Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobra Kai - The Karate Kid - Youtube TV Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Mc Love wrote: »
    yeah I am really disliking Daniel and his family (bar the daughter) Robbie is so annoying too.

It's impossible to dislike the daughter. She is the smiliest actress ever! :pac:

I do cringe at the scenes where Robbie walks in on Daniel doing some moves Mr Miyagi taught him, and then he explains them to a rapt Robbie. At this stage, Daniel could be having a ****, and if Robbie walked in, he could explain it away as a meditation technique taught to him by Miyagi and Robbie would buy it :)

Watched the first episode last night: it's on a par with the first series. Very entertaining, although I almost wish there was no Daniel and family in it. When Daniel and his wife and kids (and Robbie) are onscreen it feels like a teen drama, whereas when Johnny is there it feels like a darker, and much more entertaining, show. FYI Ralph Macchio is 57!

Im not sure it would work without Daniel to be honest. The whole show is based around Johnnys struggle to deal with his past and bury his ghosts and Daniel is a huge part of that. i agree on the teen bit though. Miguel and Samantha aside, the rest of them seem very cartoony. Hawk is way overdone. They could have made him a more rounded character with a more gradual transformation. Funnily enough, as annoying as Dmitri can be, i actually find him funny at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What's the story with LeRusso? He's got his own business and his wife is getting pure annoyed with him putting all his time into the dojo. Miyagi at least was retired.

Kreese is an evil bastard though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was anyone else happy to see Daniel and Johnny getting along? Daniel shouldn't have kicked the bloody door in although i understand he was worried about Sam

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was anyone else happy to see Daniel and Johnny getting along? Daniel shouldn't have kicked the bloody door in although i understand he was worried about Sam

Happens at least once a season but never lasts too long which keeps the story going. Its more of a frenemy-ship than anything else. The odd couple really. I can imagine that a certain amount of bickering will remain in place but they will carve out a solid friendship of sorts albeit after a long journey (that hopefully wont become too tiresome). Ill be honest, id find it hard to ever see Johnny adapting the Miyagi-do way of life and i hope that remains the case and likewise. Daniel is a hot head though for a guy who is running a dojo where zen like calmness is at the heart of its teachings.

• Advertisement

Am I on my own here when i say that the
    school fight
    ruined what was a perfectly good season to date?? For me it was non-sensical and overcooked. They could have had an incident in the and dealt with the fallout of that incident for the rest of that episode, but a
    10-15 minute fight????-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Making my way through this now in a binge and it's incredibly good. Really on par with the first season once it gets in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched Ep3 through 8 in one sitting. They're short enough though so really only the length of a (fairly) long movie.

Have to say I really enjoyed it. It's such an easy watch and compelling enough that I immediately found myself jumping to the next episode without a thought.

Last episode was a tad cheesy and overdone alright but on the right side of it.

Just like the first season, you'd swear each episode is longer than it actually is as they pack so much in. There's really very little filler, everything has a point or purpose.

Anyway, big thumbs up overall.

The positive for me - John Kreese. A brilliant character and an integral part of the franchise. This season showed a more human and vulnerable side to him, but he's truly bad to the bone

Johnny continues to grow as a character and I like Miguel too. A far better actor than Robby who comes across as very wooden.

Favourite episode as I said was episode 6. Excellent writing and very poignant.
    Very subtle messages in the episode as to the Cobra Kai old school guys and how, while they still like an adventure, they have matured as men, reflected on their past mistakes and sought redemption. I love the character of Bobby who has real depth even since the first movie. I think there is scope for another episode featuring him. Its a pity Chad McQueen wont reprise his role as Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,710 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

YouTube renews Cobra Kai for season 3

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    YouTube renews Cobra Kai for season 3

18m views. A smash hit really. Cant wait. Hopefully they bring shooting forward a bit and we dont have to wait a bloody year between seasons although Ralph Macchio is shooting 'The Deuce' (another brilliant show) so there could be conflicts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Great second season to follow the first. How Johnny gets away with so much drink driving is beyond me

Am I on my own here when i say that the
    school fight
    ruined what was a perfectly good season to date?? For me it was non-sensical and overcooked. They could have had an incident in the and dealt with the fallout of that incident for the rest of that episode, but a
    10-15 minute fight????-

I don't think these kind of complaints are valid given the premise of the show. It's ridiculous and nonsensical by nature. I'd usually be one to pick shows apart but when its not trying to be uber serious from the get-go, the bar is lowered. I'm loving it nonetheless. I find myself laughing all the time, sometimes at parts that maybe aren't obviously in-your-face funny. Kreese's entire character is hilarious.

I don't think these kind of complaints are valid given the premise of the show. It's ridiculous and nonsensical by nature. I'd usually be one to pick shows apart but when its not trying to be uber serious from the get-go, the bar is lowered. I'm loving it nonetheless. I find myself laughing all the time, sometimes at parts that maybe aren't obviously in-your-face funny. Kreese's entire character is hilarious.

It is great bad TV, no more than the first movie was a great bad movie :pac:

I get what you mean but i thought the movies were that little bit more story and character development focused whereas the series seems to be action focused. The films wasnt as Karate heavy if you know what i mean. Now i dont mind Karate scenes....but 15 mins on the
    same school brawl
    was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 is streaming free at the moment on Youtube.

Rob Garrison who played the role of Tommy has died at the age of 59 - RIP

Rob Garrison who played the role of Tommy has died at the age of 59 - RIP

Jeez :(..... thats terribly sad....and quite freaky too considering.

R.I.P. Tommy. "get him a body bag...yeah!!!" :o (not doing a bad taste joke, just paying tribute to him with his most famous line).

R.I.P. Tommy. "get him a body bag...yeah!!!" :o (not doing a bad taste joke, just paying tribute to him with his most famous line).

All those CK guys and Billy Zabka remained really good friends in real life after the original film according to Zabka himself. It came across well in that excellent episode they did this season
    where the old CK go on a road trip and reminisce about old times

Ron Thomas who played Bobby is actually a life coach now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Fun Fact

In Cobra Kai Episode 1 Johnny is drinking heavily while watching his favourite 80s movie Iron Eagle, of which Rob Garrison/Tommy was a cast member.

Elizabeth Shue to star

Elizabeth Shue to star

As easy on the eye as she was in the original movies, im actually genuinely wondering if her character serves any purpose on the show. I suppose all will be revealed, but id see more point in trying to bring back Terry Silver than Alli (with an i)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Only started watching this at the weekend, almost through S1. Was expecting it to be heavy on the cheddar but I'm finding it very good.

The
    role reversals angle
    was clever, otherwise it would just be rehashing the original story.
    Johnny playing the anti-hero very well IMHO.

I was looking to see if there was an update on season 3 as it is close to the time both season 1 & 2 were released April/May.

Ralph said on Twitter in March that he was finished filming and now the season was going into post production so I guess with everything going on it won't get released till the end of the year now.

I was looking to see if there was an update on season 3 as it is close to the time both season 1 & 2 were released April/May.

Ralph said on Twitter in March that he was finished filming and now the season was going into post production so I guess with everything going on it won't get released till the end of the year now.

Post production can't be done remotely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nope, it hasn't been delayed. No release date yet but Hayden Schlossberg has said it's still going ahead as planned.

https://twitter.com/TVSPUMPSguy/status/1246520916034629632

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Watched the two seasons this week. It's really enjoyable and easy watching

Johnny is very charismatic and unintentionally hilarious at times.

QUIET!!

‘Cobra Kai’ Closing In On New Streaming Home With YouTube Poised To Release Hit Series Ahead Of Season 3
    YouTube’s flagship scripted series Cobra Kai will be moving to a new streaming platform for its upcoming third season. The Google-owned online video service is in the process of releasing Season 3 of the popular show to producing studio Sony Pictures TV amid a retreat from premium original scripted programming.

Sony TV had taken Cobra Kai out, with all major streamers expressing interest, sources said. I hear the field of suitors has been narrowed down, with Netflix and Hulu leading the short list of contenders for the Karate Kid sequel series, starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

Noone would comment but I hear that, along with exclusive rights to Season 3 of Cobra Kai, the new outlet will have access on a non-exclusive basis to the first two seasons of the show for fans to catch up. That has been part of the negotiation with YouTube, which had ownership in and exclusive global rights to the first two seasons under the original license agreement with Sony TV..........

https://deadline.com/2020/05/cobra-kai-closing-in-new-streaming-home-youtube-release-season-3-series-netflix-hulu-1202941951/

• Advertisement

Advertisement