Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Wicklow Town

Options
  • 15-02-2018 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Missed this in the paper I think. When is construction due to start on the new store? I assume it'll be closed for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What is happening?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Apparently they're doubling the size and that it was in the Wicklow people a few weeks back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

2013Lara wrote: »
    Apparently they're doubling the size and that it was in the Wicklow people a few weeks back?

This has been "planned" for around a decade now.

Believe it when we see it.

Raising the existing dump to the ground will only be an improvement.

This has been "planned" for around a decade now.

Believe it when we see it.

Raising the existing dump to the ground will only be an improvement.

Yeah the planning came through when we were moving to the town but nothing has came of it! People were talking about it being in the paper and that work was imminent. Can't find anything about it though so as you say, will believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Yeah the planning came through when we were moving to the town but nothing has came of it! People were talking about it being in the paper and that work was imminent. Can't find anything about it though so as you say, will believe it when I see it.

Tesco are asking the council to extend the planing permission period that is due to expire in march

https://amp.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/tesco-revives-plans-for-major-store-expansion-36522768.html

• Advertisement

vickers209 wrote: »
    Tesco are asking the council to extend the planing permission period that is due to expire in march

https://amp.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/tesco-revives-plans-for-major-store-expansion-36522768.html

Thanks for that! I go to Tesco in Arklow at the min so would love to see this get the go ahead. I'm probably not the only local who doesn't shop there! It has nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

From reading the application, I got the feeling that they have no intention of starting within the next 5 years and that they just want to extend it so that the tens of thousands they spent on planning isn't put to waste.

Neighbours will be disappointed! They swore they were starting building very soon after it being in the paper. Wish I'd read it now! It'll most likely never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Thanks for that! I go to Tesco in Arklow at the min so would love to see this get the go ahead. I'm probably not the only local who doesn't shop there! It has nothing in it.

You're not the only local to shop elsewhere! We often go to Arklow as the Wicklow store is so sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Why exactly do people think the store is ****e? I go into it from time to time and I find it grand. Granted it's not on the same scale as Arklow but calling it ****e is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

Why exactly do people think the store is ****e? I go into it from time to time and I find it grand. Granted it's not on the same scale as Arklow but calling it ****e is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Fine for the basics but not a great range of anything. So much more choice in greystones or arklow.

Fine for the basics but not a great range of anything. So much more choice in greystones or arklow.

No arguments there, Lara - but I think calling the store ****e is over the top.

Compared to Arklow (or even Wexford), the car park is awful but too small to lay out any better, the range of items stocked is terrible - some things simply aren't available at all, others are hit and miss. For a big weekly shop, compared to pretty much any other Tesco shop around, I think sh*te is entirely appropriate.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Compared to Arklow (or even Wexford), the car park is awful but too small to lay out any better, the range of items stocked is terrible - some things simply aren't available at all, others are hit and miss. For a big weekly shop, compared to pretty much any other Tesco shop around, I think sh*te is entirely appropriate.

You must have high standards so, M&S person are you?

I think Arklow/Wexford are the standard of shop Tesco should be providing in Wicklow. It is currently very poor in comparison for the above mentioned reasons. Nothing to do with shopping in M&S.

Lidl? Supervalue?

Worse than Tesco then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ladylady32

1. No parent and child parking (although this is probably a blessing, as these spaces are usually full of me fieners, without infants, who couldn’t give a damn about anyone else)
    2. Trolleys left out in the rain, with no cover, meaning they are soaking wet when you try to put a child in.
    3. Have you ever tried to pack a full weeks shopping into a trolley there... it’s back breaking due to all the twisting because space is so tight.
    4. Poor stock selection, and poor dates on the fresh food, cramped aisles.
    I’m sure I could go on....most people I know go to Greystones or Arklow to do their weekly shop. I find it terrible that a town of Wicklow’s size hasn’t one decent grocery shop.

Advertisement