Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Language Act in the North: Have Sinn Fein scored a major own goal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Apparently, in SF-land, defying the whip is the same as impugning the reputation and hard work of a murdered public servant, judging by the punishment meted out to Deputy Nolan......

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/976512018822975489?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jawgap wrote: »
    Apparently, in SF-land, defying the whip is the same as impugning the reputation and hard work of a murdered public servant, judging by the punishment meted out to Deputy Nolan......

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/976512018822975489?s=21

Did P.T vote with or against the party ?

I'm not sure who PT is but good luck to them whoever they are.

I'm not sure who PT is but good luck to them whoever they are.

P. Toibin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah, SF narrative #2.......the "SF are better than others because their sins are known" - that presumes people are willing to overlook those sins, it also presumes, rather ridiculously, that SF are being completely transparent about those sins :D

......so now we're expected to believe that SF are the champions of probity in public life, as well as the party of law and order, and the party of the environment.......as a group they would certainly not be out of place in a Terry Gilliam film :D

....next they'll be trying to persuade people that shinnernomics is the essence of prudence :D

You keep insisting on a narrative and perceived agenda. I've been quite clear.
    I don't believe they would view much of the troubles as 'sins'. That's your spin. 'Sins' infers regretful wrong doing. Putting your idea and faux morals on the actions of others.
    And you go on to twist. Not saying they are a bastion of transparency.
    You can keep slipping in propaganda and I'll get bored denying things I never eluded to. But that's the crux and point of a SF thread; keeping throwing in ifs and buts to get to a good slag. Great debate that man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't believe they would view much of the troubles as 'sins'. That's your spin. 'Sins' infers regretful wrong doing. Putting your idea on the actions of others.
    And you go on to twist. Not saying they are bastions of transparency.
    You can keep slipping in propaganda and I'll get bored denying things I never eluded to, but that's the crux of a SF thread, keeping throwing in ifs and buts to get to a good slag. Great debate that man.

And therein lies the kernel of the problem. The vast majority of Irish people - around 80% I would guess - would view most if not all of the acts committed by the IRA as sins and as being far outside normal behaviour.

It is the main reason why SF struggle to get above 15% in elections. Until we see some distance between the past and today, that will never change.

blanch152 wrote: »
    And therein lies the kernel of the problem. The vast majority of Irish people - around 80% I would guess - would view most if not all of the acts committed by the IRA as sins and as being far outside normal behaviour.

It is the main reason why SF struggle to get above 15% in elections. Until we see some distance between the past and today, that will never change.

I don't believe that 80%. Any stats or a link? Anyway, it matters not. They are affiliated by choice so obviously not in your 80%.
    Folks are trying to argue that the senator should not have the opinion Stack was a sadist. That's the great thing about opinions, I can't say you are 100% wrong, but I can disagree. Generally when people kill someone it's because of a dislike.

I don't believe they would view much of the troubles as 'sins'. That's your spin. 'Sins' infers regretful wrong doing. Putting your idea and faux morals on the actions of others.
    And you go on to twist. Not saying they are a bastion of transparency.
    You can keep slipping in propaganda and I'll get bored denying things I never eluded to. But that's the crux and point of a SF thread; keeping throwing in ifs and buts to get to a good slag. Great debate that man.

I'm just pointing out that SF and their acolytes have a repertoire, somewhat limited, of responses to criticism......stretching from simple deflection and whataboutery to various narratives that are intended to suggest SF is better than other parties and/or more virtuous - that have all the substance of a soaked paper bag.

I don't believe that 80%. Any stats or a link? Anyway, it matters not. They are affiliated by choice so obviously not in your 80%.
    Folks are trying to argue that the senator should not have the opinion Stack was a sadist. That's the great thing about opinions, I can't say you are 100% wrong, but I can disagree. Generally when people kill someone it's because of a dislike.

I'm guessing the fact SF rarely poll above 20% suggests 80% disagree with them.......the polls are the stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He skipped out on the vote (presumably with the intention of avoiding another suspension for voting against the party)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Doubtful the killers would agree with you. However this isn't about the killing itself. As I've said the retweet was in bad taste but labeling someone a sadist is opinion based on belief. It can be argued he was and it can be argued he wasn't.

That's nonsense. You've absolutely nothing to back that up, but if it suits your bias, go with it.
    I didn't commend the senator. I simply said it wasn't sackable. I fully supported the sacking of the kingsmill buffoon. We can go down the 'whatabout' road if you like.

Other than, of course, your posting history which is there for all to see. Some fairly clear evidence of bias there for anyone who follows these forums.

You’ve claimed it wasn’t even worthy of suspension - never mind sackable - don’t start trying to backtrack when the posts are there for all to see.

He skipped out on the vote (presumably with the intention of avoiding another suspension for voting against the party)

Seen that on the indo (I think) earlier.

Said he had family reasons for not being able to make it.

That was some stroke of bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Seen that on the indo (I think) earlier.

Said he had family reasons for not being able to make it.

That was some stroke of  bad luck.
    Is there any available data on how each individual td voted?

I'd be interested to to see how many TDs, across all parties, were unable to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Is there any available data on how each individual td voted?

I'd be interested to to see how many TDs, across all parties, were unable to make it.

There's a guide to the vote here in the examiner.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/half-of-ff-tds-vote-against-eighth-referendum-468614.html

No, we are not trying to argue that the senator should not have the opinion Stack was a sadist.

What we are saying is that holding that opinion makes her unfit to be a public representative. Similarly, she can have the opinion that the legal age of sexual consent should be 8 or the opinion that it is ok for gangs to murder gardai, but those opinions would also make her unfit to be a public representative.

There is a subtle but important distinction.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/party-leaders-unite-in-call-for-sinn-fin-senator-to-resign-over-stack-tweet-36726796.html

Pretty much every political leader is calling for her to resign (other than SF obviously).

I don't see why that's important tbh:confused:

blackwhite wrote: »
    Other than, of course, your posting history which is there for all to see. Some fairly clear evidence of bias there for anyone who follows these forums.

You’ve claimed it wasn’t even worthy of suspension - never mind sackable - don’t start trying to backtrack when the posts are there for all to see.

Bias infers no reason just 'cause. I always have an actual issue. If you don't like it, talk to FG. I can see it's bothersome for folks who 'look after their own'.

As regards the retweet, no back track. Your are spinning yarns. It was in bad taste. It didn't warrant any action in my view. If senators were elected by the public, I mightn't give her my vote, but it's her opinion. Not actionable IMO.
    No, we are not trying to argue that the senator should not have the opinion Stack was a sadist.

What we are saying is that holding that opinion makes her unfit to be a public representative. Similarly, she can have the opinion that the legal age of sexual consent should be 8 or the opinion that it is ok for gangs to murder gardai, but those opinions would also make her unfit to be a public representative.

You are confused. An opinion on a persons nature and legislation are different things. We vote on legislation and yes, people have opinions. Having an opinion isn't a crime. You're embarrassing yourself at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Lets not forget that the period Stack was in Portlaoise was around the time of the Heavy Gang with Paddy Cooney Minister for Justice.

jm08 wrote: »
    Lets not forget that the period Stack was in Portlaoise was around the time of the Heavy Gang with Paddy Cooney Minister for Justice.

Let's also not forget that SF have a habit of denigrating the reputation of their victims as a way of indirectly suggesting their murder was somehow justified - it's becoming something of regular occurrence of which this is just the latest example....along with suggesting McConville was some kind of agent for the British and McCabe had roughed up some 'RA-head.

Incidentally, has the good senator explained why she was even following such a parody account that originally published the tweet (and has since "up and vanished like a fart in the wind)?

Let's also not forget that SF have a habit of denigrating the reputation of their victims as a way of indirectly suggesting their murder was somehow justified - it's becoming something of regular occurrence of which this is just the latest example....along with suggesting McConville was some kind of agent for the British and McCabe had roughed up some 'RA-head.

Incidentally, has the good senator explained why she was even following such a parody account that originally published the tweet (and has since "up and vanished like a fart in the wind)?

All people/governments/parties speak ill of people they have intentionally killed. It makes sense. Of course these killings are deemed justified.
    The laboured arguments might work if people involved had a change of opinion about the victim after the fact.

• Advertisement

When did Sinn Fein justify Stacks murder?

All people/governments/parties speak ill of people they have intentionally killed. It makes sense. Of course these killings are deemed justified.
    The laboured arguments might work if people involved had a change of opinion about the victim after the fact.

.....only by a few - thankfully.

btw, if Senator Devine's 'opinions' are within the bounds of reasonableness, even for SF, how come she got her holliers early?

The IRA apologised to all the families of the disappeared in 2003.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ira-issues-apology-to-families-of-disappeared-1.506521

Have you a link to where they claimed she was an agent after that apology?

Gerry Adams met with Jean McConville's son and apologised to the family on behalf of the Republican movement.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/mcconville-family-gerry-adams-1188907-Nov2013/

Don't think you need to follow an account to pick up on tweets. Are you suggesting now that the parody account was set up by Devine to have a go at the Stack family now? :rolleyes:

.....only by a few - thankfully.

btw, if Senator Devine's 'opinions' are within the bounds of reasonableness, even for SF, how come she got her holliers early?

Now you're gasping ;)

When did Sinn Fein justify Stacks murder?

Ah, the ol' SF trick of responding to something that wasn't written as if it was......

I never said they directly justified those murders only that they are quite passive when it comes to suggesting that certain narratives are indeed false.

.....it's a dog-whistle for their acolytes.

jm08 wrote: »
    The IRA apologised to all the families of the disappeared in 2003.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ira-issues-apology-to-families-of-disappeared-1.506521

Have you a link to where they claimed she was an agent after that apology?

Gerry Adams met with Jean McConville's son and apologised to the family on behalf of the Republican movement.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/mcconville-family-gerry-adams-1188907-Nov2013/

Don't think you need to follow an account to pick up on tweets. Are you suggesting now that the parody account was set up by Devine to have a go at the Stack family now? :rolleyes:

The ol' non-apology apology - apologising for the "grief caused" is hardly saying "we were wrong" - it's an apology for prolonging the period during which the remains of the people they murdered were not found - hardly an apology for killing them in the first place.

But look if that's good enough for SF and their followers then good luck to them.......and I doubt anyone expects them to hand over the murderers? That kind of suggests that words, unsupported by actions, are just words - and pretty meaningless ones.

Ah, the ol' SF trick of responding to something that wasn't written as if it was......

I never said they directly justified those murders only that they are quite passive when it comes to suggesting that certain narratives are indeed false.

.....it's a dog-whistle for their acolytes.

So you just indirectly implied they justified it, and simultaneously whinge about indirect justification?

Jesus.

The ol' non-apology apology - apologising for the "grief caused" is hardly saying "we were wrong" - it's an apology for prolonging the period during which the remains of the people they murdered were not found - hardly an apology for killing them in the first place.

But look if that's good enough for SF and their followers then good luck to them.......and I doubt anyone expects them to hand over the murderers? That kind of suggests that words, unsupported by actions, are just words - and pretty meaningless ones.

Yet words, one of their, allegedly, own calling Stack a 'sadist' gets the blood up? Odd that. Stands to it just being a mere vehicle to score points. Faux moral outrage.

Gerry Adams to Jean McConville's son:

He says to me for what it’s worth Michael, I’ll apologise to you… he says it was wrong, he says, for the Republican movement, the murder of your mother. He says, it was wrong of the Republican movement to treat your family and yourself the way what they did. He says, I am sorry for what had happened your mother and I’m sorry for what happened to your family.

Sinn Fein is no worse than Fianna Fail or Fine Gael after the War of Independence and Civil war. For instance, Frank Aiken, known as 'The Butcher of Altnaveigh' for his part in the murder of 7 innocent Presbyterians in retaliation for the rape of a Catholic woman. He was a founding member of Fianna Fail and became a prominent Government Minister.

• Advertisement

On the one hand people say we should move on, yet any opportunity to bring up issues pertaining to the troubles.
    Mind, anything 'historic' regarding the civil war parties is dismissed as irrelevant.
    As I said, plenty to criticise Sinn Fein for, politically, in this country, this century. Pales in comparison to the shenanigans of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, so maybe that explains things.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/950483/?__twitter_impression=true

I see the Senator has been fulsome in her apology to the Stack family, and that the leader of Sinn Fein has also apologised. If they are sincere, that might be the end of it. However, it is over to Austin Stack to see if the apology is accepted and whether there are any weasel words in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I see the Senator has been fulsome in her apology to the Stack family, and that the leader of Sinn Fein has also apologised. If they are sincere, that might be the end of it. However, it is over to Austin Stack to see if the apology is accepted and whether there are any weasel words in it.

In all fairness his acceptance or not of it dissent change the sincerity or not of it either ways.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/stack-family-still-waiting-for-personal-apology-after-senators-sadist-tweet-36782822.html

It seems the apology was for show and hasn't been followed through with a personal apology to the Stacks. Is it a case of her apologising for the hurt she caused and the upset but not apologising for the label she placed on Stack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,242 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/stack-family-still-waiting-for-personal-apology-after-senators-sadist-tweet-36782822.html

It seems the apology was for show and hasn't been followed through with a personal apology to the Stacks. Is it a case of her apologising for the hurt she caused and the upset but not apologising for the label she placed on Stack?

She retweeted someone else's 'label'.

Should Austin not be going after them? :rolleyes:

The indo need to make up their minds.

This was the headline from the 27th of March....

5OAl3d.jpg

You don't need me to explain to you that the indo are rehashing a story, any story will do, at Shinner bashing blanch, do you?

And of course, like a moth to a fire light, you zoned in on it.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,767 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The indo need to make up their minds.

This was the headline from the 27th of March....

5OAl3d.jpg

You don't need me to explain to you that the indo are rehashing a story, any story will do, at Shinner bashing blanch, do you?

And of course, like a moth to a fire light, you zoned in on it.

:D

Lad is entitled to display his views ,Dogs.

Not everyone like yourself thinks the Shinners can do no wrong.

Letting yourself down, mate.

Indeed he is. Absolutely. (Who's trying to stop him though:confused:) even if some of his views are fundamentally wrong.
    The shinners can do lots wrong, so much so that looking for measly rehashed non story's like the indos should be rightly laughed at.

First they run a story about your one making a public apology to the family, (some infer that the apology wouldn't be sincere unless the stack family accept it. Lol)
    Then they run a story that about how she hasn't apologised to the family (in person) a paper never refuses ink as they say.

I'm ok with that.

Thing is, it isn't his view. It is a manufactured story to conform to his view.

Who said she was going to go to the Stacks personally anyway?
    Austin Stack doesn't strike me as a reasonable man willing to accept an apology.

He had no problem attacking the headstone of a recently dead father and husband and has never saw fit to apologise for his intemperate outburst.

Thing is, it isn't his view. It is a manufactured story to conform to his view.

Who said she was going to go to the Stacks personally anyway?
    Austin Stack doesn't strike me as a reasonable man willing to accept an apology.

People who defend Sinn Fein don't really get it, do they?

Why would Austin Stack be a reasonable man, given the lies he was told for years and when some of the truth was finally revealed, most was kept hidden and Sinn Fein keep insulting his father's memory? Seriously?

He had no problem attacking the headstone of a recently dead father and husband and has never saw fit to apologise for his intemperate outburst.

Was that some innocent man?

People who defend Sinn Fein don't really get it, do they?

Why would Austin Stack be a reasonable man, given the lies he was told for years and when some of the truth was finally revealed, most was kept hidden and Sinn Fein keep insulting his father's memory? Seriously?

I think she was right to apologise for not fully reading the tweet she retweeted.
    Of course it hurt.

She has done so.
    Glad you agree he doesn't come across as reasonable.

I am sure those who alleged they were brutalised by the heavy gang and prison authorities feel similar about the truth. But some people think all that was fine if it happened and don't want it inquired into. Under the carpet it will go like so much in Ireland.
    At least the IRA did eventually say what happened. (and they have no intention and never had of handing over anybody until there is a full and transparent truth process, which will also reveal what went on in the gardai and Prison Service before you waste time asking them or expecting them to.)

Was that some innocent man?

No suprise that you think the family of a SF man is not due any peace to grieve.
    I doubt the hissy fit about his grave affected Martin. I'm sure Mr Stack didn't realise that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No suprise that you think the family of a SF man is not due any peace to grieve.
    I doubt the hissy fit about his grave affected Martin. I'm sure Mr Stack didn't realise that. :rolleyes:

You said he attacked the headstone:

I haven't seen any evidence of him attacking the headstone or defacing it or damaging it. I have seen this:

http://www.thejournal.ie/martin-mcguinness-headstone-3345470-Apr2017/

It is fair comment. Martin McGuinness was a convicted terrorist and self-admitted member of the IRA. That is known and proven truth.

Really, that is "attacking the headstone"?

You said he attacked the headstone:

I haven't seen any evidence of him attacking the headstone or defacing it or damaging it. I have seen this:

http://www.thejournal.ie/martin-mcguinness-headstone-3345470-Apr2017/

It is fair comment. Martin McGuinness was a convicted terrorist and self-admitted member of the IRA. That is known and proven truth.

Really, that is "attacking the headstone"?

Really, do we need to do this?

'Criticize or oppose fiercely and publicly.'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/attack

Really, do we need to do this?

'Criticize or oppose fiercely and publicly.'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/attack

You know, Martin McGuinness was involved in the organisation that killed his father, and you are criticising him for not liking the wording on the headstone.

Amazing.

You know, Martin McGuinness was involved in the organisation that killed his father, and you are criticising him for not liking the wording on the headstone.

Amazing.

He had loads of opportunities to attack the idea that the IRA style themselves as Óglaigh na hÉireann but he chose the erection of a gravestone.

Did Martin McGuinness forgive? Did he put aside grievances and go beyond what might be expected of him?

He was a bigger man than Stack was in this context in fairness. There is a time and a place.

He had loads of opportunities to attack the idea that the IRA style themselves as Óglaigh na hÉireann but he chose the erection of a gravestone.

Did Martin McGuinness forgive? Did he put aside grievances and go beyond what might be expected of him?

He was a bigger man than Stack was in this context in fairness. There is a time and a place.

There was nothing for McGuinness to forgive.

There is an awful lot he needs to be forgiven for.

There was nothing for McGuinness to forgive.

There is an awful lot he needs to be forgiven for.

Ok.

We'll leave that one there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This thread is about Sinn Fein's stance on an Irish language act in Northern Ireland. Its gone waaaay off-topic and descended into the usual SF-related sniping between the usual suspects.

The forum is for debate, not bickering. If you're looking for trench warfare, look elsewhere.

I've changed the thread title to make clear what this thread is about.

Thanks.

Given that it has emerged that the DUP have lied about what they agreed, the question asked in the OP has been answered anyway.

Did Sinn Fein score an own goal from the DUP reneging on something they had agreed to, and wanted to be introduced by all the other major party's in the north?

Surely the answer is a big hefty resounding no.

Given that it has emerged that the DUP have lied about what they agreed, the question asked in the OP has been answered anyway.

Did Sinn Fein score an own goal from the DUP reneging on something they had agreed to, and wanted to be introduced by all the other major party's in the north?

Surely the answer is a big hefty resounding no.

Like so many things in politics, it all depends on your perspective.

If you take the view that Sinn Fein should hurl from the ditch and pontificate from the high moral ground, without actually having to make any decisions, then there wasn't an own goal.

If you take the view that it is better for Sinn Fein to actually be in government and to take part in the devolved government, be able to have a say on Brexit from a position of authority, and take the image of power back from the DUP in Westminister, then yes, it was an own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

So bending over and telling the DUP they can do whatever they like, renege on any promises they make, exhibit any and all corruption they want.....and SF will still sit in government with them with no consequences....THAT takes the image of power back from the DUP?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement