Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Finished it there, I enjoyed it but it felt like season 2.5, a lot of set up the next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

shawki wrote: »
    Finished it there, I enjoyed it but it felt like season 2.5, a lot of set up the next season.

Agreed, just teased me for more... But I'm ok with that.

But yeah, I love the show, but does Sam playing football go down as the worst acting you've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

came across an interesting contrast between this show and Star Wars in terms of respecting the legacy characters while introducing new ones, they have a point

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

silverharp wrote: »
    came across an interesting contrast between this show and Star Wars in terms of respecting the legacy characters while introducing new ones, they have a point

I thought similar watching it, there will be a lot more producers trying to go down the same route as this and the Mandalorian, whether they can balance the nostalgia with a new story will be the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Great season. Such well balanced storytelling and great addition of background to creeses character

Last episode was just fantastic.

• Advertisement

Bit of fun trivia. Martin Kove's (kreese's) son Jesse is the bully in the diner. The lad playing his younger-self actually looks more like him

https://ew.com/tv/cobra-kai-martin-kove-season-3-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

About 15 years a band called No More Kings wrote a song based on Johnny Lawrence and the original Karate Kid movie.

They asked William Zabka to direct the video. The entire male cast except Pat Morita are in it.

Slightly bizarre but apparently it was a bit hit on YouTube in its early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The season ending the way it did felt a bit abrupt but I enjoyed it again.

I still can't figure out whether the actress playing Tori is just extremely good or if her bad acting is just enhancing how much I dislike the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I still can't figure out whether the actress playing Tori is just extremely good or if her bad acting is just enhancing how much I dislike the character.

What? Tori is the MVP of the show. Totally shows up Sam.

Four episodes in and I'm not feeling it as much as i did the previous two seasons. It's lost its humour. Feels more like a cheesey soap opera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Four episodes in and I'm not feeling it as much as i did the previous two seasons. It's lost its humour. Feels more like a cheesey soap opera.

Finished it there this evening.
    Really enjoyed it
    80 Ch the se and montageS to beat the bands.
    Jonny has a few good one liners
    Getting the feeling netflix will keep this going as long as possible.
    It had 1 more season in it max

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Daniel’s daughter seems “chubby”.

Tori is hot.

A great show. Johnnny is a superb character. Daniel remains annoying beyond belief.

Can’t wait for TS to reappear in Season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a little slow to get going. The trip to Japan was bizzare. Johnny is brilliant in it. Ralph Macchio is not a good actor. Elizabeth Shue looks amazing. And loved the Vietnam back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Finished it last night. Didn't realise it was last episode till it was over. Enjoyed it.

Robby is the stupidest character in the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Robbie is very annoying alright.

Elizabeth Shue looks great.

A superb show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I liked Robby's arc until this season....
    had a feeling he'd be put with Kreese predictably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Finished it there this evening.
    Really enjoyed it
    80 Ch the se and montageS to beat the bands.
    Jonny has a few good one liners
    Getting the feeling netflix will keep this going as long as possible.
    It had 1 more season in it max

As much as I love the show, I agree with this. They need to end it after next season.

Some great small moments in S3:

- The parents meeting at the start where a parent shouts at LaRusso "I heard you were the real bully"

- Johnny's Facebook messages to Ali

- The LaRusso's going to the police station and the cop thanking them for making his job easier

- The insults between the small guys of the respective groups just before the last fight

I didn't like:
    The Ali stuff in the country club. Maybe she needed a bigger part or something. But for me, it didn't really work so well

It was always going to happen but
    seeing Hawk becoming Dmitri's friend again was a brilliant moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I watched all of Season 3 over the weekend. Some brief observations:

o Ralph Macchio and William Zabra look great for men in their late 50s. They could easily pass for late 40s.

o Mrs. LaRusso is 38 years old in real life per Wikipedia!!! I couldn't believe it. She is very pretty, but she looks late 40s or early 50s.

o Nice reference to The Cranberries during the Okinawa visit

o The final episode (#10) was more violent than usual.

o A bit unrealistic that Robbie would return to karate after almost killing/paralysing someone

o Johnny's use of technology is hilarious.

o Great poke at political correctness in the school, e.g. safe spaces, triggers, hugs, etc

o Cobra Kai should end after Season 4. Otherwise, it will become like Stranger Things..... rehashing fights and battles over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I watched all of Season 3 over the weekend. Some brief observations:

o Ralph Macchio and William Zabra look great for men in their late 50s. They could easily pass for late 40s.

o Mrs. LaRusso is 38 years old in real life per Wikipedia!!! I couldn't believe it. She is very pretty, but she looks late 40s or early 50s.

o Nice reference to The Cranberries during the Okinawa visit

o The final episode (#10) was more violent than usual.

o A bit unrealistic that Robbie would return to karate after almost killing/paralysing someone

o Johnny's use of technology is hilarious.

o Great poke at political correctness in the school, e.g. safe spaces, triggers, hugs, etc

o Cobra Kai should end after Season 4. Otherwise, it will become like Stranger Things..... rehashing fights and battles over and over again

That was also funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Anyone know what the tune in that trailer is? Sounds brilliant
    You should look up spinal tap, you would love them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Watched the whole lot in one sitting tonight and it was as kick ass as I expected it to be... and more...

Couldn't think of any way better to kickstart a new year...

giphy.gif

Hardcore :) Watched it over two days. Really excellent, binge watching is a killer as I want to watch more episodes now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mimon wrote: »
    Really excellent, binge watching is a killer as I want to watch more episodes now!!!

I wanted more so much, I made the mistake of clicking on the stupid AfterParty show. Awful at the best of times but made worse by the fact that people kept touching each other and even coming out and hugging everyone in that ridiculous fake American way, in the middle of crazy levels of community transmission all over the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just started S3 after watching S1 & S2 over the past weekend. As above it's a great show, with Johnny the standout character. Cant wait for S4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Season 3 felt even more contrived than season 2. Got through it quite quickly in thanks to the lockdown but it's starting to get a lot less interesting. Having to come up with numerous ways to orchestrate fights between the different groups was getting a bit silly I thought. The Kreese backstory felt completely superfluous as did the trip to Okinawa which seemed to be solely for a 'Look at them now!' moment for some of the characters from the second movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Yes I had her down as around mid 40s, I was surprised she wasn't 40 yet. Still a stunner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm the same. Maybe its how they keep filming her solo walking towards Sam saying she's going to kick her ass etc. It's started to feel really overdone making me hate her character but not for the right reasons. The actress is playing it really well though imo.

Worst actor on the show is the blonde kid with glasses. Every second of his screen time he just has this look of "Stand here and don'tlookatthecamera don'tlookatthecamera don'tlookatthecamera". Hopefully he does an Aisha and his parents move him to another school before next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That was also funny!

I actually think it's really overdone at times. It got a few laughs in earlier seasons, but they have a tendency to shoehorn it in to a degree it's more likely to get a groan.

I don't think there any point in dissecting some of the more contrived parts of this considering its supposed to be ridiculous. Didn't nearly enjoy this season as the last two. Some good laughs from Johnny thoughout but it's cheesiness has worn thin. Far too many characters are straight out of bad soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

for those of you all saying its not as enjoyable, can i ask what ye expected from a show that should have always been terrible?

season 3 is still well ahead of what anyone expected from season 1.

its cheesey nostalgia on purpose and takes the piss out of the modern pc world, it exactly all the things everyone like so much about the first 2 seasons.

i do agree tho 2 more short seasons is the max they can get from it and id be happy with only 1 more.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I wanted more so much, I made the mistake of clicking on the stupid AfterParty show. Awful at the best of times but made worse by the fact that people kept touching each other and even coming out and hugging everyone in that ridiculous fake American way, in the middle of crazy levels of community transmission all over the US.

I think filming may have concluded in early 2020, before the pandemic. Could be wrong on that

Advertisement