Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language Act in the North: Have Sinn Fein scored a major own goal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I really wish there was some form of words that would make it clear to you what a load of utter tripe you're spouting.

Look: Sinn Féin have taken seats, and accepted ministerial positions, in a devolved regional Assembly of the United Kingdom, set up by the 1998 Northern Ireland Act - an Act of the British Parliament.

Now, they can say that they reject the legitimacy of British rule, but everyone who isn't a slavish disciple of the Sinn-Féin-are-the-only-political-party-in-history-who-have-never-lied religious dogma can see that that's - to put it kindly - a pretty hollow thing to say.

If someone sets up a business in your town and gives you a job, and you show up every morning for work and cash your cheque every weekend, all the while loudly proclaiming that you refuse to accept the legitimate right of that person to own a business - well, you can draw your own conclusions as to what those proclamations are worth.

I know that nothing can persuade you of this. I know that there isn't a power in the universe that could convince you that Sinn Féin are, like all political parties, capable of speaking with forked tongue. What's bizarre is the way you act like I'm the one talking nonsense here. But what does that even mean? You present the idea of refusing to accept legitimacy as if it's just a completely random and inconsequential thought; a throwaway remark.

What are the practical ramifications of your hypothetical refusal to accept the legitimacy of FG as a ruling party? Do you refuse to obey laws enacted by that government? Do you fail to appear in response to a court summons, because the Minister for Justice is a FG member?

Or is it just meaningless rhetoric? Is your idea of refusing to accept the legitimacy of something nothing more than a completely empty political gesture?

Well, if you had just admitted at the start that it is just your opinion of what SF are doing and had not tried first to pretend that a clause in the GFA represented SF accepting the legitimacy of British rule we might not be at this point.

Nice row back all the same. Here is another journalist stating the obvious and still current stance of republicans (who by the way contribute to the society just like other taxpayers and are fully entitled to be paid for politically representing their constituents.)
    Sinn Féin’s objection to entering the Commons chamber is ideological, stemming from its refusal to recognise the legitimacy of British authority in Northern Ireland.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-abstention-policy-means-party-will-stand-but-never-sit-in-westminster-1.2202418

And you could talk until the cows come home about the 'practical ramifications' of political ideologies, so maybe open a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blanch152 wrote: »
    The SF desire for unity is not a problem at all. The problem is their failure to accept the legitimacy of British rule over Northern Ireland. This would include taking their seats in Westminister.

After all, as you point out, when you sign up to something, cherry-picking is not just bad faith, it's breaking the agreement.

What agreement is it you seem to believe SF have signed that compels them to accept the legitimacy of British rule over NI ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

charlie14 wrote: »
    What is relevant is that nowhere in the GFA or the MPA is there a requirement for SF to recognise Westminster`s right to rule NI.
    You seem to be working as hard as Francie to miss the point.

Sure, there's nothing in the GFA that says "anyone who signs up to this agreement recognises Britain's sovereignty over Northern Ireland", because the Agreement makes it clear that sovereignty over Northern Ireland is a matter for its people to decide, and signing up to the Agreement is tacit acceptance of that fact.

Sinn Féin can claim to be committed to the principles of the GFA; and they can also claim that British rule in Northern Ireland has no legitimacy. The problem is that they're contradicting themselves in the process, because the GFA clearly legitimises British rule in Northern Ireland.
    SF have, by signing the MPA recognised the right of the majority to decide. Something the DUP have not put their signature to.
    That to me, if not stupid, is totally arrogant.
    You won't find me arguing against the idea that the DUP are stupid and arrogant. My point isn't about the DUP at all, I'm merely pointing out that Sinn Féin are guilty of doublespeak, and their supporters are guilty of wilful blindness to that fact.

Well, if you had just admitted at the start that it is just your opinion of what SF are doing...
    No. Stop there. You don't get to manufacture from whole cloth a completely fallacious interpretation of what I've said and then gloat about how I've rowed back.

I notice you carefully avoided the key point, which is that Sinn Féin sit in a regional Assembly of the United Kingdom, established by an Act of the British Parliament.

If it suits you to pretend that that's consistent with rejecting the legitimacy of British rule in Northern Ireland, then you pretend away - but have the intellectual honesty not to accuse me of rowing back from anything while you bask in your own fantasies.

I never cease to be amazed at the bizarre acts of self-deception required to be a Sinn Féin supporter.

No. Stop there. You don't get to manufacture from whole cloth a completely fallacious interpretation of what I've said and then gloat about how I've rowed back.

I notice you carefully avoided the key point, which is that Sinn Féin sit in a regional Assembly of the United Kingdom, established by an Act of the British Parliament.

If it suits you to pretend that that's consistent with rejecting the legitimacy of British rule in Northern Ireland, then you pretend away - but have the intellectual honesty not to accuse me of rowing back from anything while you bask in your own fantasies.

I never cease to be amazed at the bizarre acts of self-deception required to be a Sinn Féin supporter.

They sit on a regional assembly in THEIR OWN country and do not swear allegiance to a foreign monarch.

You did row back to just giving an opinion on what SF are doing after starting out by saying it was implicit in a phrase of the GFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭jh79

Status of Northern Ireland
    The agreement acknowledged:

*that the majority of the people of Northern Ireland wished to remain a part of the United Kingdom;

*that a substantial section of the people of Northern Ireland, and the majority of the people of the island of Ireland, wished to bring about a united Ireland.

*Both of these views were acknowledged as being legitimate.

*For the first time, the government of the Republic of Ireland accepted in a binding international agreement that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.

* The Constitution of the Republic of Ireland was also amended to implicitly recognise Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom's sovereign territory,

From wiki.

jh79 wrote: »
    Status of Northern Ireland
    The agreement acknowledged:

*that the majority of the people of Northern Ireland wished to remain a part of the United Kingdom;

*that a substantial section of the people of Northern Ireland, and the majority of the people of the island of Ireland, wished to bring about a united Ireland.

*Both of these views were acknowledged as being legitimate.

*For the first time, the government of the Republic of Ireland accepted in a binding international agreement that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.

* The Constitution of the Republic of Ireland was also amended to implicitly recognise Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom's sovereign territory,

From wiki.

Yes, they are legitimate views, apart from getting excited when you see the word 'legitimate' what is your point?

They sit on a regional assembly in THEIR OWN country and do not swear allegiance to a foreign monarch.
    A regional Assembly OF THE UNITED KINGDOM, established by an Act of the BRITISH PARLIAMENT. Which, according to you, that Parliament had no legitimate right to establish - but they take their seats anyway.

I get that you can tell yourself whatever it is you need to hear in order to convince yourself that Sinn Féin are, uniquely among political parties, guided by a pure and unwavering adherence to principles. To anyone who isn't drinking the Kool-Aid, their hypocrisy is self-evident.

A regional Assembly OF THE UNITED KINGDOM, established by an Act of the BRITISH PARLIAMENT. Which, according to you, that Parliament had no legitimate right to establish - but they take their seats anyway.

I get that you can tell yourself whatever it is you need to hear in order to convince yourself that Sinn Féin are, uniquely among political parties, guided by a pure and unwavering adherence to principles. To anyone who isn't drinking the Kool-Aid, their hypocrisy is self-evident.

A regional assembly of elected Irish MLAs.

Again, that is no statement of acceptance of the legitimacy of British rule.

Not really, no. We had a constitutional amendment to relinquish our sovereign claim to Northern Ireland.

By doing so, the people of Ireland - not just the government, but the people - formally recognised the legitimacy of Northern Ireland's place in the United Kingdom. Some people can't bring themselves to do that, because Reasons - but their dogma has no more bearing on reality than that of a flat-Earther.

No, not really. Britain does not have a codified constitution so no requirement for a referendum to repeal, either the Government of Ireland Act of 1920, or the Northern Ireland Constitution Act of 1973.
    Both were repealed by an act of parliament, and replaced by the Northern Ireland Act of 1998.

Under the Northern Ireland act of 1998 Northern Ireland remains a part of the United Kingdom until or unless a majority vote in a referendum determines otherwise.
    At which point Northern Ireland would be no longer be part of the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

No, not really. Britain does not have a codified constitution so no requirement for a referendum to repeal, either the Government of Ireland Act of 1920, or the Northern Ireland Constitution Act of 1973.
    Both were repealed by an act of parliament, and replaced by the Northern Ireland Act of 1998.

Under the Northern Ireland act of 1998 Northern Ireland remains a part of the United Kingdom until or unless a majority vote in a referendum determines otherwise.
    At which point Northern Ireland would be no longer be part of the United Kingdom.

That was a huge concession by the UK when you think about it. Articles 2 and 3 are actually no longer important in any way because they no longer mattered, only the result of a future referendum, which SF were smart enough to delay (yes I know there were some half hearted calls).

We've clearly reached the point where you're just going to keep ignoring any facts that contradict your carefully-constructed worldview, so there's no point discussing it further.

I have no quibble with any of that. Northern Ireland is legitimately a part of the UK until its people decide otherwise, at which point it will be legitimately a part of the Republic of Ireland. Outside of Republican "let's play make-believe" la-la land, those are objective facts.

We've clearly reached the point where you're just going to keep ignoring any facts that contradict your carefully-constructed worldview, so there's no point discussing it further.

I am debating your world view Oscar...and seriously, it really is just a 'view'.

Francie, do you accept that under the GFA that NI is a legitimate part of the UK? That partition is legitimate?

Francie, do you accept that under the GFA that NI is a legitimate part of the UK? That partition is legitimate?

No.

I accept that the majority want it to be for now.

You seem to be working as hard as Francie to miss the point.

Sure, there's nothing in the GFA that says "anyone who signs up to this agreement recognises Britain's sovereignty over Northern Ireland", because the Agreement makes it clear that sovereignty over Northern Ireland is a matter for its people to decide, and signing up to the Agreement is tacit acceptance of that fact.

Sinn Féin can claim to be committed to the principles of the GFA; and they can also claim that British rule in Northern Ireland has no legitimacy. The problem is that they're contradicting themselves in the process, because the GFA clearly legitimises British rule in Northern Ireland. You won't find me arguing against the idea that the DUP are stupid and arrogant. My point isn't about the DUP at all, I'm merely pointing out that Sinn Féin are guilty of doublespeak, and their supporters are guilty of wilful blindness to that fact.

I feel you are working even harder to miss the point.

SF did not sign the GFA. The only signatories were the British and Irish governments.
    In accepting the GFA, SF accepted what the British accepted in their own 1998 Northern Ireland Act.
    That it would remain in British control until or unless a majority decided otherwise by referendum.
    Their was nowhere in the GFA or the MPA that SF recognised Britain had a right to control Northern Ireland.

I am debating your world view Oscar...and seriously, it really is just a 'view'.

Sure. To a flat-Earther, a globe Earth is just a view. To a young-Earth creationist, evolution is just a theory. To an American conservative, climate change is a conspiracy theory. And, to an Irish republican, the idea of countries having legitimacy over their territory is a question of personally-held beliefs, not objective fact.

There's no arguing against religious dogma.

In accepting the GFA, SF accepted what the British accepted in their own 1998 Northern Ireland Act.
    That it would remain in British control until or unless a majority decided otherwise by referendum.

If Britain has no legitimate right to govern Northern Ireland, how can the Northern Ireland Act have any legitimacy?

No.

I accept that the majority want it to be for now.

Cut and paste from SF website

*(i) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status, whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or a sovereign united Ireland;

*, the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people;

*(v) affirm that whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, the power of the sovereign government with jurisdiction there shall be exercised with rigorous impartiality on behalf of all the people

*. (1) It is hereby declared that Northern Ireland in its entirety remains part of the United Kingdom and shall not cease to be so without the consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland voting in a poll held for the purposes of this section in accordance with Schedule 1.

• Advertisement

If Britain has no legitimate right to govern Northern Ireland, how can the Northern Ireland Act have any legitimacy?

By its own wording it only has legitimacy until or unless a majority decides otherwise.
    At which point the Northern Ireland Act would be an irrelevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

There's a lot of point scoring going on about the fact they're under British rule, for shame on an Irish website really.
    The ideal of the foundations of this state was that eventually it would lead to a united Ireland.
    The situation of course that financially that might never be able to happen, but as an ideal I would think the majority of Irish would certainly still want it.
    Its a funny thing to watch the fact that they're under British rule being used as a tool to rub Sinn Fein faces in it, and by definition their voters north and south.
    SF are a two faced party, but which party isnt?

Cut and paste from SF website

*(i) recognise the legitimacy of whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland with regard to its status, whether they prefer to continue to support the Union with Great Britain or a sovereign united Ireland;

*, the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people;

*(v) affirm that whatever choice is freely exercised by a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, the power of the sovereign government with jurisdiction there shall be exercised with rigorous impartiality on behalf of all the people

*. (1) It is hereby declared that Northern Ireland in its entirety remains part of the United Kingdom and shall not cease to be so without the consent of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland voting in a poll held for the purposes of this section in accordance with Schedule 1.

Again, what is your point?

I accept that is what the majority want for now just like SF.

By its own wording it only has legitimacy until or unless a majority decides otherwise.
    At which point the Northern Ireland Act would be an irrelevance.

OK, so until that time, British rule in Northern Ireland is legitimate?

Again, what is your point?

I accept that is what the majority want for now just like SF.

The present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate.....

Spin away... NI is legitimately part of the UK.

Edward M wrote: »
    There's a lot of point scoring going on about the fact they're under British rule, for shame on an Irish website really.
    I have no quibble with people's desire to see Northern Ireland no longer under British rule. My argument is against the idea that such rule is illegitimate.
    SF are a two faced party, but which party isnt?

I'll make no claim that any political party isn't two-faced. I'm arguing against the idea that somehow SF are exempt.

• Advertisement

I have no quibble with people's desire to see Northern Ireland no longer under British rule. My argument is against the idea that such rule is illegitimate.

I'll make no claim that any political party isn't two-faced. I'm arguing against the idea that somehow SF are exempt.

Ghandi thought British rule in India was illegitimate, what's the big deal?

OK, so until that time, British rule in Northern Ireland is legitimate?

By legitimate are you asking if I believe SF accept British rule while a majority accept it as legitimate? Yes I do.

Do I believe that SF accept that Britain is the legitimate rulers of Northern Ireland? No I do not, nor do I see there is any onus on them to do so.

The present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate.....

In the opinion of the majority.

I don't have the same opinion as the majority.

It's really not that hard to understand.

That is the present wish. Should that change as detailed in Britain`s own Northern Ireland Act 1998, then it no longer would be a part of the UK.
    That is basically the GFA in a nutshell.
    There is no spin in that, and even Britain leaving the EU would not change that.

Havockk wrote: »
    Ghandi thought British rule in India was illegitimate, what's the big deal?

SF and republicans must capitulate fully.
    It's a standard nirthern Unionist position.

• Advertisement

That is the present wish. Should that change as detailed in Britain`s own Northern Ireland Act 1998, then it no longer would be a part of the UK.
    That is basically the GFA in a nutshell.
    There is no spin in that, and even Britain leaving the EU would not change that.

I know, both the present and any future changes in sovereignty are legitimate as long as that is what the majority of the people of NI (remain in the UK) or the majority of the people of the entire Island (reunification) want.

In the opinion of the majority.

I don't have the same opinion as the majority.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Your opinion doesn't change its legitimacy from legal / political science perspective.

Well they made good progress on that front!

Yeh, even a FG Taoiseach is talking about a UI.

Well played de Unionists. :rolleyes:

Your opinion doesn't change its legitimacy from legal / political science perspective.

You need to stop getting excited when you see the word 'legitimacy' and read the rest of the sentence. 'Context' I believe it is called.

Yeh, even a FG Taoiseach is talking about a UI.

Well played de Unionists. :rolleyes:

Actually deleted that post. On reflection unnecessarily anatagonistic.

I know, both the present and any future changes in sovereignty are legitimate as long as that is what the majority of the people of NI (remain in the UK) or the majority of the people of the entire Island (reunification) want.

The really interesting thing I find about the GFA, the subsequent changes to the Republic constitution and the replacement of the British acts of 1920 and 1973 and their replacement with the 1998 act, is that where our constitutional claim was always a dead end of nothing but aspiration on unification, the GFA and the subsequent British 1998 act is a road-map to unification.
    I`m not surprised the DUP didn`t sign the Inter Party Agreement.
    They may be thick, but they aint that thick not to have seen that.

The really interesting thing I find about the GFA, the subsequent changes to the Republic constitution and the replacement of the British acts of 1920 and 1973 and their replacement with the 1998 act, is that where our constitutional claim was always a dead end of nothing but aspiration on unification, the GFA and the subsequent British 1998 act is a road-map to unification.
    I`m not surprised the DUP didn`t sign the Inter Party Agreement.
    They may be thick, but they aint that thick not to have seen that.

Isn't it ironic that they are finding their backs to the wall increasingly as a result of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This discussion is a good example that there is a level of constructive ambiguity in the GFA. For Unionists, at the time at least, the GFA was sold as a copper-fastening of the union and for Republicans it is a vehicle to end British rule jurisdiction and deliver a UI. So who is correct in their assumption?

In its primacy the GFA is a legally binding international agreement that confirms that it is for the people of Ireland north and south 'without external impediment' to decide on a UI. That 'without external impediment' statement is the requirement that the British Government remains neutral on the matter and futher to this:

It will be a binding obligation on both Governments to introduce and support in their respective Parliaments legislation to give effect to that wish.

www.britishirishcouncil.org

Perhaps that's why the DUP were against the GFA and in 2018 are aching for direct rule that they considered a betrayal in 1972.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Technically, a regional assembly of elected UK MLAs.

Politically, Northern Ireland is not part of Ireland.

This discussion is a good example that there is a level of constructive ambiguity in the GFA. For Unionists, at the time at least, the GFA was sold as a copper-fastening of the union and for Republicans it is a vehicle to end British rule jurisdiction and deliver a UI. So who is correct in their assumption?

In its primacy the GFA is a legally binding international agreement that confirms that it is for the people of Ireland north and south 'without external impediment' to decide on a UI. That 'without external impediment' statement is the requirement that the British Government remains neutral on the matter and futher to this:

It will be a binding obligation on both Governments to introduce and support in their respective Parliaments legislation to give effect to that wish.

Perhaps that's why the DUP were against the GFA and in 2018 are aching for direct rule that they considered a betrayal in 1972.

In my opinion (and it is only an opinion) this was the British withdrawal.
    They gave up the ghost to get this agreement over the line.
    What unionism dare not admit is that in the GFA the British are saying they no longer care. They will offer no defence of the union when a majority vote.

That effectively means they see Irish Unionists as 'other'

• Advertisement

I thought it was called the Northern Ireland Assembly. Irish MLA's elected to a Northern Irish Assembly.

100% correct imho.
    The GFA is riddled with ambiguity but if there is one thing crystal clear from it and the subsequent British act of parliament it is the commitment from the British on the acceptance that a majority vote can change the status of NI.
    I imagine that did not go down well with the DUP in particular, but other than refusing to sign the Multi Party Agreement there was nothing they could do about it.

The closeness in the last Belfast Assembly vote I would say really spooked them and the 10 in London in particular, with it not affecting their positions, were keen to ensure the Assemble stays in-operational plus all the cross border institutions associated with the GFA.
    They DUP in Westminster in particular are more than happy to go back to direct rule hoping the GFA will go away.

It would be ironic that if there is a hard border due to their support for the Tories on Brexit, the economic fallout in NI could actually be the cause of a majority voting for unification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

You're the first I've heard say it that way. It implies that there are members elected from the UK in general, which isn't the true depiction of it really.
    Its a regional assembly of elected NI MLAs.
    Technically also, any member with an Irish passport is also viewed as IRISH, so it could be said it has Irish members!

I thought it was called the Northern Ireland Assembly.
    Yes. As in "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
    Irish MLA's elected to a Northern Irish Assembly.

Is there a legal requirement that they be Irish?

I didn't think we could delve deeper into the semantic/pedantic well. I was wrong :)

It would be ironic that if there is a hard border due to their support for the Tories on Brexit, the economic fallout in NI could actually be the cause of a majority voting for unification.

Any economic fallout could cause those down south to vote against reunification especially if brexit causes a slow down in our economy also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are UK MLAs.

They are UK MLAs.

Far as I can see they are Irish MLA's sitting in the Northern Ireland Assembly which is a part of the UK until a majority decides otherwise.

The UK is a fabricated union of several nations.

Also known as Tionól Thuaisceart Éireann or in Ulster-Scots as Norlin Airian Assemblie I believe.

If nothing else that alone shows how the EU rated Ulster-Scots as nothing more than an English dialect.

• Advertisement

Any economic fallout could cause those down south to vote against reunification especially if brexit causes a slow down in our economy also.

If there was a referendum on the border it would be a matter for the population of Northern Ireland, not the Republic.

Advertisement