Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kid causes havoc on flight

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Kid causes havoc on flight lasting 8 hours, thread about Kid causing havoc on flight lasts for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What was the reason for the travel?

I believe she was travelling to lecture at a parenting conference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

They should have had the skills and knowledge to pacify or restrain the child if the mother was patently unable to do so. This represents an edge condition where the child was not seen as a damaging or deadly threat to anyone. You can bet your life if it was an adult hitting people the crew would have the means to restrain the attacker and the plane would land somewhere at once, even if a u turn was needed.

The demon kid was just enough of a nuisance to be left to continue the flight with his completely incompetent mother but not a violent threat to either the plane or it occupants.

I hope the capt and 1st officer were made aware of this outrage and that the operating manager was also made aware of the situation.

The remainder of the passengers should press for compensation for this flight from hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

drillyeye wrote: »
    One of the passengers should have grabbed the child and violently forced their fist down the childs throat, choking it to death. A few missing teeth and split lips at the open casket wouldn't be such a big deal.

That would teach the parents the next time they have a child. Everyone wins.

Leaving aside the ridiculous hyperbole of the opening paragraph - I think the point from the second paragraph is that they shouldn't have had a child in the first place if that is their normal standard of parenting ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow.

Violence to solve a 'child problem'... here's what you said
    if I were in arms length when that screech went off I think I'd instinctively have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, pulled his face all of 2 inches from mine, and roared full pelt over and over into his face until he broke down crying or someone pulled me/him apart.

Violence to solve a 'child problem'... here's what you said
    Like I said, it's not something I would plan to do or be proud of, but if an unexpected screech goes off right behind me ear it definitely give me a big fright, could set me off to grab the child and roar back. Everyone has something to make them lose their temper, and that's probably the #1 type of thing to lose mine. Were we talking about generally, and not the child appearing inches behind my earlobe and screaming demonically at that absurd volume while catching me completely off guard and scaring the sh*te out of me, I would not do that - but would probably be inclined to talk to the mother at some point.

That's what instinctive is - an instant reaction without any conscious thought.

I don't know how you're trying to equate that to stabbing the child multiple times or strangling them to death, as humans don't breath out the backs of their necks. You might as well equate pushing back when someone is repeatedly shove you out of a queue with turning around and shooting them in the face multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've been bringing my children on flights from a very early age (6 weeks old). We've taken 4 hour plus fights to Tenerife etc. Most of the time they're quiet but obliviously sometimes there have been meltdowns and tantrums.

The comfort of other passengers would be the furthest thing from my mind during these episodes. It certainly doesn't stop us from taking our 2 weeks in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

That could have been my grandson. He is a special needs kid and his behaviour is out of control. I have often thought that he needs sedation. He is eight now and I think he may have improved somewhat. I really don't like taking him out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I've been bringing my children on flights from a very early age (6 weeks old). We've taken 4 hour plus fights to Tenerife etc. Most of the time they're quiet but obliviously sometimes there have been meltdowns and tantrums.

The comfort of other passengers would be the furthest thing from my mind during these episodes. It certainly doesn't stop us from taking our 2 weeks in the sun.

I just wonder by the same token would it be ok with you if your kids comfort would be the furthest thing on the other passengers mind ? Then in my opinion its a matter of consideration on both sides that is the kindest .
    We were on a flight recently and the little kid beside us had just fallen asleep on a seat . I wouldnt dream of going to the loo until he had had a little nap and we didnt have to wake him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

What a ****ty attitude.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What a ****ty attitude.
    Do not feed. ;)

What a ****ty attitude.

Well whatcha expect the parent to do? Keep em at home and never go out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

And we all wondered where Damo’s Daddy was in all this,

Tenerife obviously .....

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just wonder by the same token would it be ok with you if your kids comfort would be the furthest thing on the other passengers mind ? Then in my opinion its a matter of consideration on both sides that is the kindest .

They seem like the sort of parent that would go mental if the passenger sitting near their little angel (angle :D) was watching something with graphic violence or sex scenes. Or if two adults were having a conversation that included some foul language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Article states that the Mother was American, but not confirmed. As an American, I'm completely unsurprised, American parenting's gone in the toilet in the last generation. Kids are out of control, making all decisions and the parents ignore them but ferociously defend their misbegotten spawn should you try to curtail their behavior at all.

Like I said, it's not something I would plan to do or be proud of, but if an unexpected screech goes off right behind me ear it definitely give me a big fright, could set me off to grab the child and roar back. Everyone has something to make them lose their temper, and that's probably the #1 type of thing to lose mine.

Jeez a kid in distress would be your no. 1 ... think you might need to check yer anger management skills

Were we talking about generally, and not the child appearing inches behind my earlobe and screaming demonically at that absurd volume while catching me completely off guard and scaring the sh*te out of me, I would not do that - but would probably be inclined to talk to the mother at some point.

Bit of a backtrack from your previous inclination...

if I were in arms length when that screech went off I think I'd instinctively have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, pulled his face all of 2 inches from mine, and roared full pelt over and over into his face until he broke down crying or someone pulled me/him apart.
    That's what instinctive is - an instant reaction without any conscious thought.

So that's your defence for attacking a child!
    I don't know how you're trying to equate that to stabbing the child multiple times or strangling them to death, as humans don't breath out the backs of their necks. You might as well equate pushing back when someone is repeatedly shove you out of a queue with turning around and shooting them in the face multiple times.

Violence is violence.
    Both your declared impulsive reaction and the above infanticides are violent responses to a child's problems.

But ya, you've decided to be 'inclined to talk to the mother at some point' now, so ya ,fair enough.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Article states that the Mother was American, but not confirmed. As an American, I'm completely unsurprised, American parenting's gone in the toilet in the last generation. Kids are out of control, making all decisions and the parents ignore them but ferociously defend their misbegotten spawn should you try to curtail their behavior at all.

Well for all we know then the mother could be AIeut-Inuk... but not conformed.

BTW every generation declares the younger generation as being out of control.

Jeez a kid in distress would be your no. 1 ... think you might need to check yer anger management skills
    No, extremely high decibel and high pitch, sudden and unexpected screams coming from somewhere I cannot see is what would do it. That's the type of thing that sets off an instinctive reaction.
    Bit of a backtrack from your previous inclination...
    No it's not.
    So that's your defence for attacking a child!
    No I covered that earlier in the post. You seem to be under the impression that I'm proudly declaring "I'd show that kid what for!" despite me pointing out, multiple times now, including in my original post that you have quoted a number of times now, that is not what I am saying at all.
    Violence is violence.

Both your declared impulsive reaction and the above infanticides are violent responses to a child's problems.
    Both pushing someone back who keeps shoving you, and shooting them in the face 5 times are too. You already knew this, but pushing someone and shooting them in the face five times are not the same thing.
    But ya, you've decided to be 'inclined to talk to the mother at some point' now, so ya ,fair enough.
    Yeah, exactly. If the child were acting the bollocks I would try to ignore it. If it became impossible I would take it up with the mother whom the blame ultimately rests with her. As I have already said, and as you have chosen to ignore despite quoting the post where I initially said as much multiple times. However if the child turn caught me off guard, directly from behind, with a wailing screech out of nowhere... I'm could see myself possibly screaming back before thinking.

Still, you seem to agree the mother was fine to let the child go around as they did for hours on end just... because. Which is frankly ridiculous. What would your point be at which you think the mother should have tried to get their child to behave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

However if the child turn caught me off guard, directly from behind, with a wailing screech out of nowhere... I'm could see myself possibly screaming back before thinking.

I'd be more worried about having you on a flight with me than a badly behaved child tbh.

• Advertisement

I believe the elderly members of the NRA have an ongoing program to sort that problem out, 17 at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No, extremely high decibel and high pitch, sudden and unexpected screams coming from somewhere I cannot see is what would do it. That's the type of thing that sets off an instinctive reaction.

No it's not.

No I covered that earlier in the post. You seem to be under the impression that I'm proudly declaring "I'd show that kid what for!" despite me pointing out, multiple times now, including in my original post that you have quoted a number of times now, that is not what I am saying at all.

Both pushing someone back who keeps shoving you, and shooting them in the face 5 times are too. You already knew this, but pushing someone and shooting them in the face five times are not the same thing.

Yeah, exactly. If the child were acting the bollocks I would try to ignore it. If it became impossible I would take it up with the mother whom the blame ultimately rests with her. As I have already said, and as you have chosen to ignore despite quoting the post where I initially said as much multiple times. However if the child turn caught me off guard, directly from behind, with a wailing screech out of nowhere... I'm could see myself possibly screaming back before thinking.

Still, you seem to agree the mother was fine to let the child go around as they did for hours on end just... because. Which is frankly ridiculous. What would your point be at which you think the mother should have tried to get their child to behave?

I would be the same.
    I would take a huge amount of crap before I would break but when it would happen I probably would tell the kid and its mother where to go and to shut up and be respectful . it would take a lot but would drive me insane .

the point I snap is so far beyond what's exactable behaviour that most people would say fair play for holding it together so long.
    I wouldn't get violent or physical in any way but would be afraid of what I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Look at what they turn into then at adolescence and early adulthood.

Self entitled, immature brats who are incapable of hearing the word no or having people disagree with them. Totally unsuited to the big bad world their parents shielded them from.

Well whatcha expect the parent to do? Keep em at home and never go out?

No but it's not too much to ask to have your kids behave.

No but it's not too much to ask to have your kids behave.

Yes it is, if they have behavioural problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

cnocbui wrote: »

Not it isn't. If they have behavioral problems, here's a suggestion: Don't take them on airplanes. Take a boat, or, better still, stay home. If you HAVE a kid it will impact your choices.

Well, unless you're a modern american parent and don't give a fcuk, which this one apparently did.

You're not entitled to let your kid do wtf it pleases just because you have a wanty.

I see a subtle thing now in Ireland that really impresses me. When you go to the market, the small Irish children hold on to the shopping cart or mom or dad's basket, when they walk through the store.

The American kids don't - you can usually tell by the accents, and it certainly seems a regular event, that the kids having meltdowns in the store, aren't Irish kids. On the street, the Irish kids hold hands with the parents. The American kids (o.k., this is a tourist area), free-range.

It's that b.s. self-esteem crap peddled by the pathetic failing American education system and their joke of an organized Education system. Here's a clue - not every snowflake needs to have their esteem enhanced. Sometimes, they need to sit quietly and behave to earn privileges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Not it isn't. If they have behavioral problems, here's a suggestion: Don't take them on airplanes. Take a boat, or, better still, stay home.

Oh yes, let's take them on an even longer journey (significantly longer). That's a great solution.

Not it isn't. If they have behavioral problems, here's a suggestion: Don't take them on airplanes. Take a boat, or, better still, stay home. If you HAVE a kid it will impact your choices.

Well, unless you're a modern american parent and don't give a fcuk, which this one apparently did.

You're not entitled to let your kid do wtf it pleases just because you have a wanty.

I see a subtle thing now in Ireland that really impresses me. When you go to the market, the small Irish children hold on to the shopping cart or mom or dad's basket, when they walk through the store.

The American kids don't - you can usually tell by the accents, and it certainly seems a regular event, that the kids having meltdowns in the store, aren't Irish kids. On the street, the Irish kids hold hands with the parents. The American kids (o.k., this is a tourist area), free-range.

It's that b.s. self-esteem crap peddled by the pathetic failing American education system and their joke of an organized Education system. Here's a clue - not every snowflake needs to have their esteem enhanced. Sometimes, they need to sit quietly and behave to earn privileges.

Well, as a parent of a child with Aspergers, all I can say is drop dead you selfish, self entitled low life.

cnocbui wrote:

No it's not, you plan and provide activities to interest the child.

• Advertisement

I disagree . As a parent you surely must assess if your child needs extra help , extra distraction , extra provisions for his needs . The child looked so stressed and so upset and so frightened , no child should be put in that situation in my opinion . His parent should have provided for his special needs in my opinion

No it's not, you plan and provide activities to interest the child.
    I disagree . As a parent you surely must assess if your child needs extra help , extra distraction , extra provisions for his needs . The child looked so stressed and so upset and so frightened , no child should be put in that situation in my opinion . His parent should have provided for his special needs in my opinion

Out of interest, how many years experience of dealing with children with behavioural problems do you have, as the basis for your 'advice/opinions'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Grayditch wrote: »
    I mean... you probably shouldn't video the kid and put it online. Maybe I'm getting soft, but the parents could be in hell with a child with autism and this going viral would be crushing.

I disagree. Hopefully the parents will have seen the video and it will be a deterrent from bringing the monster on planes until they know he will behave.
    It might be just what they need.

Out of interest, how many years experience of dealing with children with behavioural problems do you have, as the basis for your 'advice/opinions'?

Lots

Lots

Really? So can you please suggest the means of 'distraction' and 'extra provision' you think would negate an Aspergers melt-down in full flight?

I only have 22 years of it so, I'm keen to get some pointers.

cnocbui wrote:

You would assume parent knows their own child and what will work.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote:
    Really? So can you please suggest the means of 'distraction' and 'extra provision' you think would negate an Aspergers melt-down in full flight?

You diagnosing a child from a 4 minute video? I'm impressed...not really b.s..

You would assume parent knows their own child and what will work.

This is why I asked what expertise you had; you see, I still don't know what 'works', other than to back off and let it run it's course, which is exactly the course of action you experts would find so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lol at running it’s course to include climbing over people in seats. I think there’s an increased need for parenting classes

I only have 22 years of it so, I'm keen to get some pointers.

Try Valium. Lots of it. Everyone is happy.

Advertisement