Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any differences between having a religion and going to church, to a cult?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Talking about cults and brainwashing.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Television
    Movies
    Cinema
    Video Games

We have a generation that has no respect no compassion and no morals.

And people attack the only book that teaches any of these.

None of those things tell you how to live your life or forbid you from doing things. They are entertainment. Those are things I do in the extra hours I have by not going to mass :)

You learn your morals from your parents.

The Bible is in its hole the only book that teaches morals btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Talking about cults and brainwashing.

Facebook
    Twitter
    Television
    Movies
    Cinema
    Video Games

all of these suck up massive amounts of time and offer very little positive.

How many murders are shown on television and how many are enacted in video games.

We have a generation that has no respect no compassion and no morals.

And people attack the only book that teaches any of these.

Oh come off it! I saw Mass on TV a few times. I've seen movies about Fatima and Lourdes. Facebook, much as I loathe it from a social and communicative front myself, has helped many peoples around the world.

Your type of pontification is enough to drive even practicing Christians away from the church.

I'm inclined to not believe you are in earnest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

None of those things tell you how to live your life or forbid you from doing things. They are entertainment. Those are things I do in the extra hours I have by not going to mass :)

You learn your morals from your parents.

Islamic terror attacks have resorted to using cars and trucks as weapons against pedestrians I wonder how they got the idea?

Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_cover.jpg

Oh come off it! I saw Mass on TV a few times. I've seen movies about Fatima and Lourdes. Facebook, much as I loathe it from a social and communicative front myself, has helped many peoples around the world.

Your type of pontification is enough to drive even practicing Christians away from the church.

I'm inclined to not believe you are in earnest.

I am not hardcore If you read my opening post you can see I did say I struggle.

Come the day of Judgement I am guilty along with the rest of this World.
    Being a Christian means I admit my guilt and ask for help from God.

Islamic terror attacks have resorted to using cars and trucks as weapons against pedestrians I wonder how they got the idea?

Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_cover.jpg

Death race 2000 came out in 1975. Gta didn't invent running people over. Suppose ww2 movies gave them the idea to shoot people?

What gave the leaders of Christian religions the ideas of how to torture and kill people hundreds of years before Islamic terrorists with cars, considering they didn't have the evils of movies and video games to give them the idea?

• Advertisement

I am not hardcore If you read my opening post you can see I did say I struggle.

Come the day of Judgement I am guilty along with the rest of this World.
    Being a Christian means I admit my guilt and ask for help from God.

Well obviously you struggle, as you said elsewhere that the Savoy was your go to cinema yet now movies are the spawn of Lucifer.

Death race 2000 came out in 1975. Gta didn't invent running people over. Suppose ww2 movies gave them the idea to shoot people?

What gave the leaders of Christian religions the ideas of how to torture and kill people hundreds of years before Islamic terrorists with cars, considering they didn't have the evils of movies and video games to give them the idea?

There has always been evil and you note EVIL is LIVE spelt backwards.

What is new is how accepted and widespread it has become.

Well obviously you struggle, as you said elsewhere that the Savoy was your go to cinema yet now movies are the spawn of Lucifer.

I will admit I have been to the cinema far more times than I have been to church guilty as charged.

The Bible is what I believe to be correct and just because I have fallen way short does not make sin right.

:D Only in English.

And Garden is an anagram of Danger. What's the point???

What is new is how accepted and widespread it has become.

OK. You're obviously taking the piss. With both points.

But ignoring the first bit of crop and focusing on the 2nd, the world is much more peaceful now than it was around the time of that book you like so much. At least in modern Ireland there's not much chance of your neighbour taking a shine to your land, murdering you and just having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hell is the absence of God and outer darkness it would be impossible for me to insert a catchy pic of that.:)

Isn't hell out of the sight if God? But how is this possible if God is omnipresent? Go figure

Ok I will admit it I was having a bit of fun on this thread.:D

It has become trendy to attack the Bible I just thought I would fight it's corner for once.;)

:D Only in English.

And Garden is an anagram of Danger. What's the point???

Don't even dare think what God is backwards. That will set off some sort of end of days :)

Oldtree wrote: »
    Isn't hell out of the sight if God? But how is this possible if God is omnipresent? Go figure

Ever seen your own barse /taint? That's where they hide hell from God :)

But these people espouse Christianity from every pore and thus represent Christianity's values ie Hypocrisy.

A more modern version for you to contemplate.

MV5BY2M4ZmY4MzQtMWJlOS00OWZiLTllZGYtZDE4Zjc3NjIyMjM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI2NTY2MDI@._V1_UY268_CR17,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I played that game on Xbox years ago it was good.

Ok I will admit it I was having a bit of fun on this thread.:D

It has become trendy to attack the Bible I just thought I would fight it's corner for once.;)

You were doing a great job, I was being the devil's advocate too :D, can I now interest you in meeting up and having a grand old chat about a really really cool man called Joseph Smith?

You were doing a great job, I was being the devil's advocate too :D, can I now interest you in meeting up and having a grand old chat about a really really cool man called Joseph Smith?

Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Hope you get the reference.

Ever seen your own barse /taint? That's where they hide hell from God :)

Tainted Barse is the innkeeper of the Traitor's Gate Tavern. Has he the key to hell?

Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Hope you get the reference.

So that's a yes then. Great. I'll pm you the meeting place and time. Really looking forward to meeting you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

What do you mean what do you do about baptising babies? The sole reason for it is to enter them in to the religion. Nothing happens if you don't do it. Same for the bit of the wedding that happens in the church. That bit is just for the religion bit. The legal stuff is what you do afterwards and what all the people who don't bother with the church part do. The church bit is just the dog and pony show for the churches sake.

oh id say things like getting married in church , getting funeral at a church , christening kids at a church with people who dont regularly go to church or follow religion (me included) go ... because its the done thing!

Highly hypocritical i know though - I mean i have felt awkward in all 3 scenarios because i just think when i am there what a heathen i am and that i shouldnt even be there - its a good job God's special powers dont run to hitting people with lightening to those who only go to church for weddings, funerals and christening because i would be fried meat by now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

in reality all the catholic church do is try and tell ye what to believe and do and expect a donation from you for the pleasure. So ye a cult with a large following of sheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Religions, cults, it's all semantics!

in reality all the catholic church do is try and tell ye what to believe and do and expect a donation from you for the pleasure. So ye a cult with a large following of sheeple

an awful lot of chanting goes on as well - specially at a catholic gig .. and amazingly everyone knows the words and the rituals! :) .. like they have had it drummed into them for years rehearsed it for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....where it is actually 47 because the Sundays are not included but they are holy days so you still cannot do the naughty thing you have given up for Lent so it is all a con, the aren't honest to tell the sheep it is actually 47 days until Easter.

Giving up stuff is part of a lot of religions, the Muslims give up eating for Ramadam. They must have some fall back as a human cannot survive long without some food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Probably a cult-lite rather than a classic cult. I would understand a cult as being a community that considers itself to be the sole authority on how people act as individuals and as a group, excluding outsiders. In a modern state we recognize the authority of the police, army, judicial system and state authorities as having higher authority than the church.

In a cult, justice and order are typically dealt with internally and members feel free to punish transgressors themselves rather than appealing to outside authorities.

On the other hand, secular cults are springing up like wildfire, filling in the void left by the cloak of the church. The people frothing at the mouth and forming mobs on social media are the people who would be building bonfires for witches a few centuries ago. Fundamentalism is rapidly spreading due to the always-on echo chambers of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think the big difference between a religion and a cult is that a cult will generally involve cutting yourself off from non believers.

Besides that they're nearly identical.

I've always thought the " Starve yourself for lent " so dangerous and irresponsible.

The cut out gluttony food or drink for lent ... OK, but why beat yourself up about it - if you want it have it .. and feck the guilt if you fail if you couldnt stick to it before the time was up - some people really get disgusted with themselves if they cave in - silly so it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

I've always thought the " Starve yourself for lent " so dangerous and irresponsible.

The cut out gluttony food or drink for lent ... OK, but why beat yourself up about it - if you want it have it .. and feck the guilt if you fail if you couldnt stick to it before the time was up - some people really get disgusted with themselves if they cave in - silly so it is

Lent is a walk in the park compared to the self-administered starvation in the name of vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Even when I was a kid, brought up a Catholic, I thought that it was crazy that someone would walk around lough derg or climb Croagh Patrick in bare feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement