Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Updates failing

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Two in particular
    My laptop has been trying to install them for two days now
    February 13, 2018—KB4074588
    KB 4074595
    Slowing everything down
    What can I do? Just let it keep trying and eventually they will go through or what
    When I select task manager the poor old disk is showing 100% usage :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Troubleshooting -> Fix problems with Windows update. Run it and it should fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Steve F wrote: »
    Two in particular
    My laptop has been trying to install them for two days now
    February 13, 2018—KB4074588
    KB 4074595
    Slowing everything down
    What can I do? Just let it keep trying and eventually they will go through or what
    When I select task manager the poor old disk is showing 100% usage :confused:

Is it a new pc/laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Is it a new pc/laptop?

No

Did you get it working?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Did you get it working?

Nope
    It's the one ending 4588
    It downloads, requests a restart and then says it fails when I check the updated list.
    Then the whole process starts again
    Maddening to say the least

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Nope
    It's the one ending 4588
    It downloads, requests a restart and then says it fails when I check the updated list.
    Then the whole process starts again
    Maddening to say the least

I had the same problem.

Back up everything, just in case

Go to this page and download the update assistant it will take some time but will update to the latest version of win 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

Let me know how you get on

Have you have tried the solution on the community forums? window-10-update-for-kb4074588

It looks like a few people are having problems with that update. (KB4074588)

Have you have tried the solution on the community forums? window-10-update-for-kb4074588

No but I will try that this evening...oh and thanks I will let you know tomorrow;)

It looks like a few people are having problems with that update. (KB4074588)

Tried the above.After a few restarts I left it saying "Awaiting restart"
    It's in a loop :(
    Bit flummoxed as what to do next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it have enough space? On my netbook they kept failing because of that. It needed to do the creator update. Tried it again the other day and it gave me the option to install from an external drive which was an option I didn't have before. This time it all worked but took like half a day with about 3 reboots. I used ccleaner to dump all the temp files afterwards.

What was odd was that some updates downloaded ages ago but wouldn't install until updates downloaded more recently installed. there was a weird order to it.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Does it have enough space? On my netbook they kept failing because of that. It needed to do the creator update. Tried it again the other day and it gave me the option to install from an external drive which was an option I didn't have before. This time it all worked but took like half a day with about 3 reboots. I used ccleaner to dump all the temp files afterwards.

What was odd was that some updates downloaded ages ago but wouldn't install until updates downloaded more recently installed. there was a weird order to it.

Yeah should be plenty of space
    I might run a disc clean up tonight and even a defrag and check temp internet files the lot see what happens.I have my doubts that is it tho
    Thanks for all the help so far Guys

Maybe roll back some updates then reinstall them...

Maybe roll back some updates then reinstall them...

I was only thinking that a few mins ago...I think that will be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6 harleyb

You may apply restore point, it might help!

Were you able to fix the issue OP?

Were you able to fix the issue OP?

Turns out my Hard Drive was failing...had to get it replaced
    Laptop absolutely flying now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Does anyone have a fix for this? Laptop working perfectly, new windows update began, took forever and ever, powered off laptop and then the probs began.

Laptop will after an age get to home screen, try to open anything and it just goes into “working” mode and that’s it. It doesn’t go any further

How can Microsoft get away with wrecking people’s computers with their crappy forced updates

Help please. Badly need laptop for work

I remove a bunch of the latest installed updates then try again that usually fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭MenloPete

vicwatson wrote: »
    Does anyone have a fix for this? Laptop working perfectly, new windows update began, took forever and ever, powered off laptop and then the probs began.

Laptop will after an age get to home screen, try to open anything and it just goes into “working” mode and that’s it. It doesn’t go any further

How can Microsoft get away with wrecking people’s computers with their crappy forced updates

Help please. Badly need laptop for work

I have this issue too.
    Only thing I could do was mark the update as hidden, so it doesnt keep trying to install.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Hope that helps...
    Peter

I remove a bunch of the latest installed updates then try again that usually fixes it.

But how? Considering it takes an age to get to home screen then can’t access anything

• Advertisement

I thought you mean for updates not installing as that's what the thread is about.

I now realise your laptop has a different problem of slowing to a crawl. It may be that the hard drive is failing. I would make sure you have a recent back up before doing anything else. Do you?

If it's a work laptop you should be giving it back to them to sort out?

I thought you mean for updates not installing as that's what the thread is about.

I now realise your laptop has a different problem of slowing to a crawl. It may be that the hard drive is failing. I would make sure you have a recent back up before doing anything else. Do you?

If it's a work laptop you should be giving it back to them to sort out?

The thread title is “windows 10 updates failing”

Hard drive not failing, relatively new laptop, it’s directly related to the Microsoft update that began

I’d be giving the laptop back to myself that’s why I’m trying to sort it out.

Windows 10 hammers hard drives both with updates and constantly indexing. I expect it causes a lot more hard drives failures than previous.

Go into safe mode and try something from there. I think you can go back to last safe restore point.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

I have HP compaq desktop core i5 originally win7 - successfully upgraded to win10 and second update
    running win10 ver 1607 last year until creators update
    when it tried to update to creators it failed ; giving message unable to update a system running from a USB drive ( it wasnt )

Microsoft explanation was "HP drivers are not updated for win 10"

I accept i has reached its limit and functions satisfactorally at ver 1607 for me but I cant stop the incessant attempts to continue upgrade-

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mfredin

Go into safe mode and try something from there. I think you can go back to last safe restore point.

That really only works if you regularly set-up restore points and/or have it scheduled to create them. Your average user would most likely not have them. - Booting into Safe Mode is a good idea though as it will allow you to troubleshoot if you're having issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

MrTime wrote: »
    I have HP compaq desktop core i5 originally win7 - successfully upgraded to win10 and second update
    running win10 ver 1607 last year until creators update
    when it tried to update to creators it failed ; giving message unable to update a system running from a USB drive ( it wasnt )

Microsoft explanation was "HP drivers are not updated for win 10"

I accept i has reached its limit and functions satisfactorally at ver 1607 for me but I cant stop the incessant attempts to continue upgrade-
    I had a similar issue, the Fall Creator update kept failing and repeatedly downloading and trying again.
    Disabling tasks, services etc. didn't fix it, however I did note it uses a folder for the files, c:\Windows10Upgrade. So to block it, I deleted this folder, created it again manually and changed permissions so no users have access.

I still get a popup message stating it can't access the folder, but no hogging of my broadband or daily reminders to schedule the update.

mfredin wrote: »
    That really only works if you regularly set-up restore points and/or have it scheduled to create them. Your average user would most likely not have them. - Booting into Safe Mode is a good idea though as it will allow you to troubleshoot if you're having issues.

Its on by default. Average user will have them unless they've actually turned them off.

Daemonic wrote: »
    I had a similar issue, the Fall Creator update kept failing and repeatedly downloading and trying again.
    Disabling tasks, services etc. didn't fix it, however I did note it uses a folder for the files, c:\Windows10Upgrade. So to block it, I deleted this folder, created it again manually and changed permissions so no users have access.

I still get a popup message stating it can't access the folder, but no hogging of my broadband or daily reminders to schedule the update.

I downloaded the whole thing to a USB stick and did a fresh reinstall. Sorted out the machine I had problems with .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I downloaded the whole thing to a USB stick and did a fresh reinstall. Sorted out the machine I had problems with .
    I have it downloaded to USB too ready for a reinstall. But really can't be bothered right now so the directory permissions will give me a few weeks/months peace until I get around to it.

Advertisement