Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any differences between having a religion and going to church, to a cult?

Options
  • 15-02-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

well?

I'm bored, and my mind always wanders when i'm bored....

what prompts me to write at this particular time - well the Cult storyline thats just been on Fair City lol :D

And people going on Lent starting yesterday -brainwashed into punishing themselves and giving up something for 6 weeks just for the sake of it - im fecked if i would do it, but each to their own I suppose ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am thinking off going off Boards with these threads!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

A religion is a cult just with wider acceptance.
    ...having said that, giving something you like up for lent is still a worthy exercise in self discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Several trillion euro in assets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As a cult is "a social group defined by its religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal" then the difference with a religion is purely semantics. The early Christian church was referred to as a cult. It's just terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There really is no point to religions. If you want to be a good person, be one. You don't need an out of date book or man is a special house to tell you to be.

All religions do is put restrictions on your life. Again, as above, do those things by choice if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course the Catholic Church is a cult, it passes all the criteria.

But all its followers will never admit it is. Instead they call into Liveline and have a dig at different cults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

To answer your question - no.

Cults/religions/ belief systems are all there for one thing!

To harness your jedi mind power unbeknown to you, and use it to mine Bitcoin. :D

Seriously though, they are just synonymous mechanisms of arcane social control, whose sole function is to make money for themselves from their "flocks".

My God is more real than your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

NIMAN wrote: »
    My God is more real than your God.

There only is one God, and you shall not worship false ones, or by Christ you'll get the back of my hand across your arse.

Jehovah. Verse 1 line 4 on page 44 from the book of Jenny's sis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

As a cult is "a social group defined by its religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or its common interest in a particular personality, object or goal" then the difference with a religion is purely semantics. The early Christian church was referred to as a cult. It's just terminology.

That's a pretty loose definition though isn't it? Atheist Ireland is a cult then, a football fan group is a cult..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A religion is a cult just with wider acceptance.
    ...having said that, giving something you like up for lent is still a worthy exercise in self discipline

id like to explore that further. i mean are you saying that without lent some people might not be good be good in self discipline? and giving up something especially something that people like/love why punish yourself or feel bad if you fail under pressure.

If its not a brain washing exercise what is it? - i am presuming you grow up going to church and its drummed into you to follow lent and give up something for your own good? - if i have it wrong please tell me

we could though honestly all live without religion though couldnt we?

only obstacles I could see are what do you do about weddings/funerals and baptising babies/christening. but apart from all that...

I can see though people get solace from their faith though, and say like if someone's passed away they can feel like they can chat with their priest/vicar/imran or whatever.

The world wouldnt collapse though if people stopped believing and stopped going to church though would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

we could though honestly all live without religion though couldnt we?

It's easy if you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,393 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've noticed one difference: people are more likely to be born into a religion, whereas with a cult they are more likely to join by choice.

Religions tend to be easier to leave too (with the exception of the Catholic Church, technically speaking)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I've noticed one difference: people are more likely to be born into a religion, whereas with a cult they are more likely to join by choice.

Religions tend to be easier to leave too (with the exception of the Catholic Church, technically speaking)

yeah thats a very observant statement - true that i reckon too

Isn't choosing to join a religion or cult the end result of brainwashing and not a choice per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Pretty sick of these kinds of subject coming up in media and internet.

Christians are the most peaceful hardworking and inclusive people on this Earth.

If there is a God and yes I do struggle with it Christianity it the only religion that does not reek of the satanic and it is the only one that is openly attacked without nasty repercussions.

I have no problem in saying I agree with every word of the New Testament.

Love thy enemy including deceived followers of Satanic death cults like Islam.
    Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Be honest and truthful even if others do not want to hear it.

Murder
    Lying
    Adultery
    Homosexual acts
    Worshiping false Gods
    Deception
    Hypocrisy
    Rage and evil thoughts

the list goes on but all will land you in eternal Hellfire unless you repent and accept the gift of Jesus Christ sacrifice on the cross.

I can see this post being attacked but those that do are guilty of the sin of Hypocrisy.:)

Edit far from hate Christians would love Homosexuals Muslims Jews Buddhists active homosexuals to repent and join us.:)

Afterall we believe God created every single one of us and gave us freewill.

I don't fully agree. I am a practicing member of a religion but I still consider it a cult by definition. People try to distinguish between established religions and new models or beliefs by using the word 'cult' but all religions are cults. Cult is not a term of derision but people insist on using it as one. Religion, cult, sect, church, fraction are all synonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The difference is cults aren't integrated with the state or supported by the government.

• Advertisement

Pretty sick of these kinds of subject coming up in media and internet.

Christians are the most peaceful hardworking and inclusive people on this Earth.

If there is a God and yes I do struggle with it Christianity it the only religion that does not reek of the satanic and it is the only one that is openly attacked without nasty repercussions.

I have no problem is saying I agree with every word of the New Testament.

Love thy enemy including deceived followers of Satanic death cults like Islam.
    Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Be honest and truthful even if others do not want to hear it.

Murder
    Lying
    Adultery
    Homosexual acts
    Worshiping false Gods
    Deception
    Hypocrisy
    Rage and evil thoughts

the list goes on but all will land you in eternal Hellfire unless you repent and accept the gift of Jesus Christ sacrifice on the cross.

I can see this post being attacked but those that do are guilty of the sin of Hypocrisy.:)

Christians in high places condoned paedophilia, u need to watch out for that Satanic group. :p

Oldtree wrote: »
    Christians in high places condoned paedophilia, u need to watch out for that group. :p

Saying one thing and doing another is hypocrisy these people can not be described as Christians.

This is what they have to look forward to.

hell-02.jpg?itok=7J4JPOFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I go to church services (usually Catholic) a few times a week, I find it relaxing, I don't really connect it to my spirituality.

I wouldn't really consider Catholicism to be a cult, it's an organised religion, there is a difference.

While I'm a baptised Catholic, I'd consider myself to be non-practising (while I go to mass a lot, I don't agree with many of the fundamental beliefs, e.g. transubstantiation, or the customs, such as Lent.) I wouldn't baptise my own children, unless it were necessarily for their education etc. I suppose I'd identify as being agnostic.

AllForIt wrote: »
    The difference is cults aren't integrated with the state or supported by the government.

All governments or just the Irish one? Judaism, Islam, Hindu, Buddhism, Shintoism etc are religions too and don't fit your definition.

Saying one thing and doing another is hypocrisy these people can not be described as Christians.

You are no Christian if that is your interpretation of what Hell means to a believer.

But these people espouse Christianity from every pore and thus represent Christianity's values ie Hypocrisy.

A more modern version for you to contemplate.

MV5BY2M4ZmY4MzQtMWJlOS00OWZiLTllZGYtZDE4Zjc3NjIyMjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI2NTY2MDI@._V1_UY268_CR17,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I wouldn't really consider Catholicism to be a cult, it's an organised religion, there is a difference.

This is the rub. I'm a practising catholic and would consider it a cult, by the very definition of cult. What is the defining difference other than perception?

Talking about cults and brainwashing.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Television
    Movies
    Cinema
    Video Games

all of these suck up massive amounts of time and offer very little positive.

How many murders are shown on television and how many are enacted in video games.

We have a generation that has no respect no compassion and no morals.

And people attack the only book that teaches any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

only obstacles I could see are what do you do about weddings/funerals and baptising babies/christening. but apart from all that...

What do you mean what do you do about baptising babies? The sole reason for it is to enter them in to the religion. Nothing happens if you don't do it. Same for the bit of the wedding that happens in the church. That bit is just for the religion bit. The legal stuff is what you do afterwards and what all the people who don't bother with the church part do. The church bit is just the dog and pony show for the churches sake.

• Advertisement

You are no Christian if that is your interpretation of what Hell means to a believer.

Hell is the absence of God and outer darkness it would be impossible for me to insert a catchy pic of that.:)

Advertisement