didn't cut the grass verge down the old railway line. Would look alot tidier and easier to collect rubbish afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

adrian522 wrote: »
    amcgee| Marathon| 3:24| 3:29:59|3:43:36

a tough day, 3:29 was never on the cards after the jack lynch tunnel, blew up at mile 18 and got across the line happy at 3:43:36.

not the worst time i could have got on the day, at mile 17 i though i wasnt going to finish.

well done all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

pac_man wrote: »
    That pacer must have finished a good bit under the 1.40 mark?

He did, I fell off him at mile 11 so I'd say he finished at 1:38!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

It's a case of being prepared and adjusting to conditions - feel people are too quick to find excuses, not often the "perfect" marathon day comes along and syncs up with your race.
    It was warm and humid but hardly scorching. We had 2/3 weeks of similar weather in the build up to adjust a bit. The easterly breeze was actually refreshing all the way out to the tunnel. Took the approach of pouring bottle of water all over me early and often, had a small electrolyte drink with me from the start which I made last till half way or so, then got a bit of lucozade sport near the end.  Crept in under the goal time, wrecked but delighted.

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    It's a case of being prepared and adjusting to conditions - feel people are too quick to find excuses, not often the "perfect" marathon day comes along and syncs up with your race.
    It was warm and humid but hardly scorching. We had 2/3 weeks of similar weather in the build up to adjust a bit. The easterly breeze was actually refreshing all the way out to the tunnel. Took the approach of pouring bottle of water all over me early and often, had a small electrolyte drink with me from the start which I made last till half way or so, then got a bit of lucozade sport near the end.  Crept in under the goal time, wrecked but delighted.

I think I'm in the minority, but I completely agree with you. I thought conditions were pretty favourable, especially for a race on the June bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

You could be right but some perform better then others in the humidity. I ran Manchester in April in perfect marathon conditions for me. Cool and cloudy and ran 3:26, . I ran 3:29 last year in cork but blew up at mile 17 on Sunday. Wasn't totally down to the weather but it certainly didn't help. The only other time I blew up as bad was cork on another hot day. I think I better do some hot weather training
    I was expecting the long mile road to be a war zone but it wasn't, but most around me were half.

Well done to you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

swings and roundabouts really. 3 years ago I ran the Cork marathon in wet and windy conditions and it was what I would call a perfect run. Got in under the 3 hour mark with a good group all working together.

The conditions this year for me personally would have made the full a far from the perfect marathon. Having 2/3 weeks of the same weather before the event isn't enough to condition the runners, especially when you consider we had heavy snow and freezing conditions during what would have been the peak training period in advance of the Cork marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

amcgee| Marathon| 3:24| 3:29:59|3:43:36
    diego_b|Half|1:40:23|1:42.00|1:44.29

Started off just ahead of the 1:40 pacers, who went past me near Pairc Ui Chaoimh and accelerated on. I kept at the 7:36min/mi I was planning for the next few miles with hoping to keep them in sight but they moved away pretty steadily. By 4-5 miles they were a good bit up the road ahead of me and I was really feeling the heat/effort a lot at that stage already. Last time I raced in this sort of weather I ended up badly blistered and couldn't walk properly for around a week so between that and the effort trying to hold my planned pace (was slowing already) I had a chat with myself what was I trying to do here as the sub 1:40 was not on and neither the pb. So I eased back to closer to 8min/mi and held that pace, start of the last mile the 1:45s were coming up behind me so pushed on a bit to get a 7:38 final mile to finish in 1:44.29.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

First time doing CCM, have to agree with guys above while it was humid I thought we were spared the hottest part of the day and there was a nice cool breeze throughout.
    Having run sub 3 twice last year I came in confident again of repeating the feat but struggled badly from 16 miles and came home in 3.07. The route I thought was very fair for the most part, however, there certainly are some challenging hills in the 17-22 mile section that appear worse on weary legs.
    There was a good buzz around the city to be fair and compared to Dublin it was much less congested at the start..Water stations were good and plentiful, however I did find some sections very quiet from a support perspective..
    All in all a good experience, hopefully now will turn those marathon miles into some fast 5/10k times during the summer!

Advertisement