Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coinbase Drama

• 15-02-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi - I've seen over on the Cryptocurrency and Coinbase subreddits that lots and lots of people are finding today that there are multiple unauthorised transactions on the accounts they used to purchase on Coinbase (both cards and wire transfers).

Has anyone more information on this, or has anyone here been affected?

If anything happens with Coinbase the market will take a big hit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Checked my account after reading this.

And the last transaction I made to Coinbase has been put back into my bank account dated today.

Money long gone over to Binance to buy some alts, so looks like i'm a few quid up.

Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭glenq

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Checked my account after reading this.

And the last transaction I made to Coinbase has been put back into my bank account dated today.

Money long gone over to Binance to buy some alts, so looks like i'm a few quid up.

Weird

Same happened me. I had deposited some money last week that I bought some crypto with. It was returned yesterday, then it went back to Coinbase later in the day. I have fvck all in that account so they won't be clearing my account or anything like that, but still concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I checked my account again just now, another transaction has appeared showing an extra withdrawal dated yesterday.

So no longer up any money:(

In summary, there was an unauthorized transaction to Coinbase from my account which they then refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think you posted a wrong link.

• Advertisement

I had my most recent Coinbase purchase (made 10 days ago) deposited back to my bank account today, then subsequently withdrawn. I'm not down or up any money, thankfully, but this whole Coinbase episode is very concerning.

Coinbase has been a reliable gateway for me to get fiat in and out of the market. Without them, I have to go back down the whole verification and 'trust building' road again with another fiat/crypto exchange. The thoughts of it are jading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I had my most recent Coinbase purchase (made 10 days ago) deposited back to my bank account today, then subsequently withdrawn. I'm not down or up any money, thankfully, but this whole Coinbase episode is very concerning.

Coinbase has been a reliable gateway for me to get fiat in and out of the market. Without them, I have to go back down the whole verification and 'trust building' road again with another fiat/crypto exchange. The thoughts of it are jading.

Had 1300 deposited and withdrawn in same day not up or down but shocking this can occur. Trust has been quickly evaporated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I had €100 actually put into my account yesterday and found it very strange.

Checked again this evening and they've taken it back.

How can they just dip in and out of someones account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Email from coinbase last night

Coinbase
    Dear Valued Customer,

Over the last two days, some customers who recently purchased digital currency with a Visa credit or debit card may have seen duplicate transactions posted to their cardholder accounts.

This issue was not caused by Coinbase. Please see our blog post for additional detail (also copied below).

Recommended steps to follow

Check your statement — Please check your bank statement to ensure that you have not received duplicate charges. If duplicate charges have appeared, your bank should automatically post a refund within the next few days
    Contact your bank — If duplicate charges have not been refunded and/or if you have received other related charges (e.g., overdraft fees), please reach out to your bank to request that these charges be refunded
    Contact Coinbase Support — If your bank fails to refund these charges, please follow up with Coinbase Support early next week
    Though we did not initiate these charges, we are deeply sorry for any inconvenience or hardship this has caused.

Thank you for being a customer.

Regards,

The Coinbase Team

The following is a joint statement from Visa and Worldpay:

Over the last two days, some customers who used a credit or debit card at Coinbase may have seen duplicate transactions posted to their cardholder accounts.

This issue was not caused by Coinbase.

Worldpay and Coinbase have been working with Visa and Visa issuing banks to ensure that the duplicate transactions have been reversed and appropriate credits have been posted to cardholder accounts. All reversal transactions have now been issued, and should appear on customers’ credit card and debit card accounts within the next few days. We believe the majority of these reversals have already posted to accounts. If you continue to have problems with your credit or debit card account after this reversal period, including issues relating to card fees or charges, we encourage you to contact your card issuing bank.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.

Had 1300 deposited and withdrawn in same day not up or down but shocking this can occur. Trust has been quickly evaporated

On that note, today's news that it was VISA's fault is reassuring.

However, WTF Visa?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Having a nightmare myself.

I was already overdrawn when all my transactions came out and then went back in resulting a decent amount of referral fees.

Im with PTSB and none of the agents know a thing about, said theyve had no briefing about it and one emailed off to visa "upstairs" and said he would call me back later that day and that was last week.

Want it sorted before my pay goes in at the end of the week because I'll never see them fees refunded if I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

You will need to keep pressure on PTSB, they are not great with anything other than the most basic of banking tasks imho.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You should send PTSB a twitter regarding the issue guys. I find I get a better/quicker response once I engage with them over twitter.

the guy from ptsb came back yesterday.

He was still a bit confused.

He asked had visa wrote me directly and i said no but they issued a statement in line with coinbase.(he thought i had received a letter)

i told him to google visa and coinbase and he said he just did that and was going to bring this info to visa again and would call me back.

Still havent heard back yet

Advertisement