Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne 3 beds increase by 55k in 9 months

Options
  • 15-02-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Helping my sister and her young family look for 3 bed semi's within the commuter belt and was surprised to see new builds in a town like Ashbourne have gone up by 55k in one year. We attended a showhouse viewing in the Churchfields estate in Ashbourne on Sunday. 3 bed semi's currently priced at €350k compared to €295k 6-9 months ago, the viewing was annoyingly wedged. Houses are the usual, nice, A3 rated and all that blurb but that's a serious price increase by anyone's standards. It leaves my sister stretching to the extreme or to go back further in the commuter belt to towns like Drogheda.

The prices are the prices and they have gone up across the board but it's left her totally deflated. My question is have many others experienced these significant increases in the last 6-9 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Back in 2006 - 2007 there were similar jumps .. zpeople stretched and stretched to buy and ... well we know the rest !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 househunter41

whippet wrote: »
    Back in 2006 - 2007 there were similar jumps .. zpeople stretched and stretched to buy and ... well we know the rest !

However not sure if they'll decrease in the next few years. We could be waiting a while yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

It begins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Buy what you can afford.

All the signs are there.
    Ashbourne is a commuter belt again.
    Overstretching replaces cant afford it.

Chaos is a ladder not property. When you have piles of money you buy when the recession happens. When you have no money you buy when it’s about to happen then complain for ten years about tax increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

Huge sharp increases in the prices since the new year.

D24 2 bedroom apartments 2017: 100-180k
    D24 2 bedroom apartments Feb 2018: 180-250k

D24 1 bedroom apartments 2017: 80-100k
    D24 1 bedroom apartments Feb 2018: 130-170k

I was viewing apartments in Ashbourne 6 months ago. Now I can only afford Navan and Kells. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Price compression caused by help to buy.

Lumen wrote: »
    Price compression caused by help to buy.

Plus a lack of supply

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Dr_Kolossus

Is she looking at Ratoath too? Less than 10 mins from ashbourne, and handier to many parts of Dublin via closer proximity of train. There are lovely 3 beds there for 295.

Personally I'd rather live in Ratoath too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 househunter41

Is she looking at Ratoath too? Less than 10 mins from ashbourne, and handier to many parts of Dublin via closer proximity of train. There are lovely 3 beds there for 295.

If it's the same new build that I'm thinking of there starting at 330 rather than 295.

The one thing about Ashbourne is the amount of shops, Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl in one town and it's straight onto the M3 taking 10 minutes to get to the M50. The sister works in Finglas so it would be super convenient hence whys she's frustrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If it's the same new build that I'm thinking of there starting at 330 rather than 295.

The one thing about Ashbourne is the amount of shops, Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu, Aldi and Lidl in one town and it's straight onto the M3 taking 10 minutes to get to the M50. The sister works in Finglas so it would be super convenient hence whys she's frustrated.

I’ll admit I’m biased but a quick look at MyHome.ie shows a house in Steeplechase & a house in Milltree in Ratoath listed at sub 300k.
    I can drive to Ashbourne shops in less than 10 minutes, Finglas from Ratoath in 15 minutes & Blanchardstown shopping centre in 20 minutes. There’s still a decent community feel here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Ashbourne way better connected to Dublin by public transport than Rataoth - 30-35 minutes to O'Connell street by bus. There is no train in Rataoth, only reachable 10-15 minutes away by car at M3 Parkway. Also in Rataoth, need to drive to Ashbourne for almost any shopping. Ashbourne is closer to M2 as well.

The estate in question (Churchfields in Ashbourne) is within walking distance of Ashbourne centre (5 supermarkets + tons on amenities on main street + 5 schools) - that's what explain the price. (for full disclosure, I live there)

Advertisement