Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical cert

Options
  • 16-02-2018 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

hi folks, when my electrician got reci electrical completion certificate for the rewire of our house, he commented on how he had to hide one set of electrical plug sockets on the landing upstairs from the inspector/tester. why would this be, i cannot understand? and more importantly does this cause any danger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did you not ask him why ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

i did, and 6 months later have yet to hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 21,729 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wonder if it's location could be such so that if anything was plugged in to it, it would create a trip hazard at the top of the stairs meaning someone could fall down them?

Ah that could be it 'tell me how'. Thanks for that.

It is quite at bit away from top of stairs but perhaps it is written somewhere in the electrical code that no plug sockets can be installed on an upstairs landing.

Can anybody confirm if this is the case?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is permitted to install a socket on a landing.

There are a great many reasons why your sockets may not comply with the regulations. If it were my house I would insist on knowing why. Some reasons I would consider unimportant others are critical, if your electrician is any good it is the former. Either way there is little point in speculation as there are endless possibilities :)

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    It is permitted to install a socket on a landing.

There are a great many reasons why your sockets may not comply with the regulations. If it were my house I would insist on knowing why. Some reasons I would consider unimportant others are critical, if your electrician is any good it is the former. Either way there is little point in speculation as there are endless possibilities :)
    thanks '2011'for reply. As you mention this could very likely be critical, and I cannot reach my electrician, I shall have to get an expert in to inspect urgently. Any idea how much this might cost? It seems like such a small thing, one set of sockets, but might he have to spend a couple of hours examining the 'endless possibilities'? Thanks, frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It could be that their are 1 or 2 sockets too many on the circuit when the landing ones are included. 10 per radial circuit allowed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

...or they could be mounted an inch too low (not that big a deal) or the socket may have no earth (a much bigger deal).
    It could be anything......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Probably more than 5 twin sockets on a radial circuit.

evosteo wrote: »
    Probably more than 5 twin sockets on a radial circuit.
    Each twin is a single point.

• Advertisement

...or they could be mounted an inch too low (not that big a deal) or the socket may have no earth (a much bigger deal).
    It could be anything......

It could, if they make a habit of installing landing sockets to a different set of criteria to bedroom ones.

But yes, the possibilities are many.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It could, if they make a habit of installing landing sockets to a different set of criteria to bedroom ones.

Yup.

We already know that this is the case, hence the reason for hiding them from the inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Bruthal wrote: »
    Each twin is a single point.

Is a single socket not count as 1 point and a twin socket count as 2??

As far as I thought I knew 10 twins on ring circuits and 5 twins on radial??

Just counted 11 sockets in total upstairs (counting doubles as one),hence why I suspect this was hidden,to make some inspector think there was the 10. One switch on board manages them all as flicked switch to check. Thanks for help folks. Unless I'm mistaken this is not a major issue. I'm sure enough it's radial circuit not ring circuit also.

If that is the only thing wrong I wouldn’t be too concerned.
    However it is possible that there are other issues.
    Hard to tell from here :D

Yup.

We already know that this is the case, hence the reason for hiding them from the inspector.
    Well we don't know that really. There is a fair difference between installing the landing sockets incorrectly, and just having one or two too many sockets on the circuit.

Advertisement