Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you recognise this beach?

Options
  • 15-02-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Is this Ballinskelligs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I think so -- if it helps its definitely none of the beaches on the Dingle peninsula and does remind me of the Waterville/Ballinskelligs area but I wouldn't be familiar enough to pinpoint an exact beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Was thinking around Dingle at first, Brandon or Fermoyle. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Not bal'skelligs , could be Waterville with horse island in backround......

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Its not Ballinskelligs and not Waterville either. He is using a telephoto lens which distorts the perspective and makes it more difficult to figure out. You can see a lookout tower in the distance at around 0.20, someone might recognise that.

Are you sure its Kerry? Some of those surfing types don't know what day of the week it is, not to mind what county they're in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

JonathonS wrote: »
    Some of those surfing types don't know what day of the week it is, not to mind what county they're in. :)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

This is bugging me :) I don't think it's Brandon/Fermoyle etc because there are no mountains behind the hills towards the end of the clip, whereas if it was anywhere from the Maharees westwards you'd see Mt. Brandon towering above them all. The mention of a telephoto lens makes me think we could be led astray though and these hills are much farther away than they seem.... The tower to the left hand side means the open ocean is to the left?? I'm wondering if this is in west Cork - Glengarriff or Roaringwater Bay area?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

lottpaul wrote: »
    The tower to the left hand side means the open ocean is to the left??

The tower is on the right as you look out to sea...

Initially I thought it might be Inch, with the tower on the hill in the background being the one at Dingle. But the rocks at the water's edge are not Inch and the houses and hills in the background don't look right. Plus he mentions a reef???

Try asking via email or FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Is it not Waterville? There used to be a spot out past the town that used to be a sekret surfing spot when I was growing up. Don't the hills in the back match up with the video? https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.8056321,-10.1704199,3a,75y,292.35h,66.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNem2-EXJu6ODrw814EDpEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I think it might be Wine Strand out by Ballyferriter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Definitely not Wine Strand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ambasite wrote: »
    Is this Ballinskelligs?

Waterville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Looks like Reenroe beach on the Waterville to Ballinskelligs road (old Waterville beach hotel) esp if that's horse island in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's waterville at the rivermouth right here where the wave is breaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It's waterville at the rivermouth right here where the wave is breaking

I think we're both wrong, but you are more correct and its about 2km further south
    https://www.google.ie/maps/place/51%C2%B047'35.5%22N+10%C2%B010'44.9%22W/@51.7969996,-10.2536011,10542m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x484f8e9dce05bfb3:0xa00c7a99731cb80!2sWaterville,+Co.+Kerry!3b1!8m2!3d51.829465!4d-10.1745436!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d51.7932049!4d-10.1791434
    If you see the angle Horse Island is pictured from - it suggests above spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Apologies, the thread was closed by mistake. I am not sure how it happened, but it’s reopened again. Sorry about that. Mod

Advertisement