Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSDi 1070 or SPC 4320

Options
  • 15-02-2018 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone might be able to give me some fresh perspective as my head is melted looking at specs and can/can'ts of systems. House is currently pre-wired.

I received quotes for both of the above systems that are broadly similar in price for seemingly similar coverage as regards number of inertia, magnetic, PIRs, and self monitoring via IP. SPC has an extra cost for a digital dialler which the gsd has with the dual comm communicator.

From reading a few older threads I think the main differences are:

GSD is wifi - SPC is hard wired to router
    SPC has slightly faster polling
    GSD has smash and grab notifications
    SPC has more possible notification channels (email, browser, text alerts etc)
    GSD has live video with Hikvision cameras
    SPC doesn't have wireless inertia sensors
    SPC has cause/effect programming for home automation

Both have free apps for self monitoring but from what I've seen on the SPC demo app it looks to have more functionality than the GSD one (albeit I've only seen the GSD in brief video clips or pictures). In the SPC app there is a section for cameras, can any be used for live feed or is it limited to Vanderbilt brand?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Is one better than the other? Or both as good as each other and then down to my preferences?

I find the SPCK521 keypad (another extra) much more visually pleasing however I can't use that as the only reason to pick SPC over GSD 😂😂

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You are fairly spot on with your comparisons.
    I am not going to tell you one is terrible and the other is the best there is. They all conform to the same standard and requirements
    With the polling you are down to minutes rather than hours unlike some other systems. At that stage , along with smash & grab alerts your response is really about getting the property attended to.. What I mean is if you get a verified alarm followed by poll fails or smash & grab alerts all you are going to be interested in is getting someone to your property, not whether you are still getting texts or video.
    Its probably down to what you want from the system now & into the future..
    Will you ever require or need wireless shock sensors?
    If not +1 for SPC here if yes or maybe +1 for GSD
    Will you likely be integrating some sort of CCTV if yes +1 for GSD if not + 1 to SPC
    GSD has the option of both WiFi and Hardwired IP connections
    Both have the option of Duel Path (IP/GSM) communications.
    On the home automation side, I think anyone who is serious about it will end up going with a dedicated system. GSD & Siemens have output options that can trigger devices etc.
    The Siemens SPCK521 Touch Screen keypad is one of the nicest on the market. But, that is only aesthetics and as you say, that may not be enough. Others tell me they prefer the GSD as its plain white when closed and blends with everything. Each to their own on this.
    At the moment GSD would be slightly more popular with us based on wireless options more than anything else.
    As an installer of both systems we really look at the customers wants & needs on something like this, as opposed to trying to sell you one particular system.
    I have no commercial interest in one product over the other & I have no commercial alignments or agreements with either manufacturer.
    I'm just giving honest professional opinion on these 2 brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Cheer for the reply Koolkid

It'd almost be easier if there was less choice/options and it was easy to say good/bad - make my job easier :P

CCTV is something I plan to add in some format at a later date primarily some external coverage though NVR with some form of push notification on movement detection, not a must that it needs to be tied into the same alarm app, though probably a plus for GSD/Hikvision here.

Home automation integration isn't a high priority, if I'm bothered I'd say IFTTT can probably be set to trigger from received push notifications to turn on lights, turn off oven etc

Wireless shock is a maybe... I've an idea to extend a zone out to cover a steel shed in garden (small side window & door) which wireless would make implementation easier though as I've to run a power cable out to it also a wired alarm connection could possibly be done at the same time. Is there a rule of thumb for range on wireless sensors? I'm not looking at massive range, maybe ~ 10 meters to either keypad or termination point of wired alarm cables. (I think I saw somewhere last night that SPC will work with some 3rd party wireless inertia sensors?)

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A range of 10m should be fine for wireless but with so many other influential factors you can never be sure.
    GSD do a nice tidy repeater that goes into PiR housing so it can be mounted without looking out of place.
    Siemens allow for additional wireless receivers to be mounted in keypads on in separate housing wired into the keypad bus.
    Both systems will also allow multiple areas if you are alarming a garage or shed etc.
    If part sets are required for internal motion sensors etc, Siemens can have 2 GSD can have up to 4.
    3rd party wireless sensors can be added to any system. But it gets a little messy and you will not get the same information to the alarm or have the same control over the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 riggles2

KoolKid wrote: »
    A range of 10m should be fine for wireless but with so many other influential factors you can never be sure.
    GSD do a nice tidy repeater that goes into PiR housing so it can be mounted without looking out of place.
    Siemens allow for additional wireless receivers to be mounted in keypads on in separate housing wired into the keypad bus.
    Both systems will also allow multiple areas if you are alarming a garage or shed etc.
    If part sets are required for internal motion sensors etc, Siemens can have 2 GSD can have up to 4.
    3rd party wireless sensors can be added to any system. But it gets a little messy and you will not get the same information to the alarm or have the same control over the device.

I am also looking at these two systems but unlike Grassey I would need to use wireless inertia sensor, Koolkid would you recommend just going with GSD or is a bridge using spc an option or is it just not worth the hassle.

GSD would be the easier and tidier option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 riggles2

Thanks Koolkid, contacted GSD today and waiting to hear back from them, do you know if it possible to self install if not can you please pm me with a quote or your recommended installers in east meath , drogheda-balbriggan area
    thanks

KoolKid wrote: »
    GSD would be the easier and tidier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Hi
    sitting on the fence with similar decision to make.
    From all the threads here leaning towards SPC.. (don't need wireless shock sensor)
    Except I do like the GSD hikvision integration.

I see you an configure SPC to get stills from IP cams, and video from their own eventys cams..
    Anyone any experience with third party cam configs ?

and I do like the the SPCK521 keypad :-)

On the other hand any views how the RISCO Lightsys2 panel compares??
    they have their own low res rebranded IP cams...

/WD

Advertisement