Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Cancellation Fees

Options
  • 16-02-2018 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

We want to book an Early Bird in a particular Restaurant in Dublin before going to a Performance for which we have Tickets. The Restaurant in question wants a pre-authorisation of €60 on my Credit Card which it will take in the event of a Cancellation less than 5 days ahead of the reservation.

I have never heard of this before and we have eaten at this Restaurant before though not for about 18 months. We don't live in Dublin and don't get out there very often as we have young children.

Is this a common thing now ?

TBH in the unforseen event that we do need to cancel we know that we will lose the money already paid for the performance but I don't want to lose another €60 as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

That's ridiculous. Don't give them a penny. Never heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I agree with it 100%. I've seen so many restaurants turn away business while tables with 'Reserved' on them are sitting empty. After 30-40 mins of waiting I've seen staff remove the sign and rearrange the tables from a table of 10 or so, back to tables for 2.

It's apparently a huge problem.

Can you imagine ordering a taxi, asking him to wait outside for 30 mins and then telling him, 'nah you're alright'. Or as happens with restaurants, don't say anything and ignore his phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Getting more common now. I can understand it from the restaurant's perspective as I've a friend in the business who has told me the effect non-showing bookings has on his bottom line. However, 5 days is a bit much - it it was, say 48 hours, I would think it a bit fairer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I would understand if we simply did not show up for a Reservation but for instance if I phoned the day before (or even 4 days before) and cancelled they will still charge.

We really like this place and had been looking forward to going there but I think that we will look for somewhere else now.

I would also understand more for large Bookings but we are 2 people.

The €60 is also more than the cost of the 2 Course Early Bird Menu which we intended to have !

SusanC10 wrote: »
    The €60 is also more than the cost of the 2 Course Early Bird Menu which we intended to have !

I know I already posted saying I agree with it but in this case it is a bit excessive. Maybe the €60 is a standard charge, but 5 days is a bit much. If they can fill the table with walk ins then cancelling that morning should be enough notice.

Not cancelling at all or last minute should definitely carry some kind of charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

One person i work with regularly makes arrangements to go for meal with friends. She usually makes bookings well ahead of the date at 3 or 4 different places and then texts the group asking which they would prefer to go to closer to the time.
    She then usually cancels the other bookings a couple of days before the meal when the decision has been made - if she remembers to.

If there are others who do this regularly as well then I can see it being a real problem for restaurants who end up having to turn other genuine bookings away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Wheety wrote: »
    It's apparently a huge problem.

Can you imagine ordering a taxi, asking him to wait outside for 30 mins and then telling him, 'nah you're alright'. Or as happens with restaurants, don't say anything and ignore his phone calls.

Stuff like this happens a lot with Uber/Grab/EasyTaxi.

People will get them all to send a car, and they'll hop into the first one to arrive. Only Uber charge a tiny fee for a missed collection.

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Stuff like this happens a lot with Uber/Grab/EasyTaxi.

People will get them all to send a car, and they'll hop into the first one to arrive. Only Uber charge a tiny fee for a missed collection.

I would agree with a charge in this case too and they will come in if this is an issue for too long. At the moment they're all vying for business so probably won't bring it in just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I agree with the concept, but the amount and notice period in this case is a bit excessive, particularly for a table for two - maybe it was reasonable for Valentine's Day?

Restaurants operate on very tight margins and staff, as a general rule, are not well paid. They cant afford to lose business through no-shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I booked a restaurant in town and they have asked me to pay a €50 deposit. Seems to be quite normal these days, especially if its groups of more than 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

This is becoming the norm now but the terms in this case seem a bit excessive! The restaurant is obviously sick of being stung! Be interested to know where I can get a nice dinner for two for less than €60 though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wheety wrote: »
    Maybe the €60 is a standard charge, but 5 days is a bit much.
    If 60 is standard they should think about it more, as they have put off this customer. If a single person is going at an earlybird or lunch is charged 60, and if a a party of 6 going later on (full price) are also 60 then it would be stupid.

The price should be based on the estimated loss of profit, not the price of the meal. So it is ludicrous that they are charging more than the OP was planning on spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

rubadub wrote: »
    If 60 is standard they should think about it more, as they have put off this customer. If a single person is going at an earlybird or lunch is charged 60, and if a a party of 6 going later on (full price) are also 60 then it would be stupid.

The price should be based on the estimated loss of profit, not the price of the meal. So it is ludicrous that they are charging more than the OP was planning on spending.

Probably a €30 per head charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »

Loss of profit and sunk costs add up to rather a lot of the total price - rates wages insurance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Its the norm in many countries.

Most restaurant seats are filled by reservations - the walk up market for the better restaurants is not that big.

Foods is ordered a few days in advance. A good chef will be able to manage the menu in a way that most fresh food is consumed whilst its at its best.

Staff are rostered at least a week in advance.

Its relatively easy to order extra food froma supplier - but difficult to send back / take items off an order with little notice.

Similarly its unfair to tell staff at short notice that they are not required.

€60 is probably excessive - €20/head is probaby better. But non-shows are a huge issue for restaurants - why should they be at a loss for those who change their mind at the last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. As a parent of toddler we don't get out as much as used too but issues can arise that you might not be able to make a well intentioned meal e.g child sick, babysitter cancelled.

I wouldn't go near any restaurant who had this policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why does the charge have to be linked to the price if the meal?

It's there to discourage flakes who waste the restaurants time and money by making bookings they don't keep, as long as it does that effectively then nothing says that it needs to be the same price as meal option A or B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

appledrop wrote: »
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous. As a parent of toddler we don't get out as much as used too but issues can arise that you might not be able to make a well intentioned meal e.g child sick, babysitter cancelled.

Your children are your problem, not the restaurants. They are running a business, the reason for someone not turning up doesn't change them losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

A well run business won't have this problem. Our most popular restaurant rings everyone on the day of their booking to check everything ok. This way they have reduced people not turning up + restaurant is always packed.

Update:- I decided to phone again and spoke to a Manager and explained my dissatisfaction with their policy. Also explained that we have eaten there before and enjoyed it and the circumstances of our Booking this time with the Show etc.
    He explained why they have the Policy in question which is due to No Shows in particular from larger parties at weekends.
    But he agreed to waive the Deposit and took my reservation without Credit Card Details over the phone. I in turn agreed to phone and cancel should anything unforeseen occur.

Happy with the outcome.

Btw - the Deposit is €30 per person and the 2 course Early Bird is €25 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A well run business won't have this problem. Our most popular restaurant rings everyone on the day of their booking to check everything ok. This way they have reduced people not turning up + restaurant is always packed.

Assuming they can get new business at that short a notice. Which is a big assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Restaurants are being forced to turn to this due to the number of “no shows”. It’s quite a big problem with large parties and at festive times of year. Restaurants were reporting 30%, 40% no shows before Christmas.

In your case, the Ts&Cs did seem excessive, so I’m glad you were able to resolve it with the manager. Hopefully they’ll apply your feedback to their policy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One the big complaints you’ll hear from restrateurs is that they rang the person on the day of the booking, who confirmed their table, but then never showed up. This is really hurting restaurants at the moment, especially the smaller ones. Nothing to do with them not being “well run” but more so to do with a lack of basic manners from their potential customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We want to book an Early Bird in a particular Restaurant in Dublin before going to a Performance for which we have Tickets. The Restaurant in question wants a pre-authorisation of €60 on my Credit Card which it will take in the event of a Cancellation less than 5 days ahead of the reservation.

I have never heard of this before and we have eaten at this Restaurant before though not for about 18 months. We don't live in Dublin and don't get out there very often as we have young children.

Is this a common thing now ?

TBH in the unforseen event that we do need to cancel we know that we will lose the money already paid for the performance but I don't want to lose another €60 as well.

thats sound use a different resturant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tough.

The restaurant still has to pay its staffs wages, rent, overheads, butchers bill etc , regardless of whether your child has a snotty nose or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I think 5 days notice is excessive!!! Especially for a table of two !most hotels allow you 24 hours to give notice to cancel a room and a restaurant which can more than likely fill a seat with walk ins expects 5 days?!!
    There are plenty more restaurants around, vote with your feet and choose one of them.
    I can understand a booking fee for a large number but not for a table of two. Can’t see these type of restaurants staying in business too long if they decide to go down this route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Courtesy is a two way street. I would be willing to bet most no shows don't bother to ring. It's the same phenomenon you can see with out-patient appointments, where the staff forlornly call lists of names for only a few to show up.

Restaurants with these policies are only reacting to rude punters. I don't blame them, though 5 days is excessive.

Advertisement