Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

There's some real talent starting to show itself.

I felt for Alex, she was evidently devastated not to be going through. Crossing fingers for her.

David is impressive. He started off doing some quite crazy stuff but he's evidently comfortable with classic cooking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lucky girl then.

Thai guy is flashy...but has he cooked European food yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Was Masterchef on tonight. I had it set to record all episodes on Virgin but it keeps missing episodes on me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes it was. 1 went home..Not on tomorrow though

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

Was Masterchef on tonight. I had it set to record all episodes on Virgin but it keeps missing episodes on me. :mad:

It was I’m afraid, at 7:30pm. Want to know what happened? Or I think they do a recap at weekend if you prefer to wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The timing is driving me crazy. Can't they decide on one time? Anything between 7:30 and 9 pm makes it hard to follow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah, the scheduling is all over the place. At the end of last Friday night's episode the continuity announcer said the next episode was on Wednesday night =/

Hard to choose between any of these. They are all great!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Dovies wrote: »
    Don't know.. can see Kenny, Nawamin and David in top 3.

Basq wrote: »
    Don't know.. can see Kenny, Nawamin and David in top 3.
    Yep. Love nawamin..his food looks amazing. I love Thailand:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What is helping Thai guy here is that John is an expert on Thai food, and he is cooking it very well. He is getting stronger with every round and certain others are falling back into the pack. He has a great week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

David had a bit of a speed-wobble last night :eek:

As did Kenny.

Both were saved on the night by Greg's concoction - what on EARTH was he thinking??? :eek::eek::eek: I couldn't believe how non-scathing all the critics and John/Greg were about it - it looked like a bowl of baby food with gravy with meat plonked on top. If that appeared in the very first round I reckon he'd have been run out of town. Most bizarre. Anyway, he's been sailing very close to the wind the last good few rounds, so his time had definitely come.

Actually Alex's dish looked very like a competent first or second round plate too - nothing at all wrong with it, but very unexciting. I think she may be thankful to Greg as well!

Moonira's scotch eggs and rice - OMG, they looked utterly gawjus!

Nawamin - what to say? He's out there. Waaaay out there. But the boy can certainly cook.

Completely O/T - anyone else find themselves totally distracted by Moonira's hair? I'm killed trying to figure out the physics of it - where does it all start and end? It's like an immovable helmet!

Lol mooniras hair is driving me nuts. It looks like a really bad comb over. Someone take her and do something with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm glad I'm not the only one distracted by her hair! :pac:

I think the combination of not having a lot of time to produce a dish, pressure to get into finals week and the stress of John and Gregg wailing at them every 5 seconds did not help on Friday.

I like Kenny, but seriously- that steak needed chips or mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Nawamin hasn't put a foot wrong yet. I wasn't a fan of his crab dish, but there wasn't anything wrong with it as such. He's the major favourite unless he slips up.

Kenny and Alex showed poor judgement in their choices though there was nothing wrong with their cooking. They're both vulnerable when it comes to the next elimination.

David is interesting - his first dishes were really off the wall, but now he's just staying in the competition by being competent and boring. He could be saving some spectacular stuff for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

Back on 9pm tonight. Just to say I am also fascinated with Moonira’s hair, especially after running around a hot kitchen for hours! Her or Nawamin for the win I think, but any of them could really...

Delighted to hear I'm not the only one driven to distraction by Moonira's hair :D

I have a slight love/hate relationship with beetroot, but that first course sounds amazing!

"Sloe berries aren't tasty. They're 'orrible"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pretty much knew what they were cooking before they showed it..

http://blackswanoldstead.co.uk.s112547.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Black-Swan-Sample-Menu.pdf

They certainly look more impressive than they sound.. but cutting a single scallop into four? C'mon...... :mad:

Mmmmm.....apple pie... icecream....sourdough..... mmmmmmmm........ ALL of my favourite things.... mmmmmmm......

• Advertisement

How can Moonira possibly have got to this level of cooking without ever having cooked a scallop or celeriac :confused:

Plus, she needs a stepladder.

It's only when I seen her walking on the middle of the final five, that I realised how teeny Moonira is!

The whole series long I've thought Alex needs a bomb put under her!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The whole series long I've thought Alex needs a bomb put under her!
    She's a bit horizontally all right!

These are the most unlikely-looking (and uncomfortable-looking) high end dining guests ever! :D

How can Moonira possibly have got to this level of cooking without ever having cooked a scallop or celeriac :confused:
    I thought scallops and celeriac were pretty much par for the course on Masterchef!

Posy wrote: »
    I thought scallops and celeriac were pretty much par for the course on Masterchef!
    I know! She's a bit of a one trick pony really, does Indian/spices like a demon but classic stuff? We'll see......

(I've never cooked a scallop myself, mind you - but that's cos I don't eat the things)

OMG that sauce!!!

Posy wrote: »

(I've never cooked a scallop myself, mind you - but that's cos I don't eat the things)
    Me either but we aren't on Masterchef:)
    Tommy is very encouraging to them all though.

• Advertisement

Me either but we aren't on Masterchef:)
    Tommy is very encouraging to them all though.
    Me neither x 3!

But I'm not applying for Masterchef either, unless Gregg and John would like me to phone for a chipper.

Advertisement