Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language Act in the North: Have Sinn Fein scored a major own goal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

3. All participants recognise the importance of respect, understanding and
    tolerance in relation to linguistic diversity, including in Northern Ireland,
    the Irish language, Ulster-Scots and the languages of the various ethnic
    communities, all of which are part of the cultural wealth of the island of
    Ireland.
    4. In the context of active consideration currently being given to the UK
    signing the Council of Europe Charter for Regional or Minority
    Languages, the British Government will
    in particular in relation to the Irish language, where appropriate and where people so desire it:
    • take resolute action to promote the language;
    • facilitate and encourage the use of
    the language in speech and writing in
    public and private life where th
    ere is appropriate demand;
    • seek to remove, where possible, restrictions which would discourage or work against the maintenance or
    development of the language;
    • make provision for liaising with the Irish language community, representing their views to publicauthorities and investigating
    complaints;
    • place a statutory duty on the Department of Education to encourage and
    facilitate Irish medium education inline with current provision for integrated education;
    • explore urgently with the relevant British authorities, and in co-operation with the Irish broadcasting authorities, the scope for achieving more
    widespread availability of Teilifis na Gaeilige in Northern Ireland;
    • seek more effective ways to encourage and provide financial support for Irish language film and television production in Northern Ireland; and

The Irish Language is afforded special treatment in the Good Friday Agreement.
    The Ulster Scots dialect is not.

The Shinners are merely trying to implement the GFA.
    Whether they are going about it the right way is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Rodin wrote: »
    The Shinners are merely trying to implement the GFA. Whether they are going about it the right way is another matter.

Not just SF elected reps but every elected rep except those in the DUP/UUP. I haven't a word of Irish and have become interested in it and learned a lot about it since this issue has arisen albiet via the medium of English.

I recently learned how descriptively rich Gaelic/Irish place names are. I was fairly apathetic about the language but I'm now looking at night-classes for beginners, all thanks to this becoming a totemic issue.

I can only imagine the effect this hibernophobia is having on young people living in the north who have had an aspect of their heritage mocked, sneered at, and been subject to petty behaviour by unionists.

Well done the DUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not just SF elected reps but every elected rep except those in the DUP/UUP. I haven't a word of Irish and have become interested in it and learned a lot about it since this issue has arisen albiet via the medium of English.

I recently learned how descriptively rich Gaelic/Irish place names. I was fairly apathetic about the language but I'm now looking at night-classes for beginners, all thanks to this becoming an totemic issue.

I can only imagine the effect this hibernophobia is having on young people living in the north who have had an aspect of their heritage mocked, sneered at, and been subject to petty behaviour by unionists.

Well done the DUP.

Curry my yoghurt....

While sectarianism and bigotry is tolerated at the highest levels, N.Ireland will never be sorted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I am neither defending or supporting it either. I am just repeating what SF themselves say about it.

Fine: then Sinn Féin are saying something that's self-evidently untrue, and you're mindlessly parroting it. You've had ample opportunity to argue the actual point and chosen not to.
    charlie14 wrote: »
    Are you advocating that, especially in constituencies where the majority favour abstentionism, voters should either abstain from voting or spoil their vote because they feel nobody is representing their wishes and have someone elected to represent them that is contrary to their wishes ?

Maybe you should try reading my posts before replying to them, because I didn't advocate anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Fine: then Sinn Féin are saying something that's self-evidently untrue, and you're mindlessly parroting it. You've had ample opportunity to argue the actual point and chosen not to.

What is 'untrue' about it?

Pedantically you are probably right, if you ignore the reality. :rolleyes:

What is 'untrue' about it?

The bit where you claim not to want to interfere in a country's parliament, but then stand for election to that parliament. That's a self-evidently contradictory stance.

I'm not trying to explain quantum mechanics to you here, Francie. Your attempt to feign slack-jawed ignorance does you no credit.

The bit where you claim not to want to interfere in a country's parliament, but then stand for election to that parliament. That's a self-evidently contradictory stance.

And that is precisely what I call being pedantic.

And that is precisely what I call being pedantic.
    Oh, please. Would it kill you to admit that Sinn Féin said something that's not true? Are you really that slavish a disciple?

There are defences of abstentionism that aren't stupid. The claim that it's to avoid interfering in a foreign parliament is so self-evidently stupid that you really ought to be ashamed of trying to defend it.

Oh, please. Would it kill you to admit that Sinn Féin said something that's not true? Are you really that slavish a disciple?

There are defences of abstentionism that aren't stupid. The claim that it's to avoid interfering in a foreign parliament is so self-evidently stupid that you really ought to be ashamed of trying to defend it.

:D Oscar, you are being pedantic.
    We all know what it means pedantically, but that in effect, they will not interfere in the running of another country by sitting in it's parliament making decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Maybe you should try reading my posts before replying to them, because I didn't advocate anything at all.

I did, and your point appears to be that you believe SF should not put candidates forward for election to Westminster if they are not prepared to take their seats.

Feel free to correct me if I took you up wrong, but is that not what you are advocating ?

I did, and your point appears to be that you believe SF should not put candidates forward for election to Westminster if they are not prepared to take their seats.

Feel free to correct me if I took you up wrong, but is that not what you are advocating ?

Yes, one could say that they are only interfering in who gets to parliament and not 'parliament' itself, if one wanted to be painfully pedantic.

Yes, one could say that they are only interfering in who gets to parliament and not 'parliament' itself, if one wanted to be painfully pedantic.

True, but I have a feeling the hole attempting to be avoided is who in such cases gets to take seats in a parliament, and how representative of their constituents views they are.

:D Oscar, you are being pedantic.
    We all know what it means pedantically, but that in effect, they will not interfere in the running of another country by sitting in it's parliament making decisions.
    I'm sorry, but if you're going to carefully hand-craft a definition of some English language words in a desperate attempt not to be wrong, it's a bit rich to describe the act of reading the words at face value as pedantic.

If that's what my point appears to be, then maybe you should spend less time reading between the lines and just read what I wrote.

I'll save you the trouble of reading my posts by repeating myself: I'm not advocating anything. I'm pointing out that it is self-evidently untrue to claim not to be interfering in a country's parliament if you're standing for election to that parliament. That's not a judgement on the merits of abstentionism; it's pointing out that Sinn Féin's excuse for it is a stupid one.
    One could say all sorts of things if one were determined not to admit the possibility that Sinn Féin said something stupid. But if you've denied anyone who voted for another candidate any representation in Parliament, and at the same time are piously claiming not to want to interfere in that Parliament, that's quite simply two-faced.

Once again: if they want to abstain, fine. If people want to elect people who won't represent them, fine. That's not what I'm arguing about. I'm arguing against the idea that deliberately keeping seats in Parliament unoccupied isn't interfering in that Parliament.

I know you're not going to agree with me, because I'm arguing against the Holy Scripture of An Phoblacht, which clearly means that Sinn Féin are speaking ex cathedra. But you don't get to call me a pedant just because I don't subscribe to the same twisted logic.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to carefully hand-craft a definition of some English language words in a desperate attempt not to be wrong, it's a bit rich to describe the act of reading the words at face value as pedantic.

If that's what my point appears to be, then maybe you should spend less time reading between the lines and just read what I wrote.

I'll save you the trouble of reading my posts by repeating myself: I'm not advocating anything. I'm pointing out that it is self-evidently untrue to claim not to be interfering in a country's parliament if you're standing for election to that parliament. That's not a judgement on the merits of abstentionism; it's pointing out that Sinn Féin's excuse for it is a stupid one.

One could say all sorts of things if one were determined not to admit the possibility that Sinn Féin said something stupid. But if you've denied anyone who voted for another candidate any representation in Parliament, and at the same time are piously claiming not to want to interfere in that Parliament, that's quite simply two-faced.

Once again: if they want to abstain, fine. If people want to elect people who won't represent them, fine. That's not what I'm arguing about. I'm arguing against the idea that deliberately keeping seats in Parliament unoccupied isn't interfering in that Parliament.

I know you're not going to agree with me, because I'm arguing against the Holy Scripture of An Phoblacht, which clearly means that Sinn Féin are speaking ex cathedra. But you don't get to call me a pedant just because I don't subscribe to the same twisted logic.

By the strict rule of Oscar's language laws they are wrong.

That alright?

In reality, they are not interfering in the running of other jurisdictions/countries.

In reality, they are not interfering in the running of other jurisdictions/countries.

In a Sinn Féin slavish disciple's reality, maybe.

It really is impossible to argue against religious zealotry.

• Advertisement

In a Sinn Féin slavish disciple's reality, maybe.

It really is impossible to argue against religious zealotry.

:rolleyes: Really? Religious zealotry? :):) Despite my belief that interfering in how people get elected to parliament is not actually interfering in the running of parliament itself?

...my belief that interfering in how people get elected to parliament is not actually interfering in the running of parliament itself?
    Oh, OK. So it's morally wrong to interfere in the running of parliament, but it's morally acceptable to interfere in parliamentary elections? We're transitioning from mere religious zealotry to full-on Jesuitry now.

You'll have to accept that not everyone subscribes to the Gospel According to Sinn Féin, and not everyone is going to jump through the rhetorical hoops you've carefully crafted in order to avoid the unforgivable heresy of disagreeing with them.

I made the point simply earlier on, and I'll repeat it: if I don't want to interfere in the parliament of a sovereign country, I can achieve that very simply by not running in that country's parliamentary elections.

I'll save you the trouble of reading my posts by repeating myself: I'm not advocating anything. I'm pointing out that it is self-evidently untrue to claim not to be interfering in a country's parliament if you're standing for election to that parliament. That's not a judgement on the merits of abstentionism; it's pointing out that Sinn Féin's excuse for it is a stupid one..

I read your post and read nothing between the lines.
    The particular line that caught my attention was :

"They are denying parliamentary representation to the people who voted for other candidates in their constituencies".

SF clearly state that the will not take seats in a Westminster parliament.
    Their constituents elect them on that understanding so therefore are they not representing the wishes of their constituents!

So what exactly are you saying?
    SF should not stand for election on a principle that is the wishes of their constituents , or that if elected they should drop that principle and take their seats ?

Oh, OK. So it's morally wrong to interfere in the running of parliament, but it's morally acceptable to interfere in parliamentary elections? We're transitioning from mere religious zealotry to full-on Jesuitry now.

You'll have to accept that not everyone subscribes to the Gospel According to Sinn Féin, and not everyone is going to jump through the rhetorical hoops you've carefully crafted in order to avoid the unforgivable heresy of disagreeing with them.

I made the point simply earlier on, and I'll repeat it: if I don't want to interfere in the parliament of a sovereign country, I can achieve that very simply by not running in that country's parliamentary elections.

And by doing that you will achieve nothing for constituents that wish to protest a foreign country interfering in what they see as their country.

Of course if you wish to deny that there is a 100 year old problem with partition on this island and that we have some kind of normal society in northern Ireland, knock yourself out.

The particular line that caught my attention was :

"They are denying parliamentary representation to the people who voted for other candidates in their constituencies".

SF clearly state that the will not take seats in a Westminster parliament.
    Their constituents elect them on that understanding so therefore are they not representing the wishes of their constituents!
    You do know that not everyone votes for Sinn Féin, right? You know that some people would actually like to have a representative in Parliament, and as such vote for candidates who would take their seats if elected?

You further realise that Westminster has single-seat constituencies, which means that every constituency with a Sinn Féin MP has no representative in Parliament?
    So what exactly are you saying?
    SF should not stand for election on a principle that is the wishes of their constituents , or that if elected they should drop that principle and take their seats ?
    For someone who claims to be reading my posts, I'm not sure why you're demanding an answer to a question that's orthogonal to my points.

I'll repeat myself again, in the hope that it sinks in this time:

I'm not arguing the merits or otherwise of abstentionism.

Got it?

I'm. Not. Arguing. The. Merits. Of. Abstentionism.

I'm making the point that you can't stand for election to a parliament, and claim not to want to interfere in that parliament. Well, you can, but it's not true.

If you want to discuss the actual point I'm making, feel free. I disagree with Francie, but at least he's doing me the courtesy of discussing what I'm saying. If you want to do the same, feel free, but if you want to continue to argue off on a tangent, do us both a favour and don't bother.

• Advertisement

And by doing that you will achieve nothing for constituents that wish to protest a foreign country interfering in what they see as their country.
    Absolutely! So, if you want to protest by interfering in a parliamentary election - by altering the arithmetic of Parliament in sometimes interesting ways - by denying representation to your political opponents - then you have a case for abstentionism.

But be honest about it and admit that what you're doing is deliberately running interference in that country's parliamentary processes. Piously declaring that abstentionism is about not wanting to interfere is a stupid own-goal - it's self-evidently untrue, at least to anyone who isn't prepared to tie themselves in rhetorical knots.
    Of course if you wish to deny that there is a 100 year old problem with partition on this island and that we have some kind of normal society in northern Ireland, knock yourself out.

I would never dream of arguing that there's anything remotely normal about Northern Ireland. And, as I'm getting tired of repeating, this isn't about my views on abstentionism; it's about Sinn Féin's self-serving lies about it.

Absolutely! So, if you want to protest by interfering in a parliamentary election - by altering the arithmetic of Parliament in sometimes interesting ways - by denying representation to your political opponents - then you have a case for abstentionism.

But be honest about it and admit that what you're doing is deliberately running interference in that country's parliamentary processes. Piously declaring that abstentionism is about not wanting to interfere is a stupid own-goal - it's self-evidently untrue, at least to anyone who isn't prepared to tie themselves in rhetorical knots.

I would never dream of arguing that there's anything remotely normal about Northern Ireland. And, as I'm getting tired of repeating, this isn't about my views on abstentionism; it's about Sinn Féin's self-serving lies about it.

Oscar, they do not want to interfere in the running of 'other' jurisdictions.

They are only intefereing in their own jurisdiction. Not in parliament itself.

Oscar, they do not want to interfere in the running of 'other' jurisdictions.

They are only intefereing in their own jurisdiction. Not in parliament itself.

If that's the Jesuitical distinction it takes for you to convince yourself that Sinn Féin's position makes sense, knock yourself out. Nobody else is buying the theory that it's morally wrong to interfere in a country's parliament, but perfectly OK to interfere in its parliamentary elections.

You do know that not everyone votes for Si Féin, right? You know that some people would actually like to have a representative in Parliament, and as such vote for candidates who would take their seats if elected?

You further realise that Westminster has single-seat constituencies, which means that every constituency with a Sinn Féin MP has no representative in Parliament? For someone who claims to be reading my posts, I'm not sure why you're demanding an answer to a question that's orthogonal to my points.

I'll repeat myself again, in the hope that it sinks in this time:

I'm not arguing the merits or otherwise of abstentionism.

Got it?

I'm. Not. Arguing. The. Merits. Of. Abstentionism.

I'm making the point that you can't stand for election to a parliament, and claim not to want to interfere in that parliament. Well, you can, but it's not true.

If you want to discuss the actual point I'm making, feel free. I disagree with Francie, but at least he's doing me the courtesy of discussing what I'm saying. If you want to do the same, feel free, but if you want to continue to argue off on a tangent, do us both a favour and don't bother.

I am well aware that Westminster constituencies are single seat and that in seven of those constituencies the wishes of the majority is that they do not wish to be represented in Westminster.
    That is how democracy works.
    It represents the wishes of the majority.
    It is not a pick-and-choose where a minority get to represent a constituency unrepresentative of the wishes of their constituents.

You can do all the singing and dancing around that you like, but it is not going to change the facts

If that's the Jesuitical distinction it takes for you to convince yourself that Sinn Féin's position makes sense, knock yourself out. Nobody else is buying the theory that it's morally wrong to interfere in a country's parliament, but perfectly OK to interfere in its parliamentary elections.

Those parliamentary elections take place in and effect the disputed territory, not in Scotland, Wales and England etc.

Again, you are just simply being painfully pedantic without bringing the Jesuits into it.

That is how democracy works.
    It represents the wishes of the majority.

We've seen how well that definition of democracy has worked in Northern Ireland throughout the 20th century.

Those parliamentary elections take place in and effect the disputed territory, not in Scotland, Wales and England etc.
    Those parliamentary elections are for the Parliament of the United Kingdom. In the last election, the seats not taken came within a whisker of affecting the balance of power. In a future election, the balance of power could be a number of seats smaller than the number that Sinn Féin refuse to fill.

Now, in those circumstances, I'm sure Sinn Féin would continue to insist that they were not interfering in Parliament, and I'm sure you would continue to obediently parrot the Gospel. Would it be true? Of course not.

Those parliamentary elections are for the Parliament of the United Kingdom. In the last election, the seats not taken came within a whisker of affecting the balance of power. In a future election, the balance of power could be a number of seats smaller than the number that Sinn Féin refuse to fill.

Now, in those circumstances, I'm sure Sinn Féin would continue to insist that they were not interfering in Parliament, and I'm sure you would continue to obediently parrot the Gospel. Would it be true? Of course not.

That has been the way since partition. Again, here is the 'gospel' in the words of SF themselves:
    But even if the oath was removed and I was an MP, I would still not take my seat.

Even if Britain was a republic, I would still not take my seat.

Even if I held the balance of power and could get through bits and pieces of legislation (while flattering myself as to the magnitude of my importance), I would still not take my seat.

For me, it is quite simple: How can I object to Britain interfering in Irish affairs if I go over and interfere in theirs?

We've seen how well that definition of democracy has worked in Northern Ireland throughout the 20th century.

Well I haven`t seen in any of your posts an alternative that would better represent the wishes of the majority in a constituency.

Well I haven`t seen in any of your posts an alternative that would better represent the wishes of the majority in a constituency.

In truth, in a 100 years of partition I have never seen the policy of abstentionism treated in such a pedantic way.
    A tribute to boards there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

That has been the way since partition. Again, here is the 'gospel' in the words of SF themselves:
    I think that's a quote from Danny Morrison.
    It sheds some light on the thinking. Interesting to note that the oath of allegiance is not really the barrier at all.
    Its more about refusing to participate in an illegitimate foreign "partitionist" parliament in Westminster.
    He also says...
    I am in the business of building a new society in Ireland out of the two states which currently exist. To do that I need to win over a significant body of support from the unionist community as well as winning over people in the South who have lived for a century under successive partitionist governments who have never acted in truly national terms.
    When/if a UI does finally come into being (again) SF will triumphantly declare that they never recognised the legitimacy of either the 26 county state, or the "occupied" 6 counties.

But in the meantime there is a bit of cherry picking going on. They will quite happily draw salaries and expenses from both parliaments, and occupy seats in Dublin. While leaving the interests of NI severely under-represented politically at Westminster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

recedite wrote: »
    I think that's a quote from Danny Morrison.
    It sheds some light on the thinking. Interesting to note that the oath of allegiance is not really the barrier at all.
    Its more about refusing to participate in an illegitimate foreign "partitionist" parliament in Westminster.
    He also says...
    When/if a UI does finally come into being (again) SF will triumphantly declare that they never recognised the legitimacy of either the 26 county state, or the "occupied" 6 counties.

But in the meantime there is a bit of cherry picking going on. They will quite happily draw salaries and expenses from both parliaments, and occupy seats in Dublin. While leaving the interests of NI severely under-represented politically at Westminster.

Your point sort of contradicts itself, in that as SF are sitting in the Dail they are actually legitimising it just by doing that.
    By using your logic then they shouldn't be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is a lot of inconsistency involved in their positions alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How many SF seats were won with a majority?

In four of the seven constituencies that SF won a seat, the majority voted for parties that wished to take their seats in Westminister. In another of the seven, we are facing a by-election. That means only two of the current SF MPs were elected in seats where the majority voted for abstention.

Surely SF should bow to the wishes of the majority of people in Northern Ireland, and the majority of the constituencies that elected them and take their seats in Westminister?

After all, you are the one who is suggesting that the wishes of the majority in a constituency should be respected.

Nice shifting of the goalposts there.

Oscar is right when he points out the hypocrisy of Sinn Fein in running for election and denying representation to those who want it.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Nice shifting of the goalposts there.

Oscar is right when he points out the hypocrisy of Sinn Fein in running for election and denying representation to those who want it.

How can you be 'hypocritical' when you do what you say you are gonna do?

You have been voting for FG FF Greens etc for too long there!

It is hypocritical to state that you don't want any part in running a foreign country and then stand for elections to the parliament of that foreign country.

Hypocrisy plain and simple.

It is hypocritical to state that you don't want any part in running a foreign country and then stand for elections to the parliament of that foreign country.

Hypocrisy plain and simple.

They are standing for election in their own country though. They dispute the legitimacy of the British to run it.

And here is what you said was hypocritical. (moving goalposts did you say? :))

blanch152 wrote:
    the hypocrisy of Sinn Fein in running for election and denying representation to those who want it.

How many SF seats were won with a majority?

In four of the seven constituencies that SF won a seat, the majority voted for parties that wished to take their seats in Westminister. In another of the seven, we are facing a by-election. That means only two of the current SF MPs were elected in seats where the majority voted for abstention.

Surely SF should bow to the wishes of the majority of people in Northern Ireland, and the majority of the constituencies that elected them and take their seats in Westminister?

After all, you are the one who is suggesting that the wishes of the majority in a constituency should be respected.

Your take on democracy is becoming either more bizarre or more desperate.

Using your analogy how many TD`s in Dail Eireann represent the majority wises of the majority of there constituents by getting more number one votes than the rest of the constituency candidates combined ?

Constituencies for the Westminster Parliament are single seat constituencies elected by the first past the post system.
    He/she that gets the most votes, wins the seat.
    You may not like it, but that is the democratic system used.

If you are suggesting Westminster elections should be held under the PR system, I`m not sure there would be much solace in that system for you. Possibly less in fact considering the results of the last Assembly elections.
    In the Assembly election the DUP won 38 out of 108 seats (35%) under the PR system.
    In the Westminster election the DUP won 10 of 18 seats (51%) under the first past the post system.

I imagine the DUP are more than delighted with the first past the post system for Westminster elections

• Advertisement

Your take on democracy is becoming either more bizarre or more desperate.

Using your analogy how many TD`s in Dail Eireann represent the majority wises of the majority of there constituents by getting more number one votes than the rest of the constituency candidates combined ?

Constituencies for the Westminster Parliament are single seat constituencies elected by the first past the post system.
    He/she that gets the most votes, wins the seat.
    You may not like it, but that is the democratic system used.

If you are suggesting Westminster elections should be held under the PR system, I`m not sure there would be much solace in that system for you. Possibly less in fact considering the results of the last Assembly elections.
    In the Assembly election the DUP won 38 out of 108 seats (35%) under the PR system.
    In the Westminster election the DUP won 10 of 18 seats (51%) under the first past the post system.

I imagine the DUP are more than delighted with the first past the post system for Westminster elections

Why is there this constant fallacy for the defenders of all things Sinn Fein that if someone is against Sinn Fein, then they must also be for the DUP?

The fact that the DUP won 10 out of 18 under the first past the post system and that SF won 7 of the others is the biggest reason to get rid of it. Both of them are sectarian political parties unfit for a modern democracy. You know well that is my view.

Your post also brings to mind another aspect of the SF hypocrisy. Since the Brexit referendum, we have heard ad nauseun from SF about how the result in the North should be respected because a majority voted for Brexit, yet here I am being told that the fact that a majority want their political representatives to take their seats in Westminister shouldn't be repsected.

I shouldn't be surprised I suppose.

They are standing for election in their own country though. They dispute the legitimacy of the British to run it.

And here is what you said was hypocritical. (moving goalposts did you say? :))

Thank you for the backhanded compliment.

In defending the hypocrisy of Sinn Fein on the representation and majority view issue, you are equating my own personal hypocrisy (in your opinion) with that of Sinn Fein, rather than explaining why Sinn Fein isn't hypocritical.

In the long list of SF whataboutery, "what about the anonymous internet poster who is just as bad?" ranks right up there.

Sinn Fein are standing for election to the British parliament, not the Stormont Assembly. If Sinn Fein only ran candidates for the Stormont Assembly and refused to run candidates for the British parliament in Westminister, then there would be nothing hypocritical about their stance. Unfortunately, like most politicians, the snouts in the trough argument wins out each time.

Why is there this constant fallacy for the defenders of all things Sinn Fein that if someone is against Sinn Fein, then they must also be for the DUP?

The fact that the DUP won 10 out of 18 under the first past the post system and that SF won 7 of the others is the biggest reason to get rid of it. Both of them are sectarian political parties unfit for a modern democracy. You know well that is my view.

Your post also brings to mind another aspect of the SF hypocrisy. Since the Brexit referendum, we have heard ad nauseun from SF about how the result in the North should be respected because a majority voted for Brexit, yet here I am being told that the fact that a majority want their political representatives to take their seats in Westminister shouldn't be repsected.

You want a political party to not do what they have plainly and transparently said they would do.
    That makes you the hypocrite here, nobody else.

The Brexit referendum was 'a referendum' by the way. Think about that.

Thank you for the backhanded compliment.

In defending the hypocrisy of Sinn Fein on the representation and majority view issue, you are equating my own personal hypocrisy (in your opinion) with that of Sinn Fein, rather than explaining why Sinn Fein isn't hypocritical.

In the long list of SF whataboutery, "what about the anonymous internet poster who is just as bad?" ranks right up there.

Sinn Fein are standing for election to the British parliament, not the Stormont Assembly. If Sinn Fein only ran candidates for the Stormont Assembly and refused to run candidates for the British parliament in Westminister, then there would be nothing hypocritical about their stance. Unfortunately, like most politicians, the snouts in the trough argument wins out each time.

My answer above will do for this ^^ re-hash of the same old same old.

You want a political party to not do what they have plainly and transparently said they would do.
    That makes you the hypocrite here, nobody else.

The Brexit referendum was 'a referendum' by the way. Think about that.

That is not what I am asking or saying.

What I am pointing out is that the mere act of standing for parliament and not taking seats is hypocritical, especially when the majority of people in Northern Ireland want their representatives to take their seats.

The fact that Sinn Fein are standing up and sticking to their hypocritical stance is neither here nor there. It is their stance that is hypocritical, not the fact they stick to it.

What I am pointing out is that the mere act of standing for parliament and not taking seats is hypocritical, especially when the majority of people in Northern Ireland want their representatives to take their seats.

The fact that Sinn Fein are standing up and sticking to their hypocritical stance is neither here nor there. It is their stance that is hypocritical, not the fact they stick to it.

If people want representation in parliament, then they have to elect somebody who says they will take their seats. That they don't all get behind a candidate to ensure that is not SF's fault or problem.
    SF are clear that they won't.

Are you suggesting they should change after being mandated not to?

You are all over the shop here.

• Advertisement

All i know of your views is that virtually regardless of the subject under discussion you have to somehow attempt to wedge SF into the discussion.

I do not know where "the fact that a majority want their political representatives to take their seats in Westminster shouldn`t be respected" comes from.
    SF stood on a mandate of not taking their seats in Westminster and were elected under that mandate.
    Whereas the DUP who actually took their seats are supporting Brexit when a majority in Northern Ireland voted to remain.
    But you somehow refuse to recognise the DUP hypocrisy.

I shouldn`t be surprised I suppose.

All i know of your views is that virtually regardless of the subject under discussion you have to somehow attempt to wedge SF into the discussion.

I do not know where "the fact that a majority want their political representatives to take their seats in Westminster shouldn`t be respected" comes from.
    SF stood on a mandate of not taking their seats in Westminster and were elected under that mandate.
    Whereas the DUP who actually took their seats are supporting Brexit when a majority in Northern Ireland voted to remain.
    But you somehow refuse to recognise the DUP hypocrisy.

I shouldn`t be surprised I suppose.

Classic whataboutery.

I haven't been asked about the DUP hypocrisy, neither is this thread about DUP hypocrisy but yes, the DUP are hypocritical in their stance on Brexit and if you want to start a thread on it, I will say that there and there won't be anyone on the DUP thread arguing night and day that the DUP are not hypocritical.

However, none of that makes Sinn Fein any less hypocritical. Is it not possible to actually debate the merits and demerits of something that Sinn Fein do, without dragging the DUP/British/FG/Unionists/Protestants/partitionists/anonymous internet posters into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

recedite wrote: »
    While leaving the interests of NI severely under-represented politically at Westminster.

How? How would:

7 SF/IRA TAKE THEIR SEATS IN BRITISH PARLIAMENT

How would 7 'IRA' MP's in Westminster have any more influence than SF already does via local government in the north, national parliament in Ireland and an MEP in Europe? If anything it would help shore up the Tories as per this point you've ignored.

444616.png

Classic whataboutery.

I haven't been asked about the DUP hypocrisy, neither is this thread about DUP hypocrisy but yes, the DUP are hypocritical in their stance on Brexit and if you want to start a thread on it, I will say that there and there won't be anyone on the DUP thread arguing night and day that the DUP are not hypocritical.

However, none of that makes Sinn Fein any less hypocritical. Is it not possible to actually debate the merits and demerits of something that Sinn Fein do, without dragging the DUP/British/FG/Unionists/Protestants/partitionists/anonymous internet posters into it?

You never explained how it is 'hypocritical' to do something you said plainly and clearly to all concerned that you would do.

You never explained how it is 'hypocritical' to do something you said plainly and clearly to all concerned that you would do.

I think I explained my views here. I didn't say what you think I said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement