Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Lodger wants to open a/c: utility bill Q

Options
  • 15-02-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi
    my lodger, an EU citizen working here, wants ot open an Account in BoI. He needs a utility bill with his name on it. But they are all in my name. Can I give him a utility bill, and a letter from myself stating that he's living at my address instead? (I've had a BoI a/c for last 30 years)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Hi
    my lodger, an EU citizen working here, wants ot open an Account in BoI. He needs a utility bill with his name on it. But they are all in my name. Can I give him a utility bill, and a letter from myself stating that he's living at my address instead? (I've had a BoI a/c for last 30 years)
    Hi JuliusCaesar,

Thanks for posting here on Boards.

If your lodger is working here, he can request a P21 balancing statement, from Revenue to be posted to his address.
    He can use this with his Photo ID and call into the branch to complete an application to open an account.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again.
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi
    Hi JuliusCaesar,

If your lodger is working here, he can request a P21 balancing statement, from Revenue to be posted to his address.
    He can use this with his Photo ID and call into the branch to complete an application to open an account.

Thanks again.
    Jane
    He's a student on an internship... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi
    Hi JuliusCaesar,

Thanks again.
    Jane
    He's a student on an internship... 

Thanks for getting back to us. Is he a student with a college or 3rd level institute within the Republic of Ireland? Because we can accept a registered letter from a 3rd level institute stating that the lodger is a student there. Alternatively if they're earning any wage through their internship they should also be able to order a P21 balancing statement from the revenue as mentioned in the last message.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Hi this is getting more and more a pain. I’ve tried to get through to THREE branches by phone, but it’s impossible. In each I get into call menu hell. As none of the options apply, I get cut off. Woeful customer service.

Regarding the registered letter, do you need the letter itself or the envelope?
    And WHY can’t you accept a letter from me, if you have my signature on file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi this is getting more and more a pain. I’ve tried to get through to THREE branches by phone, but it’s impossible. In each I get into call menu hell. As none of the options apply, I get cut off. Woeful customer service.

Regarding the registered letter, do you need the letter itself or the envelope?
    And WHY can’t you accept a letter from me, if you have my signature on file?
    If I can ask why you're calling I'd be happy to either help you here or get the correct phone number for your query. 

In relation to the registered letter it would need to be the letter itself and the letter would need to include the persons name and address on it. We would also have very strict Anti-Money Laundering and due diligence rules when it comes to opening any accounts with us and this is why we wouldn't be able to accept a letter from you in relation to opening an account. 

Thanks again, 
    Darren. 

• Advertisement

I’m trying to get this sorted out speedily - that’s why I was trying to phone I KNOW about the money laundering rules, which I assume haven’t changed much in the last couple of years.

At this stage, you and the branch are contradicting yourselves. Don't you have a nationwide, never mind Dublin-wide, policy about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

At this stage, you and the branch are contradicting yourselves. Don't you have a nationwide, never mind Dublin-wide, policy about this?

We have centralised account policies in place. Were you advised differently in the branch? If you go to our website, www.bankofireland.com and select the account type, you can view what is required.

Thanks,
    Tara

Advertisement