Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kid causes havoc on flight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why is every case automatically considered a disability? Could honestly be sh*tty parenting just as easily. Always a diagnosis to be made. I know your child has autism Dev84 because you've said it. Doesn't mean this kid here has it.

I have a child on the spectrum also.

Those on the spectrum usually have sensitivity issues to noise touch or general chaos.
    For anybody on that aircraft on the spectrum that would have been a Hellish experience to put up with that kid for eight long hours.

If the kid itself is on the spectrum on not is beside the point the kid should not have been on that flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

I have a child on the spectrum also.

Those on the spectrum usually have sensitivity issues to noise touch or general chaos.
    For anybody on that aircraft on the spectrum that would have been a Hellish experience to put up with that kid for eight long hours.

If the kid itself is on the spectrum on not is beside the point the kid should not have been on that flight.

Which flight should he have been on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why does everyone assume the child has a condition

Because it says so repeatedly in the article linked in the OP. Undoubtedly it was a nightmare for the passengers and crew but that disabled toddler was clearly highly, highly stressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

iguana wrote: »
    Because it says so repeatedly in the article linked in the OP. Undoubtedly it was a nightmare for the passengers and crew but that disabled toddler was clearly highly, highly stressed.

First article says the mother said the boy has ''behavioral problems''. Doesn't say anything about a disability. The second one is the Dailymail and all it gives is a source said.

Dev84 wrote: »

Flying these days is a nightmare for many reasons my legs do be jammed into the seat in front.
    Drunks on flights smelly people you name it.

Nobody is to blame here really I agree but it's a situation that should not be allowed to arise.

The only solution I can think of is having and area on aircraft for people with issues like one of those old train compartments with loads of leg room and a calm environment.

I guess something like that would take up too much space and eat into profits or raise airfares.

I say the child should not have been on the flight but I also grant there was no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jesus Christ. Eight fcuking hours.

200w.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why in the name of Zeus would anyone take a kid like that on a plane - for eight hours? IF the child had a 'disability' that makes that child a danger or a screaming dervish then the parent(s) should not be flying with 'hunny' in the first place. Leave the little darling at home or in care.

It is extremely irresponsible of the parent(s) to force such behaviour on others. The parent(s) made a choice to fly with that child knowing what the childs behaviour was like - the other passengers did not.

And IF the parent(s) had no choice but to fly with this child then its an obligation for them to seek medical intervention for the duration of the flight (and no the Wi-Fi doesn't count) to ensure that the child is not a danger to itself and others.

Personally if I was a passenger on that flight I would be suing the airline for allowing passengers to be placed in potential danger and an evident failure to prevent conditions likley to cause passengers stress. If the airlines are going to facilitate such behaviour by not asking the parent(s) and child to disembark then ultimately they are responsible imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

...but I also grant there was no choice.

Was a choice, either on the flight over or knowing there had to be a return flight

Don't agree with the drugging in any manner - if you need to use drugs then avoid the situation in the first place
    But so many kids are diagnosed incorrectly with ADHD especially in the US that it is almost an excuse to be relied on when a kid acts up
    When I was a kid a short smart slap on the backside and you most certainly shut up which could lead me on to another argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jesus, kids are a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Flying these days is a nightmare for many reasons my legs do be jammed into the seat in front.
    Drunks on flights smelly people you name it.

Nobody is to blame here really I agree but it's a situation that should not be allowed to arise.

The only solution I can think of is having and area on aircraft for people with issues like one of those old train compartments with loads of leg room and a calm environment.

I guess something like that would take up too much space and eat into profits or raise airfares.

I say the child should not have been on the flight but I also grant there was no choice.

Business or first class?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Dev84 wrote:

Private jet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My kid has been on many flights and has sat very quietly colouring in for the duration - so, no, this is not the norm for most parents, thank you very much.

No, just certain kids. Probably several other kids on that flight that were ok.

eeguy wrote: »
    Business or first class?:P

Baggage hold.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

But you can let them act like toerags all the time until they are 18 and get in trouble with the law.

Then they end up either in prison, dead or injured by the police, or in a high security mental hospital when the state takes on the parents role because the real parents are denied the means of parenting.

The PC, Liberal approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't understand the reluctance to use drugs.
    The child is obviously in distress.
    If I know there is a situation that is going to be an ordeal to my child, and that they are likely to be in distress for a sizable chunk of time, I will investigate all avenues and consider a drug if necessary.

If I give an anti-sickness drug to my child before a boat trip, it's not primarily to avoid him getting sick over strangers shoes, although that's a welcome aside, but it is to ensure that the trip may be comfortable enough for him.

There is absolutely no way you could convince me that the trip was comfortable for the child.

Why put yourself in a situation where you need to drug a child - any normal parent (I think/hope) thinks hmmm maybe we shouldn't do that in the first place if it means doping our children so they are more like a vegetable

The child is obviously in distress.
    If I know there is a situation that is going to be an ordeal to my child, and that they are likely to be in distress for a sizable chunk of time, I will investigate all avenues and consider a drug if necessary.

If I give an anti-sickness drug to my child before a boat trip, it's not primarily to avoid him getting sick over strangers shoes, although that's a welcome aside, but it is to ensure that the trip may be comfortable enough for him.

There is absolutely no way you could convince me that the trip was comfortable for the child.

Forget 'distress' - that child is a danger to itself and also to the safety of others. Reason enough for medical intervention by the parents. And if they don't wish to give their child drugs then they have the option of not flying with the child and getting him appropriate care. Allowing a child to act out like for eight hours is completely irresponsible imo.

doolox wrote: »
    But you can let them act like toerags all the time until they are 18 and get in trouble with the law.

Then they end up either in prison, dead or injured by the police, or in a high security mental hospital when the state takes on the parents role because the real parents are denied the means of parenting.

The PC, Liberal approach.

doolox wrote: »
    Then they end up either in prison, dead or injured by the police, or in a high security mental hospital.

Boy, that really escalated quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why put yourself in a situation where you need to drug a child - any normal parent (I think/hope) thinks hmmm maybe we shouldn't do that in the first place if it means doping our children so they are more like a vegetable
    Oh I get that alright, and i agree, but there could be scenarios where flying is close to unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

He was sitting and standing on top of the seats banging the roof in the middle of the flight.

That is a safety risk to him and other passengers.

Irrespective of what is wrong with him, he should not be allowed threaten other passengers safety.

I also can’t believe the other passengers were so polite.

It was really torture for them. His mother did not seem bothered, throwing in a few calm down hunny now and again..,and in the mean time he’s banging on the roof.

Oh I get that alright, and i agree, but there could be scenarios where flying is close to unavoidable.

Situations that only arose since mass transit flight was available? People managed before this very recent development.

Flying is a not a right and if you can't control your child they shouldn't be on the plane. The specifics aren't important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love when people wheel out the “he could be special needs”. He certainly could be but that doesn’t mean him and his parents have special treatment to the detriment of everyone else. You can expect some degree of noise on a public flight but that’s unacceptable and they shouldn’t have been allowed fly with him behaving like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The assumption that he has sn is crap.
    Even kids with sn can behave and patents of kids witj sn could actually do something about their behaviour.
    No one should have to put up with that much noise for any length of time

fritzelly wrote:

So maybe don't fly with your kid whom you know will behave in this manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone ever noticed these days that kids are never BOLD they just have autism or adhd

shamrock55 wrote:
    Anyone ever noticed these days that kids are never BOLD they just have autism or adhd

That kid on the plane was not bold, he was a fcuking demon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anewme wrote: »
    He was sitting and standing on top of the seats banging the roof in the middle of the flight.

That is a safety risk to him and other passengers.

Irrespective of what is wrong with him, he should not be allowed threaten other passengers safety.

I also can’t believe the other passengers were so polite.

It was really torture for them. His mother did not seem bothered, throwing in a few calm down hunny now and again..,and in the mean time he’s banging on the roof.

Meh! That was every day on my school bus for 6 years.

People are too sensitive. Stick on headphones and get on with yeer lives.

Headlines: kid goes nuts, people surprised.

Right ok then. How is 'hunny' since the flight? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

shamrock55 wrote: »

I'm amazed at the amount of kids these days that have behavioural disorders. What has happened in the world to cause all these disorders. Is it something in the water or the air or the food? Or is it just **** parents? Even 10 years ago there weren't these numbers but now any time a kid acts up, its a behavioural disorder :rolleyes: Bull****! Discipline your child.

Now before people lose their **** at me for being insensitive, yes I know that autism, ADHD, aspergers etc. real and a struggle for the people and the families involved. I just believe that probably 90% of the time that people claim that's the reason for their child being a brat is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And there we have it folks. The attitude that creates kids that can’t behave themselves

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think the Mothers nonchalant attitude is more irritating than the kid.

She needs a boot up the hole imo.

xzanti wrote: »
    I think the Mothers nonchalant attitude is more irritating than the kid.

She needs a boot up the hole imo.
    Yeah I just can't understand that. I was on a plane with a woman with a kid. Now I could question giving an under 1 year old sugary drinks and lollipops, but she gave a **** at least. She tried to soothe her when the kid cried, bit of singing to her etc. She'd look not-quite-embarrassed when the kid cried but I'd give her a bit of a smile. Also me pulling faces at the kid seemed to help. :P I just hate the attitude of "Oh well, if I'm suffering so can everyone else". Baby crying next to ya on a plane is really annoying but it really takes the edge off to see the parent worried about annoying others and trying to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

And there we have it folks. The attitude that creates kids that can’t behave themselves

Naw my kids are fine on flights. Other's aren't, So what, the world keeps turning, if an annoying child is the worst of your problems then you need bigger problems.

I don't know that kid btw so I don't know how my attitude created it:confused: ...But I'd like to see you show me the link.

Hold on... you think I'm in the classroom with a layout of a plane, "Now kids you'll be screaming at this volume and heading in these directions, there will be a nonchalant parent accompanying you, PAY NO ATTENTION".

if an annoying child is the worst of your problems then you need bigger problems.

8 solid hours of non stop screaming in a confined shared space that you can't do anything about is torturous. We could all have bigger problems. The first thing doesn't have to relate to the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Dev84 wrote: »
    The child had to get from A to B also.

You said that a number of times but why? The vast majority of flights do not need to be taken. Barring emigrating the child does not have to be on a flight and even at that every effort should be made to reduce the suffering of the child and other passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Used to travel a lot for work and would dread when I was stuck beside a child who you could tell would start a tantrum and mess. A lot of the times as you said parents would say or do nothing.

However sometimes you would be pleasantly surprised, mostly it was all good for me the occasional bad egg. Remember there were two that I will never forget and it reminded me of the intellectual child OP mentioned in his post.

So by the point I had gotten on the aircraft I was beyond tired and just wanted to sleep on the flight back. I took my usual aisle seat at the back. The plane was filling up and no sign of the people sitting beside me so was getting happy with idea I would have the row to myself. Then two children (I would say the boy was around 6 and the girl 3) walked up to me. I know it's wrong to be prejudice but I'll admit I was cursing my luck assuming it would be two fighting children beside me for the whole flight (something I experienced recently before with two sisters, where one would like to wallop the other then start crying to her parents and try lie that she was the one who actually got hit).

Then the boy kind of waved at me and came out with "Sorry sir, our seats are beside you could we get by please?". I was thrown back with how polite and articulate he was, I felt terrible for even assuming they'd be brats. Jumped out of my seat (hurriedly and overly polite as if I was trying to impress them for some strange reason) and let them by me and of course they thanked me for doing so. Before the flight had taken off I overheard the brother comforting his sister, who looked a little nervous, telling her how he was there for her and to be brave. During the flight they were the most well-behaved also.

What I describe may seem as simple or normal gestures for many reading but I was just so taken back how these two children no older than 6-7 were more well mannered than most adults I've dealt with in airports. It was outstanding parenting and explains why they felt comfortable not having at least one parent with them, like you would normally see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would have sought solace in about 8 miniature bottles of Remy Martin and past out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I got on a flight to the UK with my 2 young kids and before take off 1 started kicking off which set the other one off which ended up the 2 of the being hysterical. I got off the plane. I was mortified. The Ryanair staff were absolutely lovely. We didn't fly again for about 5 years.
    My daughter has autism (wasn't diagnosed at the time). Responsible parents of sn kids put a phenomenal amount of work with their kids before flying to manage their childs distress and noise levels. There are social stories ad nauseum before the flight. A bag of activities and bribes. Downloaded games and movies on the iPad. There is also sedation in certain cases - I don't know why this is an issue. I know a number of nervous fliers who are given valium before flights to reduce distress.
    In this video (short, I know) the parents don't seem to have made any prep to help this child while flying. That is really inexcusable especially if the child does have sn.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would have sought solace in about 8 miniature bottles of Remy Martin and past out.

They probably would have reprimanded you for drunkenness. While little Damien danced on your head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't imagine it's likely for a neurotypical toddler to scream non-stop for 8 hours like that. Most kids would exhaust themselves in the first hour or two and fall asleep. For him to have stayed awake like that means he was highly, highly distressed. As for what the mother did or didn't do, that's a minutes long video of an 8 hour flight, perhaps there was significant intervention from the mother and flight crew but that just wasn't filmed as it didn't suit the narrative of the man filming it. We don't know either way but I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone based on 1% of their behaviour during a prolonged, stressful event.

There are also documented cases of children who have the complete opposite reaction to Phernagan, the medication most routinely given to small children as a sedative on flights. It's possible the mother knew he was likely to have a melt-down, tried to medically sedate him and ended up in an even worse situation as a result. We don't know. We also don't know why they were flying. Perhaps they were at a funeral or travelling for medical treatment. Perhaps it was a first flight or a first return flight and this meltdown caught them off guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was on the Luas when a woman got on with two children and one of them was having a massive meltdown and keep it up all the way into town. It was very distressing to listen to the mother seem embarrassed she only intervened when the girl started hitting her sister. It was then I realized the child must be autistic or some other disorder because the sister who was being hit looked both sad and resigned. It must be so difficult to take a child who is going to get distressed anywhere but what are parents options never go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

That child jumping about on the top of the seats could have landed on top of an old or disabled person if the flight lurched and injured him and them.

The mother would have been the first to stick in a claim if hunny fell.

He was a danger to himself and other passengers.

The crew should have made sure he was removed from the top of the seats in the interests of safety.

Your attitude is reckless and irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

dennispenn wrote: »
    Yes,dose him up on retalin.
    Roundup maybe! :D

Seriously though I would love it if every second or third flight was booked on a strictly adults-only basis, as a way to avoid having to spend an extended period in close proximity to feral brats and their indifferent parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

cisk wrote: »
    I would give it about 30mins before I’d go over and put the kid in it’s place. I wouldn’t care what the parents would think, nothing but mollycoddling of the kid in that video.

You would in your hoop. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You weren't on a schoolbus for 8 hours with no escape.

I don't know what this childs history or medical condition is and if I'm honest I really wouldn't care if I had to suffer 8 hours of that.

I was on a flight once with two grandparents beside me with a child that wouldn't sit down for take off. The air hostess had to ask at least 10 times and eventually did say they would have to get off the flight if they couldn't get the child to sit. It's a safety issue.

Bear in mind that the grandparents did nothing to make the child sit down but ask her!!!

They got really stressed when they where told they'd have to get off so in as nice a way as possible I said "look, I know what it's like, I've 3 children of my own and you're trying to be nice Grandparents but you're going to have to just hold her there for take-off, you've no other option". They did and she fell asleep after half an hour, happy days.

Children sometimes just can't be given a choice on whether or not they do something, end of.

People are saying here that it's okay if the child has autism but what about an adult on that plane who may have autism as well, imagine the suffering they endured?

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Roundup maybe! :D

Seriously though I would love it if every second or third flight was booked on a strictly adults-only basis, as a way to avoid having to spend an extended period in close proximity to feral brats and their indifferent parents.

I'd pay extra for an adult only flight.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Used to travel a lot for work and would dread when I was stuck beside a child who you could tell would start a tantrum and mess. A lot of the times as you said parents would say or do nothing.

However sometimes you would be pleasantly surprised, mostly it was all good for me the occasional bad egg. Remember there were two that I will never forget and it reminded me of the intellectual child OP mentioned in his post.

So by the point I had gotten on the aircraft I was beyond tired and just wanted to sleep on the flight back. I took my usual aisle seat at the back. The plane was filling up and no sign of the people sitting beside me so was getting happy with idea I would have the row to myself. Then two children (I would say the boy was around 6 and the girl 3) walked up to me. I know it's wrong to be prejudice but I'll admit I was cursing my luck assuming it would be two fighting children beside me for the whole flight (something I experienced recently before with two sisters, where one would like to wallop the other then start crying to her parents and try lie that she was the one who actually got hit).

Then the boy kind of waved at me and came out with "Sorry sir, our seats are beside you could we get by please?". I was thrown back with how polite and articulate he was, I felt terrible for even assuming they'd be brats. Jumped out of my seat (hurriedly and overly polite as if I was trying to impress them for some strange reason) and let them by me and of course they thanked me for doing so. Before the flight had taken off I overheard the brother comforting his sister, who looked a little nervous, telling her how he was there for her and to be brave. During the flight they were the most well-behaved also.

What I describe may seem as simple or normal gestures for many reading but I was just so taken back how these two children no older than 6-7 were more well mannered than most adults I've dealt with in airports. It was outstanding parenting and explains why they felt comfortable not having at least one parent with them, like you would normally see.

Where were the parents, thought you had to travel with your kids, not dump them on someone else lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement