Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Advice....

Options
  • 15-02-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a new monitor in the next 2 weeks or so, my god its an absolute mind fook at the moment. Every time I think I have the perfect choice something is not great or the review gives it a back hander.

Currently I am gaming (both PC and PS4) on a 24" 1920x1200 60hz monitor and it has served me well but I want to go at least 27" max 34" if the budget allows.

I have a couple of monitors on the short list but I am sure I am missing out on a key element that you guys can shed some light on, my preference is deffo for a fast refresh rate as a priority. So IPS panel with at least 100hz if not 144hz, and minimum res of 2560x1440 HDR would be nice but its very hard to find a 10bit panel with said requirements.

G-Sync is nice but not a deal breaker.

Here is what I am looking at so far

Asus PG279Q (Front Runner)

Acer Pred XB272-HDR
    Acer Pred X34A (might be out of my price range, but listed on scan.co.uk cheaper)
    Asus PG348Q (might be out of my price range)
    LG 34UC89G

Not really gone on a 4K monitor TBH but I will be upgrading my PC in a few months and I mostly game on the PS4 for now so not a problem pushing 4K frame rates.

Any ideas or other monitors to consider? And help really appreciated at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

The only issue with the IPS panels is the glow, seems like a lottery

I went with a PG278QR in the end as less risk and light bleed annoys me

If you get a 1440p, then wont using your console on it be a bad experience where it wont scale correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ultrawides - you'll either love um or hate um and there is a certain amount of messing about with some games unless you're okay with 2560x1440.

4K - you'll struggle with a 1080/1080ti to push FPS high enough to take advantage of higher than 60Hz refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

BArra wrote: »
    The only issue with the IPS panels is the glow, seems like a lottery

I went with a PG278QR in the end as less risk and light bleed annoys me

If you get a 1440p, then wont using your console on it be a bad experience where it wont scale correctly?

I would prefer the lottery of the glow from an IPS panel and get superior colours and contrast then use a VA or TN panel, although the TN panels are not that much worse by all accounts.

Do you recommend a good TN panel over a 10bit IPS panel?

Did not know I would have issues with scaling on a PS4 with the 1440 res TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Have the Asus PG279Q.

four months now, so far no problems.

love it

Ultrawides - you'll either love um or hate um and there is a certain amount of messing about with some games unless you're okay with 2560x1440.

4K - you'll struggle with a 1080/1080ti to push FPS high enough to take advantage of higher than 60Hz refresh.

4K @ 60fps with Gsync would still be a thing of beauty......but as I said I am not sold on the 4K and dont want to pay money for a 4K monitor that I will not get the benefit of.

Jaysus never found it so hard to spend my money on tech lol.

Thanx for replies lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would avoid 4K unless actually need it for productivity stuff, don't bother if just for games. 1440P 144hz is the sweet spot. Maybe at 34" 4K would be a better experience but I swapped my 1440p 144hz for a 4K 60hz 28" and it was a mistake. Other problem is you'd want a GTX1080Ti for 4K ideally for high/ultra, GTX1080 if you're OK with medium settings (which naturally still looks pretty great).

Your PS4 should look fine on it but it will only be 1080p obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

TN:
    Asus PG278QR - 1440p TN 165hz G-Sync
    Dell S2716DG - 1440p TN 144hz G-Sync

IPS:
    Asus PG279Q - 1440p IPS 165hz G-Sync
    Acer XB271HU - 1440p IPS 165hz G-Sync
    AOC Agon - 1440p IPS 165hz G-Sync

Those are some i shortlisted, researched for a few months and weighed up the pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I would prefer the lottery of the glow from an IPS panel and get superior colours and contrast then use a VA or TN panel, although the TN panels are not that much worse by all accounts.

VA has actually got the best colours/contrast out of any of those. It depends on the panel though. VA's weakness is motion, blurryness, low response times and picture burn in, not colour or picture clarity. It excels at those.

IPS is kinda in between VA and TN in terms of balance between picture clarity and motion clarity. TN is superior for gaming though. You can boost the colours through the profile.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

IPS have maybe 5% better colours than a good quality TN panel, trust me i have both side by side and IPS are vastly overrated.

Forget about 4k if you want more than 60hz/fps unless you want to pay huge dollars for the hardware to run it.

Grab a 2560X1440 144hz TN panel and you will wet yourself when you experience 144hz compared to a console.

I recommend the Dell S2716DG fantastic monitor, the acer and asus offerings are a lottery.
    , great if you get a good one but too much of a risk for me.
    Id also recommend the AOC monitors of similar spec.

Seriously....TN panel?!

Jaysus I have dismissed every TN panel purely from the every reviewer saying the colours are too pastel like and not vibrant at all, the Dell S2716DG is not bad but very bland looking. Will have to give it another look and see, this is getting harder by the day.

Have deffo passed on the 4K options, so a 27-32 is what I am looking at. Not sure a 32" screen with 2560x1440 would be great looking all the same.

Again thanx for all the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I also agree it's totally overrated, maybe not as much for stuff that requires incredible color accuracy etc but purely for gaming I have the XB270HU and it's a great monitor.

I also had a 32" HP Omen monitor that was 2560x1440 and it was not great to use, I found it too big and I found myself having to actually scan the screen during gameplay sometimes....and I do have a deep desk. I think 27" 1440P 144hz is definitely the sweet spot.

Seriously....TN panel?!

Jaysus I have dismissed every TN panel purely from the every reviewer saying the colours are too pastel like and not vibrant at all, the Dell S2716DG is not bad but very bland looking. Will have to give it another look and see, this is getting harder by the day.

Have deffo passed on the 4K options, so a 27-32 is what I am looking at. Not sure a 32" screen with 2560x1440 would be great looking all the same.

Again thanx for all the feedback.

Bland looking in what way?

Colours are great performance is exceptional build quality is the best in the business.

It looks like an office monitor, I am not into mad strobe lights and logos flashing all over the place but I like more aggressive looking monitors.

I have no doubt the performance is top notch but it looks are not great. Having said that if it performs aswell as you say it would not be a deal breaker...

Sure whos gonna be looking at it :P I do like aggressive looking gear too it has to be said.

Is there such an animal as a 10-bit TN panel....?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is there such an animal as a 10-bit TN panel....?

Yup.
    https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11955_TN%7E11959_10bit+(1.07+Mrd.+Farben)

Advertisement