Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportsworld Terenure 5 Mile - 13th May 2018

• 15-02-2018 2:30pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last Years Thread

Website
    Entry

The Terenure 5 mile will take place this year on Sunday 13th May at 11am.

Formerly known as the “Dublin 5 Mile Classic”, 2018 will be the races 34th year.

The fast 2 lap course starts from Terenure College, Dublin 6w.

The race is run by the local Sportsworld Running Club. Check out previous threads for reviews of the race.

2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010.

The entry fee is still €20 (+€1.40 admin fee)
    • Free Technical Race T-Shirt
    • Free Professional Race Photo’s on Internet after race
    • Free Post Race Refreshments
    • Race Number with Chip Timing
    • Race Pacers for 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 minutes
    • Numerous Spot Prizes
    • One of the flattest course around
    • Athletics Association Ireland (AAI) Certified race
    • Ideal Mini Marathon Preparation
    • Cash and Spot prizes

Course:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Did this last year. A nice route and lots of support along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Had a look at previous threads on this race. Seems to be a lot of positive vibes about it I think I'll enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

I've done this race. It is flat and fast. Definitely a good contender for fastest 5 mile course in and around Dublin. Would be handy if you were training for the mini marathon in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a good race all right. One 90 degree turn near the start, but apart from that there's plenty of room, not a lot of corners. Very flat overall, no hills at all, although the worst drag is the last 800m to the finish line. Loads of food and other freebies afterwards, and pacers for a lot of time goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It's a fantastic race - easily one of the best I've done (granted: I've not done many!). Gutted to be missing it this year but I have to be away that weekend.
    Personally I would have said the Raheny course was faster though, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

I think there are more hills in Raheny, and also they have that hairpin in the park (which is the only drawback) that brings you to a near stop. The depth of field in Raheny probably serves to pull people along a lot.

eyrie wrote: »
    Personally I would have said the Raheny course was faster though, no?

About the same I think. No real climbs in either (now that Raheny goes through the park), and there is less cornering in Terenure - so maybe slightly faster, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

True, I forgot about the hairpin in St Anne's Park.
    Well now I'm even more sorry I'll be missing Terenure :p

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

RayCun wrote: »
    Loads of food, freebies and pacers
    wat time is diggger doin

wat time is diggger doin

maybe they'll have a separate start for buggy-pushers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I’ve done this the last 2 years and will be lining out again. Cracker of a race, fun samba band at the start/finish, lots of support, lots of freebies and food, fast route.

The t-shirt is looking good this year as well.

I don't think there's much parking in the area but where would you recommend parking?

I don't think there's much parking in the area but where would you recommend parking?

You could park in Rathfarnham shopping centre, a few minutes walk away, though they might not appreciate it.
    Or the carpark of the Carlisle gym, which is a little further away in the other direction, but has plenty of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

RayCun wrote: »
    You could park in Rathfarnham shopping centre, a few minutes walk away, though they might not appreciate it.
    Or the carpark of the Carlisle gym, which is a little further away in the other direction, but has plenty of space.

The Old Orchard pub is just up past the shopping centre and worth trying for parking - still just a 10-minute warm-up jog from the start line and you'll get away quickly afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks to everyone who entered the race. Online entries are now closed. There are a limited number of entries available at registration tomorrow but not on Sunday.

Numbers and T-Shirts can be collected at the Sportsworld clubhouse in Bushy Park between 2pm and 5pm tomorrow and also on Sunday morning from Our Ladies school from 9am.

The race start is 11am sharp. There is no parking available in Our Ladies school or Terenure college. There is a limited amount of on street parking in the area but if you can walk or cycle please do so.

The 11am start should mean you can use public transport but if you plan on driving please aim to arrive early.

Finally, best of luck on the day and feel free to drop me a PM or post here if you have any questions!

http://www.sportsworldrunningclub.com/terenure5/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

FOUND: Key, not on keyring, looks like security key for bike lock or door. Found at start of Terenure 5 Mile - comment or DM me if you think it's yours.

UPDATE: Key and lock/owner now reunited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

That was a great race. My first time. So well marshalled, super turnout and a great day for it too.

Thank you Sportsworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Second year to enter this race. Second year to not make it due to injury. I don't think I'm meant to run this race. From the results it looks like the finish line would have been an exciting place to be watching Peter and Mick coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks for the shout outs today Adrian... next year, could you please arrange more cloud cover :D (seems it's always sunny in Terenure).

Very well organised and great atmosphere as always.

Good race and a nice course. Very well organised, from the social media up dates the past few weeks to everything on the day so kudos to all involved. I didn't go back to the school afterwards but I assume going by everything else on day it was excellent too. I had a nightmare of a race, these things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Great race! Really well organised and marshalled, nice fast course. I really enjoyed it and we had a big turnout from our club.
    Thanks very much, Sportsworld/

ps I actually liked running in the sun after the winter we've had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Great race! Really well organised and marshalled, nice fast course. I really enjoyed it and we had a big turnout from our club.
    Thanks very much, Sportsworld/

ps I actually liked running in the sun after the winter we've had

You forgot to mention the small matter of winning Masters team gold... :D

Advertisement