Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language Act in the North: Have Sinn Fein scored a major own goal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭jh79

Just because you see the word 'legitimacy' in the GFA and you know the meaning of it, does not mean what you think it does.

Here it is again:

WHere does that say they 'recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland'.

Exactly! It doesn't say that at all. :rolleyes:
    "
    "recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority"

The choices are, british rule, irish rule or an independent state. All are legitimate if that is the will of the majority and by signing the GFA recognised all options as legitimate.

"Whatever choice" is the key phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    "
    "recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority"

The choices are, british rule, irish rule or an independent state. All are legitimate if that is the will of the majority and by signing the GFA recognised all options as legitimate.

"Whatever choice" is the key phrase.

They simply did not.

The recognised the legitimacy of the majority to choose.

They didn't recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland. You simply cannot shoehorn that in there, because it isn't there.

That is the wet dream of those who dream about SF capitulating on everything they believe in.

The Republican party has always refused to take its seats and vote in Parliament because it will not swear allegiance to the Queen or recognise the legitimacy of Britain’s rule over Northern Ireland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/leo-varadkar-sinn-fein-seats-westminster-hard-brexit-abstentionist-a8231281.html

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They didn't recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland.

They recognised the legitimacy of the majority's choice of British rule in Northern Ireland.

They say they don't recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Northern Ireland, but that's precisely what some of us are taking issue with: the cakeism of claiming to be committed to the GFA while rejecting the reality of what it says.

You'll disagree with this, but that's because it doesn't seem to have crossed your mind that maybe not everything Sinn Féin say is gospel truth.

They simply did not.

They didn't recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland. You simply cannot shoehorn that in there, because it isn't there.

That is the wet dream of those who dream about SF capitulating on everything they believe in.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/leo-varadkar-sinn-fein-seats-westminster-hard-brexit-abstentionist-a8231281.html

So SF recognise the choice of british rule as legitimate but not british rule itself , well that makes perfect sense

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They recognised the legitimacy of the majority's choice of British rule in Northern Ireland.

They say they don't recognise the legitimacy of British rule in Northern Ireland, but that's precisely what some of us are taking issue with: the cakeism of claiming to be committed to the GFA while rejecting the reality of what it says.

You'll disagree with this, but that's because it doesn't seem to have crossed your mind that maybe not everything Sinn Féin say is gospel truth.

You are mistaking your opinion of it with the truth.
    The truth being that they have not recognised the legitimacy of British rule.

• Advertisement

So SF recognise the choice of british rule as legitimate but not british rule itself , well that makes perfect sense

Yes, just as someone can recognise the right of the majority to abortion but not the rightness of abortion.

Getting any clearer for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yes, just as someone can recognise the right of the majority to abortion but not the rightness of abortion.
    Its a good analogy, but you can't compare them directly. Accepting the legitimacy of something is not the same as agreeing with something.

FF and FG also aspire to a UI, but they accept the legitimacy of NI's current status. How does the SF position differ from theirs?
    If SF have accepted the GFA, I don't see how there can be any difference.

Problem here is you not understanding what legitimacy means in a political context.

The definition is clear. And SF agreed to it. They signed on the dotted line whatever spin they put on it doesn't change what the GFA says.

The British are the Ultimate authority over NI , that is the legitimate choice of the majority of NI. SF validated this by signing the GFA.They don't like it but they signed up for this and are now part of the infastructure of partion.

recedite wrote: »
    Its a good analogy, but you can't compare them directly. Accepting the legitimacy of something is not the same as agreeing with something.

FF and FG also aspire to a UI, but they accept the legitimacy of NI's current status. How does the SF position differ from theirs?
    If SF have accepted the GFA, I don't see how there can be any difference.

Do a bit of work.

Accepting the majority view that Irish Water has a legitimate right to charge for water does not mean I accept the legitimacy of water charges.

In fact I can legitimately and legally fight water charges long after the vote.

Loads of examples where accepting that a majority have decided something does not mean I that I accept that something.

Does this really need to be explained anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Legitimate has two meanings. One is legal, the holocaust was legal for instance. The second meaning is morally right. British rule in NI is clearly legal but not moral.

• Advertisement

Francie, think you need to read the definition again;

"In political science, legitimacy is the right and acceptance of an authority, usually a governing law or a régime"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

SF have accepted than NI is part of the UK.

They acceded to a devolved administration in an attempt to move the political centre-of-gravity away from Westminster/Britain and they've never made a secret that the GFA is, for them, a vehicle (with no reverse gear) that's destination is a United Ireland.

British rule... Sounds kind of imperialist that. BRITISH RULE! Can't you just hear that in being said in a Jacob Rees Mogg accent?

No Republican has ever accepted British Rule in Ireland. See above.

Francie, think you need to read the definition again;

"In political science, legitimacy is the right and acceptance of an authority, usually a governing law or a régime"

Again the clause in the agreement does not refer to the 'authority, governing law or a regime'

It refers to the legitimacy of the majority view.

Shoehorn away, you are just looking a bit silly at this stage.

Can you find any SF or republican publicly accepting the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland...don't waste more of your time...you won't.

They acceded to a devolved administration in an attempt to move the political centre-of-gravity away from Westminster/Britain and they've never made a secret that the GFA is, for them, a vehicle (with no reverse gear) that's destination is a United Ireland.

British rule... Sounds kind of imperialist that. BRITISH RULE! Can't you just hear that in being said in a Jacob Rees Mogg accent?

I don't think even Jacob Rees would posit such a ridiculous claim.

Either they're committed to it or they're not. If they want the destination to have legitimacy, the journey has to have legitimacy.

The Agreement says that what the people of Northern Ireland want has legitimacy. You seem to be saying that that's only fully true when the people of Northern Ireland happen to want what Sinn Féin want. That's not commitment; that's two-faced dishonesty.
    I don't see how it sounds any more imperialist than "Irish rule", but then I've never really understood the Republican inferiority complex.
    "We are fully committed to the GFA, apart from the bit about legitimacy, unless it's the legitimacy of what we believe in, in which case the Agreement is sacrosanct. Themuns can't have legitimacy."

Again the clause in the agreement does not refer to the 'authority, governing law or a regime'

Shoehorn away, you are just looking a bit silly at this stage.

Can you find any SF or republican publicly accepting the legitimacy of British rule in Ireland...don't waste more of your time...you won't.

Doesn't matter what they , they signed the GFA.

Either they're committed to it or they're not. If they want the destination to have legitimacy, the journey has to have legitimacy.

The Agreement says that what the people of Northern Ireland want has legitimacy. You seem to be saying that that's only fully true when the people of Northern Ireland happen to want what Sinn Féin want. That's not commitment; that's two-faced dishonesty. I don't see how it sounds any more imperialist than "Irish rule", but then I've never really understood the Republican inferiority complex. "We are fully committed to the GFA, apart from the bit about legitimacy, unless it's the legitimacy of what we believe in, in which case the Agreement is sacrosanct. Themuns can't have legitimacy."

Back we go to the limbo dancing.

The majority view is that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Therefore, British rule (sorry JT, didn't mean to startle you with those terrifying words) is legitimate until the majority view states otherwise.
    Of course not. They want to eat their cake and have it: to claim that they're fully supportive of the GFA, while denying what that means in reality.

Back we go to the limbo dancing.

Says the man who waxes Jesuitical over the many nuanced meanings of the word "legitimacy" rather than accept that there's even the faintest possibility that anything Sinn Féin say could ever conceivably be untrue.

Doesn't matter what they , they signed the GFA.

If the majority vote for SF in an election, do you become a supporter of SF? Or do you accept their democratic mandate but continue to object to their policies?

You are not dealing with this anomaly in what you are claiming.

As I said earlier - the dreaming that goes on. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The majority view is that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Therefore, British rule (sorry JT, didn't mean to startle you with those terrifying words) is legitimate until the majority view states otherwise.

Again, profoundly wrong. 'I accept that the majority view it that way. End of'

Of course not. They want to eat their cake and have it: to claim that they're fully supportive of the GFA, while denying what that means in reality.

It doesn't mean that. It means that they accept the legitimacy of the majority to have that view. End of'.

If the majority vote for SF in an election, do you become a supporter of SF? Or do you accept their democratic mandate but continue to object to their policies?

You are not dealing with this anomaly in what you are claiming.

As I said earlier - the dreaming that goes on. :rolleyes:

The regime in this case is Westminister/UK. SF have accepted their authority under the GFA.

Says the man who waxes Jesuitical over the many nuanced meanings of the word "legitimacy" rather than accept that there's even the faintest possibility that anything Sinn Féin say could ever conceivably be untrue.

There aren't many meanings to the word legitimacy and I never waxed anything like that.

There is a sentence in which the word legitimacy is used.

You are bluntly refusing to take on board what that sentence is referring to and it is NOT referring to the legitimacy of British rule, it is referring to the 'legitimacy of the majority to want British rule'.

Do I get to loudly and repeatedly insist that a SF government has no legitimacy?
    It doesn't mean that. It means that they accept the legitimacy of the majority to have that view. End of'.

The Agreement doesn't say that the parties accept that majorities can have views. That would be a pretty trivial and pointless agreement. It says that the legitimate status of Northern Ireland is what the majority want it to be.

Francie, I can tell you're pathologically incapable of conceding this point, but you're wrong. There's no way in hell a treaty was lodged with the UN boldly stating that the parties accept each other's right to hold different views. The entire point of the Agreement is that both parties accept that the legitimate status of Northern Ireland is whatever the majority of its people want it to be.

You're taking the Republican view that "only my side can possibly have legitimacy - I respect the right of others to be wrong, but what they want is necessarily illegitimate by virtue of not being what I want."

That's not only a breathtakingly arrogant perspective, it's self-evidently untrue. Irish rule (sorry if I startled anyone else with my imperialism there) is no more inherently legitimate than British. Legitimacy of government comes from the acceptance of the governed.

All parties to the GFA signed up to the legitimacy of whatever the people decided. One of those parties wants to claim to be supportive of that, while also arguing that it will only be legitimate when it agrees with their aims.

I could no more convince a young-Earth creationist of the validity of evolution than convince you that anything other than your personal beliefs could possibly have legitimacy, but strongly holding a belief doesn't make it true, and Sinn Féin are being two-faced here.

The regime in this case is Westminister/UK. SF have accepted their authority under the GFA.

That is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going na na na.

Goodnight.

Do I get to loudly and repeatedly insist that a SF government has no legitimacy?

The Agreement doesn't say that the parties accept that majorities can have views. That would be a pretty trivial and pointless agreement. It says that the legitimate status of Northern Ireland is what the majority want it to be.

Francie, I can tell you're pathologically incapable of conceding this point, but you're wrong. There's no way in hell a treaty was lodged with the UN boldly stating that the parties accept each other's right to hold different views. The entire point of the Agreement is that both parties accept that the legitimate status of Northern Ireland is whatever the majority of its people want it to be.

You're taking the Republican view that "only my side can possibly have legitimacy - I respect the right of others to be wrong, but what they want is necessarily illegitimate by virtue of not being what I want."

That's not only a breathtakingly arrogant perspective, it's self-evidently untrue. Irish rule (sorry if I startled anyone else with my imperialism there) is no more inherently legitimate than British. Legitimacy of government comes from the acceptance of the governed.

All parties to the GFA signed up to the legitimacy of whatever the people decided. One of those parties wants to claim to be supportive of that, while also arguing that it will only be legitimate when it agrees with their aims.

I could no more convince a young-Earth creationist of the validity of evolution than convince you that anything other than your personal beliefs could possibly have legitimacy, but strongly holding a belief doesn't make it true, and Sinn Féin are being two-faced here.

There's no way in hell a treaty was lodged with the UN boldly stating that the parties accept each other's right to hold different views

:confused::confused: The agreement is full of that.

The right to aspire to Irish Unity for example. The right to an ILA
    Do Unionists now hold those views dear?

Again, your view that they are being two faced is an opinion. Which you are legitimately entitled to hold. But I and all republicans, not just SF totally disagree with it.

You are bluntly refusing to take on board what that sentence is referring to and it is NOT referring to the legitimacy of British rule, it is referring to the 'legitimacy of the majority to want British rule'.

Think about what you're saying, Francie. Think about it. Stop reciting the creed and think.

You're arguing that, prior to the Good Friday Agreement, the parties to that Agreement did not accept the legitimacy of the other parties holding different views to them.

You're arguing that the entire point of the Agreement is that the various parties have reluctantly agreed to accept that it's OK for people to want different things.

You're arguing that the only legitimacy bestowed by a treaty signed by two sovereign governments and lodged with the UN is the legitimacy of a political preference.

If you think that that makes more sense than the interpretation of literally everyone who isn't an Irish Republican - that the Agreement recognises the legitimacy of the consequences of the majority's choice - I honestly don't know what else to say to you.

The Agreement says that what the people of Northern Ireland want has legitimacy. You seem to be saying that that's only fully true when the people of Northern Ireland happen to want what Sinn F want. That's not commitment; that's two-faced dishonesty.

The GFA is a grand exercise in what Henry Kissinger would describe as 'constructive ambiguity'. David Trimble claimed it copper-fastened the so-called union.

Republicans claimed it as an agreement that was a road-map to a UI. It is to its reader what they want it to be on the face of it but at its core it is a one way road and that road doesn't lead to London.
    I don't see how it sounds any more imperialist than "Irish rule"

Ireland doesn't really have a history of planting Flags in places and claiming them for its President.
    but then I've never really understood the Republican inferiority complex.

Pop psychology? Cool. No idea what a 'Republican inferiority complex' is.

That is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going na na na.

Goodnight.

Your posts reminded me of this opinion piece

Adams sold defeat as victory in career based on illusion

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/adams-sold-defeat-as-victory-in-career-based-on-illusion-36584577.html

• Advertisement

The right to aspire to Irish Unity for example.

Come on, Francie. On what planet do you need a treaty to recognise the legitimacy of wanting something?

If a majority in Northern Ireland voted for unification, and the unionist community argued that unification has no legitimacy - the aspiration does, but unity doesn't - would you doff your cap and salute the cleverness of their argument?

Or would you switch sides like a shot and start loudly insisting that it's the implementation of the wishes of the majority that enjoys legitimacy, once they have the good sense to agree with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They accept the democratic will of the people. Nowhere does it say, nor have I ever heard SF or a republican accept that the British presence in Ireland is legitimate.

Apart, of course, from when SF signed the GFA.

Or when all those republicans voted in favour of the GFA?

I’ll be honest Francie - I might have had you pegged as many things based on your posting history, but a dissident was never one of them

You can waffle away about it all you want. But this does not mean they accept the legitimacy of British rule.

They do recognise the legitimacy of what the majority have chosen for now though.

It takes a special level of cognitive dissonance to contradict yourself in the same post.

That cool-aid must be pretty damn strong

As far as I'm aware SF didn't actually sign the GFA so this silly one-upmanship about them accepting British 'Rule' is probably moot.

As far as I'm aware SF didn't actually sign the GFA so this silly one-upmanship about them accepting British 'Rule' is probably moot.

Are you trying to claim that Gerry Adams, Mitchell McLoughlin at al didn’t sign on behalf of Sinn Fein, but just as individuals? That’s a level of nonsense that is surprising even for the BS spouted by some of your fellow travellers on here

blackwhite wrote: »
    Are you trying to claim that Gerry Adams, Mitchell McLoughlin at al didn’t sign on behalf of Sinn Fein, but just as individuals?

No I'm saying that as far as I'm aware (I stand to be corrected on this) the GFA was signed by the two governments and endorsed by the SDLP, UUP, SF and Alliance and was rejected by the DUP.
    That’s a level of nonsense that is surprising even for the BS spouted by some of your fellow travellers on here

What? What's with the aggressive tone? Did I hurt your feelings or something?

According to Michael Gove:

444896.png

www.cps.org.uk/files/MichaelGove.pdf

• Advertisement

It takes a special level of cognitive dissonance to contradict yourself in the same post.

That cool-aid must be pretty damn strong

It's is true of almost every election held in a democracy.

Cool aid as right!

I had to point this out before on here.
    The GFA is an agreement between governments.

Think about what you're saying, Francie. Think about it. Stop reciting the creed and think.

You're arguing that, prior to the Good Friday Agreement, the parties to that Agreement did not accept the legitimacy of the other parties holding different views to them.

You're arguing that the entire point of the Agreement is that the various parties have reluctantly agreed to accept that it's OK for people to want different things.

You're arguing that the only legitimacy bestowed by a treaty signed by two sovereign governments and lodged with the UN is the legitimacy of a political preference.

If you think that that makes more sense than the interpretation of literally everyone who isn't an Irish Republican - that the Agreement recognises the legitimacy of the consequences of the majority's choice - I honestly don't know what else to say to you.

I can argue that in my reality the UUP agreed effectively to the legitimacy of the Irish government's involvement in northern Ireland...but of course they didn't.

Your opinion...is YOUR opinion Oscar, it doesn't become fact however.

No I'm saying that as far as I'm aware (I stand to be corrected on this) the GFA was signed by the two governments and endorsed by the SDLP, UUP, SF and Alliance and was rejected by the DUP.

444896.png

If a DUP representative tried to pull such lies to weasel out of what they’ve signed up to the SF cheerleaders on here would explode with outrage.

The GFA has two elements, and intergovernmental agreement signed by the Irish and UK governments, and a multi-party agreement signed by the two Govts and most of the major NI political parties - excluding the DUP. lienand twist all you want - but not even SF themselves will try and pretend that they didn’t sign this agreement

Section 2 of the multi-party agreement is laid out below. Maybe you want to side with the dissidents and reject the GFA (which you are free to do) but you can’t rewrite history simply because you don’t like it.

CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES

1. The participants endorse the commitment made by the British and Irish Governments that, in a new British-Irish Agreement replacing the Anglo-Irish Agreement, they will:

(i) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status, whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or a sovereign united Ireland;

(ii) recognise that it is for the people of the island of Ireland alone, by agreement between the two parts respectively and without external impediment, to exercise their right of self-determination on the basis of consent, freely and concurrently given, North and South, to bring about a united Ireland, if that is their wish, accepting that this right must be achieved and exercised with and subject to the agreement and consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland;

(iii) acknowledge that while a substantial section of the people in Northern Ireland share the legitimate wish of a majority of the people of the island of Ireland for a united Ireland, the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Irelandüs status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people;

(iv) affirm that if, in the future, the people of the island of Ireland exercise their right of self-determination on the basis set out in sections (i) and (ii) above to bring about a united Ireland, it will be a binding obligation on both Governments to introduce and support in their respective Parliaments legislation to give effect to that wish;

(v) affirm that whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, the power of the sovereign government with jurisdiction there shall be exercised with rigorous impartiality on behalf of all the people in the diversity of their identities and traditions and shall be founded on the principles of full respect for, and equality of, civil, political, social and cultural rights, of freedom from discrimination for all citizens, and of parity of esteem and of just and equal treatment for the identity, ethos, and aspirations of both communities;

(vi) recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Gerry Adams signed the original agreement I think, the DUP, as far as I'm aware, was the only party to oppose the GFA I think also.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21221389

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

444896.png

Very interesting.

If Sinn Fein are arguing that the DUP must implement an Irish Languages Act because it is in the GFA (even though the DUP rejected the GFA) but that Sinn Fein haven't accepted the legitimacy of British rule because it is in the GFA (even though SF endorsed the GFA) does anyone else think that there is a lot more than a little doublespeak and doublethink going on here from Sinn Fein?

Does their hypocrisy have no limits?

If a DUP representative tried to pull such lies to weasel out of what they’ve signed up to the SF cheerleaders on here would explode with outrage.

The GFA has two elements, and intergovernmental agreement signed by the Irish and UK governments, and a multi-party agreement signed by the two Govts and most of the major NI political parties - excluding the DUP. lienand twist all you want - but not even SF themselves will try and pretend that they didn’t sign this agreement

Section 2 of the multi-party agreement is laid out below. Maybe you want to side with the dissidents and reject the GFA (which you are free to do) but you can’t rewrite history simply because you don’t like it.

The DUP never endorsed the GFA.

Btw, the only other significant group who say that SF have accepted the legitimacy of British rule are 'dissidents'. You guys are on message with them. Nice one!

I can argue that in my reality the UUP agreed effectively to the legitimacy of the Irish government's involvement in northern Ireland...but of course they didn't.

For possibly the first time ever, I agree with you. By endorsing the GFA, the UUP did indeed agree to the legitimacy of the limited role for the Dublin government in the affairs of Northern Ireland as set out in the GFA. I would guess from a unionist point of view that it was a small price to pay for the effective surrender of the IRA, the acceptance of the legitimacy of British rule by the nationalist community and the removal of the territorial claim from the Irish constitution.

Your opinion...is YOUR opinion Oscar, it doesn't become fact however.

Some things are facts, including what is in the GFA and what Sinn Fein signed.

So they are not bound by the requirement to bring in an ILA.

Why did you spend pages and pages and weeks of posts to argue the opposite then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    People on here let the DUP off with it?????

What are you talking about?

How do people on here have the power to let the DUP off with anything?

because the likes of yourself and others do nothing but whinge whinge whinge about one side. pretty obvious what I was on about really.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Let's cut out the personal remarks please. If you're starting any post with something along the lines of "people like you..." you're off to a bad start.

Be nice.

Thanks.

Btw, the only other significant group who say that SF have accepted the legitimacy of British rule are 'dissidents'. You guys are on message with them. Nice one!

SF and republicans who voted for the GFA have accepted the legitimacy of British rule in NI, the dissidents are right, unlike the dissidents i don't see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

blanch152 wrote: »

So they are not bound by the requirement to bring in an ILA.

Why did you spend pages and pages and weeks of posts to argue the opposite then?
    Iirc his claim is that it was in the St Andrews Agreement that the DUP agreed to an ILA.

Where this falls down is that the St Andrew Agreement obliges the British Government to introduce an ILA, and not the DUP. As this power was devolved back to NI via Stormont, the British Government no longer had the means to make good on their agreement. 

As the DUP was not named as a party obliged to introduce an ILA, they can block the introduction of an ILA without breaking their side of the St Andrews Agreement.

Acting in bad faith definitely, but acting in bad faith is part and parcel of politics in NI. 

Francie seems to gloss over these facts though.

SF and republicans who voted for the GFA have accepted the legitimacy of British rule in NI, the dissidents are right, unlike the dissidents i don't see anything wrong with that.

Find me a SF person saying that then. Or even a few column inches of press saying that SF have had a Paulian conversion bigger than that of Paul himself.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Iirc his claim is that it was in the St Andrews Agreement that the DUP agreed to an ILA.

Where this falls down is that the St Andrew Agreement obliges the British Government to introduce an ILA, and not the DUP. As this power was devolved back to NI via Stormont, the British Government no longer had the means to make good on their agreement. 

As the DUP was not named as a party obliged to introduce an ILA, they can block the introduction of an ILA without breaking their side of the St Andrews Agreement.

Acting in bad faith definitely, but acting in bad faith is part and parcel of politics in NI. 

Francie seems to gloss over these facts though.

The British Gov agreed to an ILA at St Andrews

• Advertisement
Advertisement