Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to extricate myself from PW monitoring

Options
  • 15-02-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi.
    Last year, I tried to cancel PW monitoring, but was told I was linked in to a contract, so I waited and just now, I received an email saying my new contract starts in a couple of weeks, and they "really hope you decide to renew your PhoneWatch service."

Doesn't take a lot of reading around this forum to know what to do.

The alarm was installed about 9 or 10 years ago, it's a GE Simon 3, so I assume anyone can monitor it.
    I have the engineers code, but do not know the mobile number of the GSM that was installed with the alarm. Not sure how to find this out....

Can I ask people with knowledge of this process, what else do I need to do, before informing PW to end the contract?

Anyone living in Galway have a suggestion for future monitoring?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Windy_Guy

I found the link to the PSA website on thus forum, thank you for posting.
    I contacted the only service provider listed for this area and they say they can not pick up monitoring of old PW systems, because of the "closed protocol".They would have no way of knowing which sensor is triggering the alarm and also the systems are only wired to call into PW. ??? But I have the engineers code!
    I had thought that the GE Simon 3 alarm could be passed to another provider, does any one have any advice on what to do?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like a good example of someone trying to sell you the system they want to use. The industry is full of this,unfortunately.
    This system can be easily reprogrammed into any monitoring station.
    You don't need to know anything of the sim card. Your new company can provide you with a new GSM communicator and international sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Sounds more like an example of someone who has limited experience of PW panels.
    Where in that post did it say that they suggested something else be installed?

OP, have another trawl of the PSA site and cast your net a little wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Windy_Guy

Strange thing is, I have cast the net wider and no one in the West is interested even to quote the monitoring!
    I had 5 out of 5 RFQs turned down.
    Like as if it's too much trouble dealing with the old Simon 3 system.
    Can't believe it, really! I guess I am stuck with the gougers :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Business must be good down that way that they are happy to turn down monitoring & maintenance contracts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement