Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kid causes havoc on flight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

it mightn't be very classy but its very accurate

It’s both unclassy and, based on what I’ve seen, inaccurate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The child in the video clearly is not just a normal kid who’s nothing but a brat.

Judgy wudgy was a bear.
    What do you expect from a child who’s clearly rearing himself? Because his mother sure as sh1t isn’t doing much of a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Most modern day passengers are only too well aware that they are at risk of being accused of air piracy if they cause any disruption over the unacceptable behaviour of another passenger. If this scenario played out in any other public area such as a bus or train where there was plenty of alternatives such as the next bus, a taxi or a walk you can be sure that the disruptive passenger would be kicked off and made walk. No such choice on an airplane. Hence the reason most of the passengers were compliant and sheepish during the flight. They should never fly Lufthansa again for the bad handling of this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It’s both unclassy and, based on what I’ve seen, inaccurate. :)

seems pretty accurate to me.

that child is an out of control wild animal.
    whats causing that is irrelevant and hope he get the correct help but

the mother is doing nothing to solve the problem , all she is doing is ignoring the problem. maybe she is at her wits end and out of her depth . again that is irrelevant

What do you expect from a child who’s clearly rearing himself? Because his mother sure as sh1t isn’t doing much of a job

That still in no way justifies calling the child a gobsh1te, especially as there is clearly have a developmental issue (a child who is just bold would eventually tire themselves out). It’s a child, FFS. Will you listen to yourself?

That still in no way justifies calling the child a gobsh1te, especially as there is clearly have a developmental issue (a child who is just bold would eventually tire themselves out). It’s a child, FFS. Will you listen to yourself?
    The child’s behaving like a gobsh1te. Don’t want people thinking your kids a gobsh1te? Prepare for a long haul flight and discipline him. No point in you getting bent out of shape with me over my observations, take it up with his mother

The child’s behaving like a gobsh1te. Don’t want people thinking your kids a gobsh1te? Prepare for a long haul flight and discipline him. No point in you getting bent out of shape with me over my observations, take it up with his mother

Tbh, someone calling a baby a gobsh1te says more about them. You’re right, there IS nothing that can be done about somebody who would call about a baby such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tbh, someone calling a baby a gobsh1te says more about them. You’re right, there IS nothing that can be done about somebody who would call about a baby such a thing.

He is far from a baby

fritzelly wrote: »
    He is far from a baby

Oh, I’m sorry, child with obvious issues. That really changes things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Despite knowing for sure that I would be stressed out on that flight my heart goes out to the child . He is clearly very stressed , terrified and out of control . We have no idea if this child has sensory issues and reacting to an assault on his senses . Blocked ears for example could terrify a child with a sensory problem . We have no clue what is in this litlle boys brain but terror is a horrible thing to see in anyone . Just try and imagine being in fear , terrified and no idea why you feel your head is about to explode .
    If you really feel the need to throw insult at someone then spare it for the adults who collectively found no solution for this in 8 hours

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Despite knowing for sure that I would be stressed out on that flight my heart goes out to the child . He is clearly very stressed , terrified and out of control . We have no idea if this child has sensory issues and reacting to an assault on his senses . Blocked ears for example could terrify a child with a sensory problem . We have no clue what is in this litlle boys brain but terror is a horrible thing to see in anyone . Just try and imagine being in fear , terrified and no idea why you feel your head is about to explode .
    If you really feel the need to throw insult at someone then spare it for the adults who collectively found no solution for this in 8 hours

+1

The lack of compassion is astounding.

He was acting the sh1tevbefore the plane left the ground and his mother was trying to pawn it off on the air hostess not having the WiFi on. They should have been booted off let him scream to his hearts content at home

what could the rest of the people do .
    its the mothers job to control the child
    its the staffs job to control the passengers

+1

The lack of compassion is astounding.

where is your compassion for the maybe 100 other people that had this inflicted on them.

I see the child is still being diagnosed on teh internet how's that going

If the passengers on the flight have to "get over" the brat then I'm sure he will just have to "get over" being called a little bollix on a message board.

what could the rest of the people do .
    its the mothers job to control the child
    its the staffs job to control the passengers

I am not sure to be honest but collectively maybe they could have come up with something . There must have been people with games on an I pad or something to distract . I don't know what but anything is worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I would be certifiable after that flight. I nearly cried watching the video. The only thing worse than the demonic screams was the mother's "calm down honey". It's not working you bint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah I don't think it was the responsibility of other passengers to do anything in that situation, when the mother herself wasn't intervening.

But I feel sorry for the child alright, he's obviously in pain/distress, and the Mum doing nothing ?

I am not sure to be honest but collectively maybe they could have come up with something . There must have been people with games on an I pad or something to distract . I don't know what but anything is worth a try

I wouldn't dream of going near a child or mother like that. you would be asking for trouble. she doesn't give a **** when the brat is jumping all over the place but she will go full on mental case as soon as you try to get him to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I am not sure to be honest but collectively maybe they could have come up with something

Duct tape would have been a start

Of course next time he tries to open the emergency exit door the mother will be "Ahh shure he just wanted to go out and play"

I've no idea if the kid has SN or not, all I know is that it looks like he has and sounds like he has and acts like he has so I'll go ahead and assume he has.

It would be torture to endure that for hours on end and I don't blame any passenger to feels like they've been on the flight from hell, it's a hellish situation, but it's no picnic for the kid either.

It's not fair to call him names, he's just a kid and if he hasn't got SN, then the failings still aren't his - they're his parents. He's just a tot.

Yeah I don't think it was the responsibility of other passengers to do anything in that situation, when the mother herself wasn't intervening.

But I feel sorry for the child alright, he's obviously in pain/distress, and the Mum doing nothing ?

I don't think it was others responsibility but I think to save my sanity and my husbands I would have tried to find a solution for my own sake . Yes the Mum seemed useless but in a situation like that it would be better for all if maybe a solution was at least tried by others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Four simple words from earlier in the thread.

Kill.

It.

With.

Fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Candie wrote: »

It's not fair to call him names, he's just a kid and if he hasn't got SN, then the failings still aren't his - they're his parents. He's just a tot.

It's grand, he can't read.

The idea that the other people- none of whom are responsible for any disturbance- should be mollified by a line like "I'm sure the mother isn't enjoying it either" or "the child isn't having any fun" is staggeringly point-missing.

They are causing the problem. For everyone else. Nobody gives a wet sh1te how they feel about it while they are making it such a nightmare for everyone else. That's why you put adults in charge of situations.

Out the windy with the pair of em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I doesn't even matter. The kid handed himself in when they landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well big news story there "kid acts unacceptably"
    So whatcha gonna do?
    Light Twitter on fire.

To be honest, if you skip to 1:50 on the video on the Daily Mail link, I'm not saying I'd be overly proud of it, but if I were in arms length when that screech went off I think I'd instinctively have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, pulled his face all of 2 inches from mine, and roared full pelt over and over into his face until he broke down crying or someone pulled me/him apart.

I get he's a kid, I get that the responsibility is on the adult, but I can't say that would change it. That screech right in my ear would probably have been my breaking point.

The idea that the other people- none of whom are responsible for any disturbance- should be mollified by a line like "I'm sure the mother isn't enjoying it either" or "the child isn't having any fun" is staggeringly point-missing.

They are causing the problem. For everyone else. Nobody gives a wet sh1te how they feel about it while they are making it such a nightmare for everyone else. That's why you put adults in charge of situations.

Out the windy with the pair of em.
    I don't get it either, I rarely got hit as a kid but when you're 5 your parents should know how to scare the utter bejaysus out of you just with their 'really p*ssed off' tone of voice.

where is your compassion for the maybe 100 other people that had this inflicted on them.

They’ll be fine. After the flight, they get to walk away.

Candie wrote: »
    I've no idea if the kid has SN or not, all I know is that it looks like he has and sounds like he has and acts like he has so I'll go ahead and assume he has.

It would be torture to endure that for hours on end and I don't blame any passenger to feels like they've been on the flight from hell, it's a hellish situation, but it's no picnic for the kid either.

+1
    Billy86 wrote: »
    To be honest, if you skip to 1:50 on the video on the Daily Mail link, I'm not saying I'd be overly proud of it, but if I were in arms length when that screech went off I think I'd instinctively have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, pulled his face all of 2 inches from mine, and roared full pelt over and over into his face until he broke down crying or someone pulled me/him apart.

You would in your hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

One of the passengers should have grabbed the child and violently forced their fist down the childs throat, choking it to death. A few missing teeth and split lips at the open casket wouldn't be such a big deal.

That would teach the parents the next time they have a child. Everyone wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't think it was others responsibility but I think to save my sanity and my husbands I would have tried to find a solution for my own sake . Yes the Mum seemed useless but in a situation like that it would be better for all if maybe a solution was at least tried by others

I see what you mean, and I probably would have wanted to do the same, then again if indeed the child has SN (it's pretty much obvious to me, like others said, no neurotypical kid can go on that long with a tantrum), the chances of a stranger finding a solution to the melt-down are slim.

You would in your hoop.
    I'd certainly hope I wouldn't, but that's the exact type of thing to make me snap after a long while of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Travel isn’t always avoidable though. In that case, what’s the alternative? A days or weeks long journey by ship or over land in a car? That would probably be much harder.

The alternative is you put some effort into meeting some general basic level of behaviour that's acceptable in the confines of an aircraft cabin or feck off......why should dozens of people have to put up with hours of what was shown in that video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I need a young priest and an old priest, the power of Christ compels you!! ;)

Jawgap wrote: »
    The alternative is you put some effort into meeting some general basic level of behaviour that's acceptable in the confines of an aircraft cabin or feck off......why should dozens of people have to put up with hours of what was shown in that video?
    That's the thing, my sister has very high special needs but there is absolutely no way that carry on would have been tolerated on a flight as kids, or even in general. Who knows how they are generally, but on that flight the mother showed ridiculously bad parenting skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That's the thing, my sister has very high special needs but there is absolutely no way that carry on would have been tolerated on a flight as kids, or even in general. Who knows how they are generally, but on that flight the mother showed ridiculously bad parenting skills.

I've a lot of sympathy for the mother/parent but to my mind you can't just shrug your shoulders and say that's the way the kid is and expect everyone to simply put up with it......for hours!!

Got on a flight a few years ago to find that a note had been left on our seats explaining that a kid who had pre-boarded had intellectual impairments and would in all probability be terrified by the flight......yes, despite the best efforts of the parents (and the cabin crew) the child endured a bit of an ordeal and cried and screamed for nearly 2 hours of the flight - the note had been left by the parents, it was a nice touch and at least it showed some empathy for their fellow travellers. Personally, despite the noise, I really appreciated the gesture and it certainly made me more sympathetic towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Some people are saying that sometimes travel is unavoidable. I can only think of two reasons its unavoidable; work and a medical emergency. If its work then she shouldn't be taking the kid and I can't think of an emergency medical procedure that they do in the States that can't be done in Europe. If she knows that her kid has issues that might cause him to freak out being in a plane and she can't control him, then the kid shouldn't be flying. Simple.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've a lot of sympathy for the mother/parent but to my mind you can't just shrug your shoulders and say that's the way the kid is and expect everyone to simply put up with it......for hours!!

Got on a flight a few years ago to find that a note had been left on our seats explaining that a kid who had pre-boarded had intellectual impairments and would in all probability be terrified by the flight......yes, despite the best efforts of the parents (and the cabin crew) the child endured a bit of an ordeal and cried and screamed for nearly 2 hours of the flight - the note had been left by the parents, it was a nice touch and at least it showed some empathy for their fellow travellers. Personally, despite the noise, I really appreciated the gesture and it certainly made me more sympathetic towards them.
    Absolutely, and when it's a kid wailing in terror like that poor child on your flight (same reason being beside an infant on a flight can be torture but there really isn't much that can be done) it's entirely different to a kid screaming and screeching, running up and down the aisles and literally climbing over the back of seats like they were in a playground.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Some people are saying that sometimes travel is unavoidable. I can only think of two reasons its unavoidable; work and a medical emergency. If its work then she shouldn't be taking the kid and I can't think of an emergency medical procedure that they do in the States that can't be done in Europe. If she knows that her kid has issues that might cause him to freak out being in a plane and she can't control him, then the kid shouldn't be flying. Simple.

LOTS of people travel to the US for medical treatment you can’t get in Europe, usually more experimental stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

I reckon that kid is a school shooter in the making.

deandean wrote: »
    I reckon that kid is a school shooter in the making.

That, or an upper business management type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

LOTS of people travel to the US for medical treatment you can’t get in Europe, usually more experimental stuff.

Ok. I'll take your word for that. However I don't think that brat was travelling for a potentially lifesaving, experimental treatment so therefore he didn't need to travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ok. I'll take your word for that. However I don't think that brat was travelling for a potentially lifesaving, experimental treatment so therefore he didn't need to travel.

I'd say about 99% of people don't need to travel.
    They can go to university or take a job where they live. Family and friends abroad? Skype 'em. Going somewhere for medical reasons or a concert?
    No need for it. See your local doctor and buy the DVD of the concert. Want to see dem foreign parts? There are many excellent documentaries that one could watch without ever having to leave their house.
    Why does anyone ever travel anywhere? When you really look down into it, it's mostly selfish things like the above.
    So if people feel that travel is too stresful to handle, why don't they all stay home? OK, if an oilrig has caught fire and the only person in the world who can put out the fire (most likely by the name of Buck Savage or something like that) is thousands of miles away, fair enough, that person DOES need to travel.
    So the problem is, someone on their holibobs, does he/she really need to go there? More than someone traveling with a special needs child? Do we know why they travel? And finally, is it up to us if that person has a right to travel?
    Of course if we get pissed off at another passenger on a plane, we cen go on an internet forum and piss and moan about it, but in the end, ultimately, that person has a right to travel, as much as anyone else.
    And I hope that never changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Are they suffering from ptsd from a screaming child?

What was the reason for the travel?

Absolutely, and when it's a kid wailing in terror like that poor child on your flight (same reason being beside an infant on a flight can be torture but there really isn't much that can be done) it's entirely different to a kid screaming and screeching, running up and down the aisles and literally climbing over the back of seats like they were in a playground.

Personally I don't think that kid was having 8 hours of 'fun'.
    I haven't heard any laughter in the clip.

I get he's a kid, I get that the responsibility is on the adult, but I can't say that would change it. That screech right in my ear would probably have been my breaking point.

So you'd obviously empathise then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4693086/amp/Mum-accused-killing-autistic-son-says-knife.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-13987435

They can go to university or take a job where they live. Family and friends abroad? Skype 'em. Going somewhere for medical reasons or a concert?
    No need for it. See your local doctor and buy the DVD of the concert. Want to see dem foreign parts? There are many excellent documentaries that one could watch without ever having to leave their house.
    Why does anyone ever travel anywhere? When you really look down into it, it's mostly selfish things like the above.
    So if people feel that travel is too stresful to handle, why don't they all stay home? OK, if an oilrig has caught fire and the only person in the world who can put out the fire (most likely by the name of Buck Savage or something like that) is thousands of miles away, fair enough, that person DOES need to travel.
    So the problem is, someone on their holibobs, does he/she really need to go there? More than someone traveling with a special needs child? Do we know why they travel? And finally, is it up to us if that person has a right to travel?
    Of course if we get pissed off at another passenger on a plane, we cen go on an internet forum and piss and moan about it, but in the end, ultimately, that person has a right to travel, as much as anyone else.

An excellent point.

• Advertisement

Of course they should have a right to travel, but that doesn't negate that they should take some responsibility for the behaviour of their children and look for them to not climb on the backs of peoples chairs and scream full volume in strangers ears for 8 hours on end. If your child acted like that for hours on end in a shop you'd be asked to leave, but it doesn't take away your right to go shopping.

Advertisement