Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kid causes havoc on flight

• 15-02-2018 11:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/news/passengers-recall-apos-flight-hell-221221452.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5391341/Passenger-films-toddlers-eight-hour-tantrum-flight.html#comments

A child basically ran riot for an eight hour transatlantic flight from Germany last year and footage emerged today. I think it was exceptionally bad parenting when it was obvious that the child needed some discipline from the mother. Everyone in that cabin would have been effected and if an adult behaved like that the flight would have diverted dumping you off in Greenland or Gander, Canada.

I think it was poor form from the cabin crew to tolerate this as apparently the screaming and tantrums started before takeoff which would have given them amble opportunity to eject the mother and her out of control kid before push back.

I had the misfortune to be on a flight to Kuala Lumpur one time where a kid decided to start hitting my head from behind but after an hour it stopped as the kid passed out. I remember another time flying to Asia and having an indepth conversation with an 8 year old and his mother seated next to me and it was obvious the child was some way intellectually gifted and I complimented the young kid for his mannerisms and his mother for the obviously great job she was doing at parenting. His knowledge of IT and Aviation was at an advanced level and the kid was maybe a fourth class equivalent here.

If it was me I'd be complaining to Lufthansa and demanding compensation for having to endure 8 hours of that form of torture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

F*ck that. I get that babies have issues with ear pain due to the pressure change and that causes most of the crying, but I wouldn't be so polite with sh*t like that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

She should have put him in a box and sent him by ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My instant reaction to that is to feel so sorry for the poor little boy.
    He obviously has special needs and he must have been deeply distressed through the whole 8 hours.
    I’m no an advocate for drugging kids but I would definitley make an exception for a long haul flight.
    I assume they are not making long trips every week.
    Of course there may be a medical reason that he couldn’t be sedated.
    Poor little boy.

I've experienced similar although not quite so bad on flights to and from China.. There's nothing you or the airline staff can do. Touch the kid, in any way, and you'd be up on assault charges. It's up to the parents but the airline won't target the parents because it's bad press.

Get some earplugs for blocking noise, which won't help completely but you can then put the large headphones over them. Works a charm. Meditate till you sleep and you'll probably get a good 6 hours sleep avoiding most of the hassles with long flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

This kid has a bad case of ADHD ... needs medication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I feel sorry for the kid and his parents as it seems like he has a disability of some sort. That must travel even more stressful than it already is. But I also feel sympathy with the other passengers, because that's a long flight to sit through with such a disruptive child. And I know you'll get some parents who think everyone should have the patience of an angel when it comes to children, but that's unrealistic, especially in this scenario where it's nonstop for 8 hours. There are no winners here.

I've experienced similar although not quite so bad on flights to and from China.. There's nothing you or the airline staff can do. Touch the kid, in any way, and you'd be up on assault charges. It's up to the parents but the airline won't target the parents because it's bad press.

Get some earplugs for blocking noise, which won't help completely but you can then put the large headphones over them. Works a charm. Meditate till you sleep and you'll probably get a good 6 hours sleep avoiding most of the hassles with long flights.

I don't mind the noise, been on a few flights with crying children, but letting the child run amok on the plane is not on. He should be restrained to his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

The child obviously has a condition, but if your child is prone to this sort of behaviour surely you'd think twice about subjecting him (and an entire cabin of passengers) to a long-haul flight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

These should be an optional extra when airlines order planes...

:D

eeguy wrote: »
    I don't mind the noise, been on a few flights with crying children, but letting the child run amok on the plane is not on. He should be restrained to his seat.

Childrens' voices while crying on a plane seem to hit the right rises and drops to prevent sleep. Definitely need a mute button since most parents seem incapable of settling them down.

Restrain him? Seriously? Not my call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why does everyone assume the child has a condition,maybe he's just a spoilt little ****,I definitely would have at least be having a word with the mother,she didn't seem to do too much to calm down her little 'honey', should've locked the two of them in the toilet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Bambi985 wrote: »
    The child obviously has a condition, but if your child is prone to this sort of behaviour surely you'd think twice about subjecting him (and an entire cabin of passengers) to a long-haul flight?

I'd agree. My little lad is 9 and severly autistic. You cannot predict how children with these disabilites will react or behave. My first thoughts are the cabin pressure and ear popping would have drove this liitle ones already bad enough sensory issues crazy.

One thing we have to remember is an autistic or disabled child needs to go from a to b also.

OP the people on this flight had it for 8 hours. The parents have it for a life time.

When we are flying i will notify the airline in advance of my sons issues. I would say there people done the same.

Intervening when an autistic child is having meltdown is a no no. All you can do is restrain. But there will be a lot of noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

TomSweeney wrote: »
    This kid has a bad case of ADHD ... needs medication.

Yes,dose him up on retalin.

Childrens' voices while crying on a plane seem to hit the right rises and drops to prevent sleep. Definitely need a mute button since most parents seem incapable of settling them down.

Restrain him? Seriously? Not my call.

I have noise cancelling headphones that do the trick. Sometimes paired with earplugs for as much silence can be had on a plane.

Definitely should be restrained. I was on a flight only 2 weeks ago where a young chap, maybe less than 4 followed behind his dad to the toilet. A bit of turbulence knocked him into one of the seats.

Imagine what could happen if the plane hit a rough patch and the child was injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

That footage doesn't seem to coincide with the audio.

I would give it about 30mins before I’d go over and put the kid in it’s place. I wouldn’t care what the parents would think, nothing but mollycoddling of the kid in that video.

I’d have the legs bate off me if i tried that in public as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....in 10 yrs time when that monster is in his teens. No way that kid is 4, more like 5 or 6 and should know better. The other passengers were WAY too polite and should have complained to have the little monster restrained and disciplined. What would happen to such a kid in a school or other institution where powerful, unionised staff were present???

All the other passengers should be given compensation for a screwed up flight.

The aircrew should wise up and have the little monster restrained. Mother should be made to answer for her complete negligence as a so-called "responsible adult" or have the child removed from her care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

cisk wrote: »
    I would give it about 30mins before I’d go over and put the kid in it’s place. I wouldn’t care what the parents would think, nothing but mollycoddling of the kid in that video.

I’d have the legs bate off me if i tried that in public as a kid.

Yeh of course you would!! You and your keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can they not eject from the aeroplane in these situations? Put it in the small print or something. I guess give them a parachute if needs be.

Can they not eject from the aeroplane in these situations?

Might be a law against throwing people into the Atlantic.

Might be a law against throwing people into the Atlantic.

Could you be more Pacific?

Could you be more Pacific?

I can sea his point.

Dev84 wrote: »
    Yeh of course you would!! You and your keyboard.

I wouldn’t be sitting on a flight for hours with an out of control kid. A few barks from a stranger is usually enough to quieten down any kid especially when they’re used to going unchallenged ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Now, while I sympatise that maybe the child had autism or similar and all that comes with it, I do feel that maybe the parents should have arranged some kind of medication to get him through the flight and some sensory tools to accompany it - not just for the passengers but for himself, as clearly he was very distressed. He could have injured himself or others and it was unreasonable to ask anyone to sit through that for eight hours.

I feel sorry for the kid and his parents as it seems like he has a disability of some sort. That must travel even more stressful than it already is. But I also feel sympathy with the other passengers, because that's a long flight to sit through with such a disruptive child. And I know you'll get some parents who think everyone should have the patience of an angel when it comes to children, but that's unrealistic, especially in this scenario where it's nonstop for 8 hours. There are no winners here.

I've always said once I have kids flying abroad is off the cards for a while. I would absolutely hate to even bring a baby on a bus or train for an hour because I wouldn't want to put out 40+ people.
    If I had a kid who behaved like that I definitely wouldn't be taking him on a long haul flight without something to calm him down massively.

I can sea his point.

Say hello, wave goodbye.

I wouldn’t be sitting on a flight for hours with an out of control kid. A few barks from a stranger is usually enough to quieten down any kid especially when they’re used to going unchallenged ;)

Or even when they are disabled?

• Advertisement

The kid would probably knock you out.

Or even when they are disabled?

Would clearly have a word with the parent first.

The kid would probably knock you out.

It'd be grand. He could post about knocking the bollocks outta the kid on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I mean... you probably shouldn't video the kid and put it online. Maybe I'm getting soft, but the parents could be in hell with a child with autism and this going viral would be crushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

An unspecified disability - is that what we call bad parenting these days?

Had a short flight back from Spain not so long ago and the baby's cries were almost demonic (couldn't even describe what it sounded like) but it was a baby and didn't hold any grievance against him/her but a frigging 5 year old and the mother just says "calm down honey"

Grayditch wrote: »
    I mean... you probably shouldn't video the kid and put it online. Maybe I'm getting soft, but the parents could be in hell with a child with autism and this going viral would be crushing.

Assuming what you said is accurate (big if) then I would have no sympathy for them in this instance. They made things more miserable than necessary for a load of people stuck in a metal tube knowing beforehand how it would be. Maybe the video going viral would give them a kick up the arse but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

Maybe so, but why would you inflict your hell on 200 other people?
    Hopefully they'll medicate the child or come up with some other solution so this doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kill it with fire would be my level headed approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Grayditch wrote:

Putting a couple hundred people in he'll for 8 hours is acceptable ?

There are no winners here.

Righteous Video Dude is probably basking in likes to be fair.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kill it with fire would be my level headed approach.

Or a load of drugs. Disabled noisy kid....drug it.

The child had to get from A to B also. What medication to people presume is available for a child with those issues? A doctor WILL NOT just prescribe these types of medicine for a child for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why does everyone assume the child has a condition,maybe he's just a spoilt little ****,I definitely would have at least be having a word with the mother,she didn't seem to do too much to calm down her little 'honey', should've locked the two of them in the toilet

It could be a spoilt brat, but he does repeat a screaming jibberish phrase like a mantra I think. (I watched that this morning, not watching again to ascertain :) ).
    And he doesn't seem to interact much.

I do agree with others though, even if the child has special needs, it's not a very wise move to put him in this situation, both for him and others.
    It may be harsh, but having a child with special needs doesn't absolve you of having some consideration for others on board the flight, and the screaming was obviously a coping mechanism for something that must have been an ordeal for him too.
    Maybe in this particular instance a calming drug may have been called for. After all, if your child had a phobia of airplanes and flying was inevitable, you would probably turn to a GP for something to help them through it, why not in this instance ?

The child had to get from A to B also. What medication to people presume is available for a child with those issues? A doctor WILL NOT just prescribe these types of medicine for a child for obvious reasons.

A doctor can and will prescribe a mild sedative for a child in situations such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Says who?

Why is every case automatically considered a disability? Could honestly be sh*tty parenting just as easily. Always a diagnosis to be made. I know your child has autism Dev84 because you've said it. Doesn't mean this kid here has it.

It could be a spoilt brat, but he does repeat a screaming jibberish phrase like a mantra I think. (I watched that this morning, not watching again to ascertain :) ).
    And he doesn't seem to interact much.

I do agree with others though, even if the child has special needs, it's not a very wise move to put him in this situation, both for him and others.
    It may be harsh, but having a child with special needs doesn't absolve you of having some consideration for others on board the flight, and the screaming was obviously a coping mechanism for something that must have been an ordeal for him too.
    Maybe in this particular instance a calming drug may have been called for. After all, if your child had a phobia of airplanes and flying was inevitable, you would probably turn to a GP for something to help them through it, why not in this instance ?

What if the child has an allergic reaction to tje drug at 35000 feet? Im not sure its an option.

The child jas to get from a to b also.

Believe me the parents didnt enjoy this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did anyone try this on the plane I'm wondering?

A doctor can and will prescribe a mild sedative for a child in situations such as this.

What if the child has an allergic reaction the sedatibe at 35000 feet? And no im speaking from experience. Gp's are very reluctant to prescribe anything like this to kids.

Says who?

Why is every case automatically considered a disability? Could honestly be sh*tty parenting just as easily. Always a diagnosis to be made. I know your child has autism Dev84 because you've said it. Doesn't mean this kid here has it.

Im assuming the child does from the behavioural traits. But yes there might not be a disability present

What if the child has an allergic reaction to tje drug at 35000 feet? Im not sure its an option.

You have to build up on sedatives with a child, so if you know you are travelling and require it, your gp prescribes the sedative in a way where they start with a very small dose and build up and then wind down afterwards (I know this because my brother has autism and has required meds like this on a few occassions - I'm talking twice in his life and he's 52.) So very little chance of sponataneous allergic reaction on board - plus airline has to be informed of all this beforehand so will be aware of the situation in case anything happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Assuming what you said is accurate (big if)

Not that big.
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Putting a couple hundred people in he'll for 8 hours is acceptable ?

? No.
    Says who?

Why is every case automatically considered a disability?

It isn't, but what makes one assumption any less valid than another?

I think kids are all ****ing ****e anyway, this kid is just a bit ****ter than others, but it might not be his, or his parents fault.

My issue is with videoing him. That's a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That goes for anyone who takes any kind of drug while flying, children and adults alike, special needs or not. Presumably a GP would not prescribe a drug likely to cause an allergic reaction, or would have the parents running a trial on the ground.

What if a child has stomach problems before a flight, and a GP prescribes a drug to relieve stomach upset before flying ?

Would you let your child suffer with the upset stomach for an 8 hour flight because of possible allergic reaction up there ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement