Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French or German aria for Mezzo ideas?

• 15-02-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

I'm doing an audition on March 11 that requires 5 arias in at least 3 different languages. This is for the summer program with the New York Lyric Opera. I don't expect to make it, but I want the experience of an audition because I have one later that month that I have a better shot at. I have 4 arias ready:

Must the Winter Come So Soon
    Smanie Implacabili
    Che faro senza Euridice
    Una voce poca fa

I need a 5th song in either German or French, but I'm having trouble finding one. I'm a coloratura mezzo who does lyric as well and my voice teacher insists that I cannot take a song out of my fach to an audition, which excludes all dramatic mezzo arias, including Carmen and Samson et Dalila. This is frustrating because I know and can sing at least two arias from those operas well. I also have a coloratura French art song that I sing really well, but it's not an aria, so I can't use it.

Most true coloratura music was written in Italian, which I already have plenty of. I'm working on Que fais-tu, but I'm not sure I can have the ending ready in time. I need something short, in French or German that's definitely not dramatic mezzo that I can learn in a few weeks in case Que fais-tu isn't ready. Any ideas?

Advertisement